Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 11, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #62,641 of 75,326
Anyone have experience with the **** PT2022? I am being offered a pair for free because of another order I made and I'm wondering which resistance to get. They come in 365ohm, 275ohm, 147ohm, and 32ohm. I know that in some models the resistance can make all the difference with one model sounding great, but the same one in a different resistance sounding so-so or worse. My natural inclination would be to go for 275 or 365 because I have found that higher resistance insmall drivers tends to let them open up and become quite expressive with proper amp power, but this is obviously far from universal. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.
Why does it change S-e-n-f-e-r to **** in my post?

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #62,642 of 75,326
Anyone have experience with the **** PT2022? I am being offered a pair for free because of another order I made and I'm wondering which resistance to get. They come in 365ohm, 275ohm, 147ohm, and 32ohm. I know that in some models the resistance can make all the difference with one model sounding great, but the same one in a different resistance sounding so-so or worse. My natural inclination would be to go for 275 or 365 because I have found that higher resistance insmall drivers tends to let them open up and become quite expressive with proper amp power, but this is obviously far from universal. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.
Like it's older sister the PT2021, the higher impedances are recommended. Avoid the 32Ω version!

More here about the PT2021... they are very similar sounding and tuned to the newer PT2022. The PT2022 has been tuned for slightly more bass that is about it sound wise. Please note that the general "house sound" of this brand can be quite fatiguing for the treble sensitive.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #62,643 of 75,326
I am sorry, I didn't answer only because of all the ones I have/have heard, the Chaconne are really the only ones that are neutral. Though I would consider the Yincrow RW2000 the closest to neutral I have heard besides the Chaconne (the RW3000 could be considered bright neutral, or W depending on your sensitivity levels and where they lie). All the rest are either warm, bright, or W shaped.

The Smabat ST10S Black and Gold doesn't really fit any of those. I would call them a deep U at the lower end but a small little dip, then back up again in the upper mids, making a lopsided W.

Thanks, RW2000 is well below my budget, probably will get it in a month or so.

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #62,644 of 75,326
Hey guys, a pair of Simponio Dragon 3s that I totally forgot I had ordered showed up at my house today. I don't get home for two more days so I was hoping you guys could help assuage my curiosity and tide me over by telling me what to expect. I bought them because they were a set that was highly recommended by the friend of mine who helped guide me into looking for the best buds to try out for the few high end buds I want for the top of my collection.

Just wanted to share some quick thoughts and ask for impressions on those Simponio Dragon 3s. I hope I didn't sound too ridiculously amateur...lol!
Regarding the 2021 Simphonio (Sunrise Audio - HiSoundAudio) SW-Dragon 3 Plus; 120Ω (aka SWD3+)...

I have heard and/or owned all of them (Dragon series) starting from the original Sunrise Audio SWD from c2010 all the way up to the latest released model the SWD3+ and they have progressively gotten better with each model release and have gotten warmer and less brighter as well. I didn't really care for the first two early models which I found to be shouty and harsh (quite aggressive) and they were also quite excited which really wore me out. It wasn't until I heard the SWD2+ that I started to appreciate their signature and started recommending them... though be warned that although they are slightly warm-leaning they do exhibit some treble leanings (slightly bright characteristics) as well. The SWD2+, SWD2LE, SWD3, and the new SWD3+ all exhibit a slightly naughty sharpness in the treble area which I personally still find to be quite fatiguing.

The Simphonio SWD3+ is great (the warmest of the entire series) but you must like treble and not turned off by bright characteristics. The SWD3+ does offer more details and better timbre than either the SWD3 or the SWD2+ which I found to be very similar (believe I liked the lower impedance SWD2+ better than the SWD3). The Simphonios are quite resolving probably perfect for critical listening such as grand dynamic classical pieces.

Price - Value wise Simphonios are way overpriced but that is only my opinion and they are good earbuds nonetheless and sat on my Earbuds God-Tier List for good reason (additional info).

2021 - Simphonio (Sunrise Audio - HiSoundAudio) SW-Dragon 3 Plus; 120Ω (aka SWD3+)
2020 - Simphonio (Sunrise Audio - HiSoundAudio) SW-Dragon 2 Limited Edition; 120Ω (aka SWD2LE)
2019 - Simphonio (Sunrise Audio - HiSoundAudio) SW-Dragon 3; 150Ω (aka SWD3)
2017 - Simphonio (Sunrise Audio - HiSoundAudio) SW-Dragon 2 Plus; 16Ω (aka SWD2+)
2012 - Sunrise Audio (HiSoundAudio - Simphonio) SW-Dragon II; 120Ω (aka SWD2)
2010 - Sunrise Audio (HiSoundAudio - Simphonio) SW-Dragon; 150Ω (aka SWD)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #62,645 of 75,326
Last thing I wanted to bring up is the Ucotech ES-P1. These are by no means cheap, but for what you get they are definitely worth every penny. Hands down the best and most impressive earbud I have heard so far and despite only being involved with the earbud hobby for a few months I have heard and own(ed) some of the best. These are the most detailed earbuds by far. The low end is deep and punchy and it hits hard when called for but can also be quite delicate and reserved when asked to be so by the track. Their low end is the most lively, articulate, dynamically sophisticated, and powerful I have ever heard in an earbuds even over my Aiwa HP-V99s which the vintage community thinks of as being the holy grail of earbuds for its similar low end qualities. The ES-P1's mids are spacious and loaded with detail, rendering male and female vocals with equal aplomb, giving distorted guitars plenty of crunch, and tom strikes/fills nice punch, quick attack, and equally quick decay. The treble extends well and allows you to hear every micro detail and all the shimmering cymbals you could want. I have heard otherd say that the treble is the weakness of the ES-P1, but I must disagree. It seems to me that it was intentionally tuned to be somewhat conservative in its presentation so as not to become the focus of the music, rather just a part of or controbutor to it and I think Ucotech was quite successful in executing this tuning. The ES-P1s also have the best build quality of any earbud I have ever come across. They are machines from solid brass and they come with perhaps the best stock cable I have ever seen. I will likely never get rid of my ES-P1s. They are truly a work of art both visually and sonically.
The ES-P1 are indeed beautifully engineered and very, very, very well-made... easily in my top three flatheads for aesthetics only...

WoodyLuvr's All-Time Top Fifteen Flathead Earbuds by Aesthetics Only

They didn't suit my preferences though... they didn't fair so well with my picky tastes and sensitive ears; more here.

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #62,647 of 75,326
Regarding the SWD3+...

I have heard and/or owned all of them now starting from the original Sunrise Audio SWD from c2010 all the way up to the latest released model the SWD3+ and they have progressively gotten better with each model release. I didn't really care for the first two early models which I found to be shouty and harsh (quite aggressive) and they were quite excited which really wore me out. It wasn't until I heard the SWD2+ that I started to appreciate their signature and started recommending them though be warned they are treble leaning (slightly bright). The SWD2+, SWD2LE, SWD3, and the new SWD3+ all exhibit a slightly naughty sharpness in the treble area which I personally still find to be quite fatiguing.

The Simphonio SWD3+ is great if you like treble and are not turned off by bright characteristics. The SWD3+ does offer more details and better timbre than either the SWD3 or the SWD2+ which I found to be very similar (believe I liked the lower impedance SWD2+ better than the SWD3). The Simphonios are quite resolving probably perfect for critical listening such as grand dynamic classical pieces.

Price - Value wise Simphonios are way overpriced but that is only my opinion and they are good earbuds nonetheless and sat on my Earbuds God-Tier List for good reason (additional info).

2021 - Sunrise Audio (HiSoundAudio > Simphonio) SW-Dragon 3 Plus; 120Ω (aka SWD3+)
2020 - Simphonio (Sunrise Audio - HiSoundAudio) SW-Dragon 2 Limited Edition; 120Ω (aka SWD2LE)
2019 - Sunrise Audio (HiSoundAudio > Simphonio) SW-Dragon 3; 150Ω (aka SWD3)
2017 - Simphonio (Sunrise Audio - HiSoundAudio) SW-Dragon 2 Plus; 16Ω (aka SWD2+)
2012 - Sunrise Audio (HiSoundAudio - Simphonio) SW-Dragon II; 120Ω (aka SWD2)
2010 - Sunrise Audio (HiSoundAudio - Simphonio) SW-Dragon; 150Ω (aka SWD)
I actually tend to like bright signatures and I don't often think they're fatiguing unless they're really too bright. In which case, I wouldn't like them anyways. I like all kingds of sound signatures, butany of my favorite headphones and earbuds would be considered bright. For example, many think the TK Viridis is bright, ome think it's too bright, and it's one of my favorite earbuds I have heard so far regardless of price and will remain in my collection for sure.

Aug 11, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #62,648 of 75,326
Like it's older sister the PT2021, the higher impedances are recommended. Avoid the 32Ω version!

More here about the PT2021... they are very similar sounding and tuned to the newer PT2022. The PT2022 has been tuned for slightly more bass that is about it sound wise. Please note that the general "house sound" of this brand can be quite fatiguing for the treble sensitive.

I went ahead and grabbed the 365 version so thanks for the advice. I checked out your god tier list and I have tried, currently have, or am waiting for most of them it seems. Though I am surlrised you liked the AT Iron Triangle so much. It was good, but not for me. Which is a good thing in the end because you can have all the AT CM2000Tis and I can have the Ucotech ES-P1s. Do we have a deal? LOL

Aug 11, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #62,649 of 75,326
CAX Red Dragon, but tweaked to have less warmth to be more clinical sounding. After discussing my preferences and musical tastes and all that jazz the Red Dragon was what he recommended and he said he thought he could tweak it to make it perfect for me.

Do you have a Cypherus model?
I am currently working with Herry @ Cypherus Audio (CAX); commissioning a special custom earbud project for me. Very excited to say the least. Will keep all posted once it starts to move along which will take some time though as he is extremely busy at the moment.

Aug 11, 2022 at 2:23 AM Post #62,650 of 75,326
I went ahead and grabbed the 365 version so thanks for the advice. I checked out your god tier list and I have tried, currently have, or am waiting for most of them it seems. Though I am surlrised you liked the AT Iron Triangle so much. It was good, but not for me. Which is a good thing in the end because you can have all the AT CM2000Tis and I can have the Ucotech ES-P1s. Do we have a deal? LOL
That Earbud God-Tier List was not a personal list... but rather simply those god-tier models that were currently available back when I supported and updated the list. It is now defunct. So, personally I was not a huge fan of the Audio-Technica ATH-CM2000Ti... it was too bright for my listening tastes but nonetheless a very good earbud worthy of being listed as God-Tier... though I really do think it is a tad too expensive no matter how well built it may be. My personal flathead favorites are listed here.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #62,651 of 75,326
That Earbud God-Tier List was not a personal list... but rather simply those god-tier models that were currently available back when I supported and updated the list. It is now defunct. So, I was not a huge fan of the Audio-Technica ATH-CM2000Ti... it was too bright for my listening tastes but nonetheless a very good earbud worthy of being listed as God-Tier... though I really do think it is a tad too expensive no matter how well built it may be. My personal flathead favorites are listed here.
Sir, is there any major difference between Yinman 600 ohms mmcx againts the long stem wooden one, the one listed in your personal favorite?

Aug 11, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #62,652 of 75,326
Sir, is there any major difference between Yinman 600 ohms mmcx againts the long stem wooden one, the one listed in your personal favorite?
None, really that I can detect. Longyao-Yinman 龙谣音曼 have been uncannily consistent with the 600Ω line across all versions, re-runs, and/or editions. Very surprising! The mmcx version is no longer available unless you find NOS/NIB somewhere (doubtful, as I hunted around hard for them) or you buy second-hand from someone.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #62,653 of 75,326
I am currently working with Herry @ Cypherus Audio (CAX); commissioning a special custom earbud project for me. Very excited to say the least. Will keep all posted once it starts to move along which will take some time though as he is extremely busy at the moment.
Herry was nice enough to offer to make all the tweaks I wanted snd says he will rename the earbud "in my honor" lol! He's a nice guy for sure!

I also just ordered a Rider 1 from Riku based on his recommendation as to which of his buds he thought would fit my tastes best. I'm so stoked to get to own a genuine Rikubud like the ones I've heard so much about!

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #62,654 of 75,326

Custom just for you? Wow

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #62,655 of 75,326
Actually I was thinking about writing him to mod my otherwise perfect but driver-less MDR-E484s. We talked once, he was so nice and kind, so when I'll have more money, I plan to ask him for the honor :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back