Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 28, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #62,178 of 75,671
I think you're just being a tiny bit too harsh. That graph is taken from the product's page. It's marketing. Plain and simple.
Same as the ubiquitous 20Hz...20Khz, which can be considered a half-truth at most. Especially for buds.

Nobody trusts marketing any longer. This is one of the major reasons why we're here. If producers would be 100% honest with their products, we'd have almost nothing to talk about. It's also the power of this forum: we have each other to shield ourselves from lies. This is our defense. I know I'd be lost otherwise.
And for headphones, it's pretty straightforward. We've been lied to for so long that we've built natural defenses and just ignore the lies.

But we're not always fortunate enough to detect the marketing.
I was eating a pizza with a beef topping, a few years back. And, while happily chewing, I realized that the tiny "beef" cubes were
actually made of soy. I looked at the menu. The menu boldly stated "beef topping" (priced accordingly).
Looked again at the topping... soy taste and texture. I got caught off guard because I didn't expect such blatant lie.
And it happened from a large pizza chain, not the pizzeria at the corner of the street.

Be aware of marketing you don't expect. That's the most dangerous.
I've read something that still gives me the chills. Please look over the CT section of this article :
It seems that companies producing CT machines keep their radiation dose low by the power of .... marketing.
There are a lot of pamphlets about how safe x-ray and CT machines are. That's just marketing.
Saddest thing is that nobody questions those measurements. Radiation is painless. Nobody even thinks those CT machines could be dangerous for your health and you can go back from a full body CT scan with brand-new cancer cells.

I guide myself by the following rule: If there's a product spec that can't be (easily) measured, then it's probably fake.

On the other hand, some producers can't afford to be honest while all the other ones are lying. Not all the buyers are knowledgeable like the users on this forum. and for them specs matter.
Just look at the contrast ratios for normal TVs. Any real figure would be so low in comparison, normal buyers won't even consider such a TV.
Just like the TV wall at brick and mortar stores. Any TV that doesn't look their brightest on the wall will not be a success no matter how good it is otherwise.
Even if the universe around us is not as bright as a supernovae(ok, ok, some exceptions are true: actual supernovae).
Think of it the other way: You're fortunate enough to afford the luxury of being honest. That's an amazing feat.

But I do see your point. Marketing is bothering me too... Quite a lot. I've developed a sensitivity to screens(computer and otherwise)
due to probably just sitting for too long in front of them.
I'd love for screen producers to just show accurate(ish) measurements of how much eye-strain their products create. But that's probably never going to happen.
They're not even giving us any kind of information of the brand/type of the ever-brighter white LEDs they use.

Bottom line: Our existing process is amazing: Somebody sees a new pair of headphones that looks interesting to the eye. Someone else orders them. Then posts a couple of impressions, determining others to try them. This is how we discovered great pairs of buds. This is how we poured our money into deserving headphones. Any pair that was overpriced and/or subpar was quickly dismissed.
The only reason I don’t know if it’s marketing is because it looks so bad LOL. If I was marketing earbuds, I’d at least post some good looking graphs like this one :)

Attachments

• 09962D58-3B6F-45CD-AFCA-5114B77991FF.jpeg
    09962D58-3B6F-45CD-AFCA-5114B77991FF.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 0
Jul 28, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #62,179 of 75,671
The only reason I don’t know if it’s marketing is because it looks so bad LOL. If I was marketing earbuds, I’d at least post some good looking graphs like this one :)
If it IS marketing, they aren't doing themselves any favors with that graph are they? :scream:

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #62,180 of 75,671
IMG_1633.jpg
IMG_1634.jpg

I have been loving the Longyao Yinman 龙谣音曼 2.0 600Ω Limited Edition. These buds are warm for sure but they give me such a lovely warm enveloping feeling and I am loving it! They only other "headphone" that has given me such a feeling is the UM Mest Indigo. I am still burning in the Yinman and am looking forward to seeing how these develop!

Jul 28, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #62,181 of 75,671

I have been loving the Longyao Yinman 龙谣音曼 2.0 600Ω Limited Edition. These buds are warm for sure but they give me such a lovely warm enveloping feeling and I am loving it! They only other "headphone" that has given me such a feeling is the UM Mest Indigo. I am still burning in the Yinman and am looking forward to seeing how these develop!
Look forward to hearing more from you about these.

I have had mine for a few weeks now, and I STILL am in love with them!

Edit: OH! What are you driving them with? And congratulations .... :)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #62,184 of 75,671
Has anyone heard both Yinman 600 and Toneking TO600 and can share impressions please? Im in the market :D
About the Toneking, HungryPanda said "In a word - Lovely"
And:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-toneking-discussion-lounge.914904/post-15181861

And as you have seen about the Yinman, several people on here really like these alot also, but I haven't seen any comparisons, or even any reviews to speak of (for either of them for that matter). @WoodyLuvr will know.. :)

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #62,185 of 75,671
Look forward to hearing more from you about these.

I have had mine for a few weeks now, and I STILL am in love with them!

Edit: OH! What are you driving them with? And congratulations .... :)
I have tried them with different sources. They sound good straight out of my Lenovo ThinkPad, better out of my M7 and the best out of my Topping D70s/Singxer SA1 or Topping D70s/Aune X7s. These babies scale so well and will reward you with power. Sublime!

Jul 28, 2022 at 11:42 PM Post #62,186 of 75,671
I have tried them with different sources. They sound good straight out of my Lenovo ThinkPad, better out of my M7 and the best out of my Topping D70s/Singxer SA1 or Topping D70s/Aune X7s. These babies scale so well and will reward you with power. Sublime!
I'll bet they do?! It has been much the same with me, going from lesser power to more power. I think, now that I am used to them, I might do some foam "rolling". Gonna' try the Heigi foams next and see how that goes. I think the stock foams are thin, unless I miss my guess.

I really didn't think much of the cable in the beginning, but I have to say it has grown on me. That's not to say I like it any better, but it has just never gotten in the way or drawn adverse attention (like tangling, and etc...). It stays in the background (which makes it pretty good after all). :)

I'm certainly surprised at just HOW good they still sound out of very little power. That's not to say that I won't be feeding these monsters some power, they just crave it... LOL

Edit: BTW! Off topic a bit, but looking at your gear, you have the CRA. You really SHOULD try the CRA+. They are just that much different than the CRA, while still having the CRA DNA (though I still like the OG CRA in a lot of situations). /end off topic :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #62,187 of 75,671
I'll bet they do?! It has been much the same with me, going from lesser power to more power. I think, now that I am used to them, I might do some foam "rolling". Gonna' try the Heigi foams next and see how that goes. I think the stock foams are thin, unless I miss my guess.

I really didn't think much of the cable in the beginning, but I have to say it has grown on me. That's not to say I like it any better, but it has just never gotten in the way or drawn adverse attention (like tangling, and etc...). It stays in the background (which makes it pretty good after all). :)

I'm certainly surprised at just HOW good they still sound out of very little power. That's not to say that I won't be feeding these monsters some power, they just crave it... LOL

Edit: BTW! Off topic a bit, but looking at your gear, you have the CRA. You really SHOULD try the CRA+. They are just that much different than the CRA, while still having the CRA DNA (though I still like the OG CRA in a lot of situations). /end off topic :thumbsup:
+1 on the cable. At first my feeling was "meh" but it is not too bad. It is a little microphonic though so wish I could cable roll. The other thing is that my right ear aches a little with it after a few hours of use but nothing too bad.

Thanks for the rec on the CRA+. Have just purchased!

Jul 29, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #62,188 of 75,671
Has anyone heard both Yinman 600 and Toneking TO600 and can share impressions please? Im in the market :D
My personal opinion: hands down the Longyao-Yinman龙谣音曼 2.0 600 Limited Edition.

To be completely honest the Toneking TO600 has been a polarizing earbud on this thread... many have liked it (@HungryPanda, @FranQL, @davjac84) and just as many have not liked it (myself, @seanc1441, @Alex.Grimm). We all have different ears and listening preferences (tastes).

I didn't think there was anything special about the Toneking (MrZ - MusicMaker) TO600. It was not bad sounding or anything like that... just nothing remarkable about it. The bass roll off is very noticeable on these... it happens somewhere in the mid to sub bass region but they do make up for it with super emphasized upper-mid to upper bass frequencies due to their being of semi-closed back design. Though this semi-closed back design does come with it's drawbacks: their signature can be a little aggressive and harsh sounding in the upper mids for certain listeners. Their staging is a little "narrow" sounding. And they exhibit noticeable bass bleed into the midrange. Nonetheless, they are very warm and pleasant sounding earbuds. Probably perfect for acoustic music and perhaps certain vocal heavy genres.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #62,189 of 75,671
Great summary of the Cypherus earbuds!

I have not heard from Herry since before the corona pandemic. I hope he's okay. He used to send a short e-mail when he was working on something new. I last heard from him in 2019. In 2018 we met at e-earphone in Akihabara in Tokyo, Japan. That's when I bought my pair of Zoomfred and got to listen to the White Campfred.

I follow Cypherus in Facebook but nothing new has been posted there for over 2 years. Also a Head fier sent me a pm with questions this spring, since the Head fier did not get a reply from Herry.

Herry told me that he goes to Akihabara 1-2 times a year to buy parts for earbuds and other audio related projects. But Japan has not accepted tourists since the pandemic started and has not opened up yet. I'm here right now with my family but I had to apply for a VISA to get in (My wife's Japanese so I get to enter as a relative). If Herry cannot get good parts he might not be able to focus on his hobby right now. Anyway, I hope he's okay.

Glad to see some old names here.
I hope Herry is well!

We last wrote to each other in February of this year.

He made two "special" costum (Aiwa HP V99 shell and own drivers and other materials) "CAX V99 Monitor" earphones for me in 2021 and 2022. In my opinion, they sound better than my CAX Black Edition earphones - or any other earphones I own.
I'm glad to hear that! I did not contact him directly but thought it was strange that the head fier who contacted me did not get a reply from Herry. Also that Herry has not updated the Cypherus Facebook page for a long time.
I have been in contact with Herry and he is well... just busy with other business and family-life. Currently, he and I are finalizing the details of a special commission mod project that will take some time due to his busy schedule. I will surely keep you all posted.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #62,190 of 75,671
My personal opinion: hands down the Longyao-Yinman龙谣音曼 2.0 600 Limited Edition.

To be completely honest the Toneking TO600 has been a polarizing earbud on this thread... many have liked it (@HungryPanda, @FranQL, @davjac84) and just as many have not liked it (myself, @seanc1441, @Alex.Grimm). We all have different ears and listening preferences (tastes).

I didn't think there was anything special about the Toneking (MrZ - MusicMaker) TO600. It was not bad sounding or anything like that... just nothing remarkable about it. The bass roll off is very noticeable on these... it happens somewhere in the mid to sub bass region but they do make up for it with super emphasized upper-mid to upper bass frequencies due to their being of closed-back design. Though this closed-back design does come with it's drawbacks: their signature can be a little aggressive and harsh sounding in the upper mids for certain listeners. Their staging is a little "narrow" sounding. And they exhibit noticeable bass bleed into the midrange. Nonetheless, they are very warm and pleasant sounding earbuds. Probably perfect for acoustic music and perhaps certain vocal heavy genres.

Good!!!! the stock sound on these isn't bad, it's kind of bright which makes them useless to me for long listening sessions and they were mercilessly stripped. Know that TO600 is a 500 ohm driver + a resistor, the design is not closed, it has a large opening at 6 o'clock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back