Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 24, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #61,696 of 75,538
DDs and planars both have their pros and cons. DDs do some things very well... I always found imaging and timbre to be better (more accurate and natural); more punch and slam in the bass; and generally more impact from the music in the mids and treble with DDs rather than planars.

There are a number of earbuds that I found to have better timbre and imaging than full-size over-ear planars. My LCD-2s gathered dust when I came upon my PureSounds PS100-600S earbuds.

We all hear differently and have varied preferences which really throws a REAL BIG monkey wrench into the machine.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #61,697 of 75,538
Got these @Kobemghri Gojibuds today & really liking them. Packaging is nice and cute and the build quality of the buds and cable is great.

Sonically, details and texture across the lower frequencies are excellent. Nice punchy mid bass with a smooth transition to mids. Treble is somewhat rolled off but the open back steps in to provide staging and airiness without being fatiguing at all. A solid recommend. I think my daughter wants the Juniors now!

Very cool! Enjoy!

2022 - Kobe Audio w/ Goji-Fi Godzilla Goji-Buds Senior (64Ω)​
2022 - Kobe Audio w/ Goji-Fi Godzilla Goji-Buds Junior (32Ω)​

Kobe Audio has had some interesting earbuds.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #61,698 of 75,538
I find buds to be perfect for in the office. I typically have 1 bud in so I can hear office chatter or if anyone needs me for anything/question. Also good spatial awareness just because I am not at home. Easy to quickly remove one if needed and quickly set back onto the ear. Picked up 4 pairs so far this year, each have their own little thing that I love.

FYI, if anyone has a Blur Wraith in 4.4 termination collecting dust, I would love to own one :)

Jun 24, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #61,699 of 75,538
I understand completely the awareness of placebo, but I have A/B tested the Fengru and the 560S, and the Fengru is very very close in terms of detail retrieval. And the Fengru does have slightly tighter bass, which is remarkable considering the bass is much more prominent than the Sennheiser.

Obviously, the big boy eats the earbud in some areas. And might seem I said otherwise, but I was not putting the Sundara and the Fengru in the same place. The Hifiman, as it should, munches the tiny Fengru in any area.
Oh no, I didn't mean to say that you might be experiencing placebo at all. It was more of a theoretical question related to finding that "gem"..... :)

But I might also suggest that given the right ones, I believe earbuds can definitely "munch" many full sized headphones IMHO.

Jun 24, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #61,701 of 75,538
Jun 24, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #61,703 of 75,538
Really! But maybe they are referring to their previous line-up? A buy back program for previous models? The wave of the future is: MODULAR!
Truly modular and good design concept. 6 or 7 different bud driver modules, don't feel earbuds for a day, then go with the full range balanced armature. Choose cable for highest quality sound or go wireless for freedom from cables.

Jun 25, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #61,705 of 75,538
Smabat seem to be very active right now.
But, as much a i like their creativity, i'll wait before buying: i feel they are the kind of guys who have a lot of ideas, often good ideas, but they often don't let their projects mature.
It sometimes give wonderful things, but some buds which could have been state of the art with some more time on the design board (St20 Pro) were a bit..."meh.." because they were a little rushed, i think.

Also, as much as some of us tend to rush on new "Flavor of the month", if you change your linup too often, your models can't become iconic (ex: Shozy BK, VE Zen...not the very best earbuds of the World, right, but they have become points of comparison for the market)

Jun 26, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #61,706 of 75,538
1656229437797.png

which driver from smabat that most valuable and best performance?

Jun 26, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #61,707 of 75,538
1656229437797.png

which driver from smabat that most valuable and best performance?
I find that Smabat is unique in the way they tune their buds. There seems to be some forwardness in the upper-mids, lower-treble region which you either hate or learn to acquire a taste for. I am loving my M3Pro (which I did not at first) and while I am still burning it in, my ST-10s Gold. These seem more balanced, though the unmistakable Smabat sound is still there.

I really do hope Smabat gains some traction and survives what is becoming a competitive segment!

Jun 26, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #61,709 of 75,538
Do any of the Smabat drivers have deent bass?

Jun 26, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #61,710 of 75,538
Do any of the Smabat drivers have deent bass?

The ST10S Black Gold 150 ohm driver has big sub-bass. But for earbuds, drivers are just one variable, the housing and fit influence bass perception a lot. Smabat earbuds have some acoustic labyrinth structure that amplifies the bass apparently.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back