Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 22, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #59,432 of 75,149
Well I don't want to use earhooks.. I wonder why he went with that design. Are there any alternatives with the traditional shape?
Not that i know with this sound signature and these technical aspects. It's better if wore over thé ears, it is even quite good. They will fit, they may just not be very stable. I think they worth a try even with this little fit problem.

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #59,433 of 75,149
Well I don't want to use earhooks.. I wonder why he went with that design. Are there any alternatives with the traditional shape?

Fwiw, I have no problem using them without earhooks. For me, they stay put in my ears as well as any (using donut foams).

Dec 22, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #59,434 of 75,149
I dont use them over-ear.

Dec 22, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #59,435 of 75,149
I don't have major fit issues, but I found silicone rings are enough to help the earbuds stay in your ear without going over-ear/using earhooks. I use these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001146948880.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.56f84c4d82UjXV

I got the LBBS at the same time as the Chaconne, so here's my impressions after some time with them.

First the Chaconne. Really impressed by them, they definitely don't lose out to any other headphones in the price range. Bass section is definitely lacking, but treble is amazing. They sound very open and airy, with detail retrieval and imaging being very impressive. I tried Hiegi foams though and while they are super comfy, they seem to be too thick and I feel like they take away from some sparkle up top, so I ended up using the thinner foams from the VE Ex pack instead, which is slightly less comfortable (they kinda tickle my ears), but are thin enough to let the treble still shine while still adding some body that is missing without any foams on. The foams do tend to slip off somewhat easily due to the shape of the Chaconne, so I ended up putting silicone rings over the foam to keep the foams from slipping off and also make them a bit more comfortable. Fit is improved as well as noted above.

The LBBS is also good. Immediately vs the Chaconne, I can tell there is a lot more bass presence. It is a lot punchier, but not muddier or darker. In fact, they seem to be quite bright, to the point that certain instruments teeter on the edge of being too peaky at higher volume. This could be due to the foams I'm using with them though. I also notice right away the drop in detail retrieval and separation of instruments on busier tracks are not quite as good. They're great for the price, but I wouldn't put them on the same tier as Chaconne at all honestly. Foams wise, I tried the stock full foams but felt they muddied up the sound too much, so I ended up settling for the stock donut foam. I may have to try the thin VE foams on these as well as they might need some peak taming. Foams stay on a lot better on the bell shape, but I still put silicone ring over them for better fit as they are smaller

LBBS vs Chaconne.jpeg

Dec 22, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #59,436 of 75,149
I don't have major fit issues, but I found silicone rings are enough to help the earbuds stay in your ear without going over-ear/using earhooks. I use these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001146948880.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.56f84c4d82UjXV

I got the LBBS at the same time as the Chaconne, so here's my impressions after some time with them.

First the Chaconne. Really impressed by them, they definitely don't lose out to any other headphones in the price range. Bass section is definitely lacking, but treble is amazing. They sound very open and airy, with detail retrieval and imaging being very impressive. I tried Hiegi foams though and while they are super comfy, they seem to be too thick and I feel like they take away from some sparkle up top, so I ended up using the thinner foams from the VE Ex pack instead, which is slightly less comfortable (they kinda tickle my ears), but are thin enough to let the treble still shine while still adding some body that is missing without any foams on. The foams do tend to slip off somewhat easily due to the shape of the Chaconne, so I ended up putting silicone rings over the foam to keep the foams from slipping off and also make them a bit more comfortable. Fit is improved as well as noted above.

The LBBS is also good. Immediately vs the Chaconne, I can tell there is a lot more bass presence. It is a lot punchier, but not muddier or darker. In fact, they seem to be quite bright, to the point that certain instruments teeter on the edge of being too peaky at higher volume. This could be due to the foams I'm using with them though. I also notice right away the drop in detail retrieval and separation of instruments on busier tracks are not quite as good. They're great for the price, but I wouldn't put them on the same tier as Chaconne at all honestly. Foams wise, I tried the stock full foams but felt they muddied up the sound too much, so I ended up settling for the stock donut foam. I may have to try the thin VE foams on these as well as they might need some peak taming. Foams stay on a lot better on the bell shape, but I still put silicone ring over them for better fit as they are smaller

LBBS vs Chaconne.jpeg
Thanks for doing this! Does Chaconne sound significantly different to Zen 2.0?

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #59,437 of 75,149

LBBS vs Chaconne.jpeg
That’s a very similar sonic experience to mine with them :)

Dec 22, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #59,438 of 75,149
Thanks for doing this! Does Chaconne sound significantly different to Zen 2.0?
yes, the Zen 2.0 is pretty tame in the treble, they're more mid-focused, a lot warmer and closer. The Chaconne has more of an airy presentation. I'd easily pick the Chaconne over the Zen (or any other earbuds I've heard honestly). Compared to open back headphones, the Zen 2.0 sound is closer to HD600 whereas the Chaconne is like an ATH-AD2000.
That’s a very similar sonic experience to mine with them :)
glad to know I'm not alone in my thoughts, cheers! :)

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #59,439 of 75,149
yes, the Zen 2.0 is pretty tame in the treble, they're more mid-focused, a lot warmer and closer. The Chaconne has more of an airy presentation. I'd easily pick the Chaconne over the Zen (or any other earbuds I've heard honestly). Compared to open back headphones, the Zen 2.0 sound is closer to HD600 whereas the Chaconne is like an ATH-AD2000.

glad to know I'm not alone in my thoughts, cheers! :)
Thanks, been looking for a side grades companion to Chaconne. Thinking Sun Dice or, Zen 2.0 would be okay

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #59,440 of 75,149
Thanks, been looking for a side grades companion to Chaconne. Thinking Sun Dice or, Zen 2.0 would be okay
Just a friendly 'heads up!'.

Although the VE Dice, VE Zen 2, or even the Shozy BK may share some rather strong similarities with the Moondrop Chaconne these earbuds are much, much warmer/darker sounding than one might realize... so they are not exactly a true or best side-grade to the Chaconne. Also, please kindly note that both those VE earbuds are higher impedance and do require power to sound their best.

The Moondrop Chaconne do indeed have a very strong and rather dominating secondary sound characteristic that is warmish-darkish... just not to the extent of the VE Zen 2/Sun Dice or Shozy BK. And although the Chaconne do have excellent sub-bass, reaching down low with awesome detail retrieval, it is done in a very subtle, gentle way that is not conducive to bass-heavy or bass-detailed genres like EDM, Dance, Hip-Hop, Rap, etc... they are truly a disappoint with this type of music unfortunately.

It must be stressed that Moondrop Chaconne's primary signature is "AIRY" with a surprising silky smooth well-extended (elevated) upper mid-range and treble... on a God-Tier level and thus absolutely perfect for acoustic/vocal based recordings. This is also why many of us consider the Chaconne to be a specialty earbud (a one or two trick pony) only and not a recommended 'all-rounder'. So for a true side-grade of the Chaconne one would be strongly encouraged to look for "warm-like" buds with similar strong "airy" characteristics.

Some "warm-like" earbuds that have some "airy" qualities that you should consider are as follows:
  • Ksearphone 蓝精铃 Bell-Blue (aka "The Smurfs" / "Blue Bell" / "Bell Smurf")
  • Ksearphone 小黑铃 Bell-LBBs
  • Ksearphone 钛铃阴阳师2021版 Bell-Ti Onmyoji v2021 (WARNING: The Bell-Ti series has had some serious QC issues)
  • Simphonio SW-Dragon 3 Plus (aka "SWD3+"; probably the most warm sounding in this list; 120Ω so this needs power to shine... they do have some naughty fatiguing treble spikes)

As mentioned before in my previous post here are some other similar sounding "airy-like" earbuds to consider:
  • FiiO EM5
  • NiceHCK EBX21
  • Blur Hybrid MX64 aPs
  • Blur 266R MX64 Reference aPs
  • DQSM Turandot
  • DQSM PD21
  • Rose Technics Maria II (airy but also bright leaning)

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #59,441 of 75,149
Just a friendly 'heads up!'.

Although the VE Dice, VE Zen 2, or even the Shozy BK may share some rather strong similarities with the Moondrop Chaconne these earbuds are much, much warmer/darker sounding than one might realize... so they are not exactly a true or best side-grade to the Chaconne. Also, please kindly note that both those VE earbuds are higher impedance and do require power to sound their best.

The Moondrop Chaconne do indeed have a very strong and rather dominating secondary sound characteristic that is warmish-darkish... just not to the extent of the VE Zen 2/Sun Dice or Shozy BK. And although the Chaconne do have excellent sub-bass, reaching down low with awesome detail retrieval, it is done in a very subtle, gentle way that is not conducive to bass-heavy or bass-detailed genres like EDM, Dance, Hip-Hop, Rap, etc... they are truly a disappoint with this type of music unfortunately.

It must be stressed that Moondrop Chaconne's primary signature is "AIRY" with a surprising silky smooth well-extended (elevated) upper mid-range and treble... on a God-Tier level and thus absolutely perfect for acoustic/vocal based recordings. This is also why many of us consider the Chaconne to be a specialty earbud (a one or two trick pony) only and not a recommended 'all-rounder'. So for a true side-grade of the Chaconne one would be strongly encouraged to look for "warm-like" buds with similar strong "airy" characteristics.

Some "warm-like" earbuds that have some "airy" qualities that you should consider are as follows:
  • Ksearphone 蓝精铃 Bell-Blue (aka "The Smurfs" / "Blue Bell" / "Bell Smurf")
  • Ksearphone 小黑铃 Bell-LBBs
  • Ksearphone 钛铃阴阳师2021版 Bell-Ti Onmyoji v2021 (WARNING: The Bell-Ti series has had some serious QC issues)
  • Simphonio SW-Dragon 3 Plus (aka "SWD3+"; probably the most warm sounding in this list; 120Ωso this needs power to shine)

As mentioned before in my previous post here are some other similar sounding "airy-like" earbuds to consider:
  • FiiO EM5
  • NiceHCK EBX21
  • Blur Hybrid MX64 aPs
  • Blur 266R MX64 Reference aPs
  • DQSM Turandot
  • DQSM PD21
  • Rose Technics Maria II (airy but also bright leaning)
Thanks friend for you suggestion. I currently have LBBs, and love it so much! Simphonio SW Dragon 3 plus piqued my interest, but it is way about my affordability. I remember Wong said that Blur 266R MX64 Reference aPs has big bass, so should be a good side grade for Chaconne.

Thanks again @WoodyLuvr

Dec 23, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #59,442 of 75,149
Oh, right guess I should mention I have added these rankings:

K´s K300: C-

QianYun Qian39: S

Dec 23, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #59,444 of 75,149

Users who are viewing this thread

Back