Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 26, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #57,916 of 75,150
Out of the whole Sony MDR-E series, are there any more that are worth a punt without being prohibitively expensive?

The ED21s were something I was delighted to try again but I didn't agree with the fit anymore so moved them on. I loved the vintage sound of the E434s but the drivers packed in overnight after I bothered to get a recable job done. The E828s are fantastic and still kicking. Anything else worth a try?

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #57,917 of 75,150
K's Bell-Blue
20210926_120821~2.jpg

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:30 AM Post #57,918 of 75,150
Sep 27, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #57,919 of 75,150
Are these 15.4mm? How are they sound-wise and the fitting?
I'm actually not sure the shell size but I think it's 16.2mm going from specs of the Lbbs (the shells look the same to me but are made with different materials). From reading the specs, it has a 15mm driver. To me, these are warm sounding earbuds and the fit is pretty much perfect. The bell type shell might be my favorite now because of how small it is. It sort of "hooks" into your ear.

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #57,921 of 75,150
For those who like "Bell" shaped earbuds (without stems) - do you have any issues holding them, while fitting foams onto them?

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #57,922 of 75,150
For those who like "Bell" shaped earbuds (without stems) - do you have any issues holding them, while fitting foams onto them?
Initially yes, they can be slippery lil' boogers when fitting cushions but after a few times (struggles... battles) the fingers become quite more nimble with the tasking. Their smaller diameter, more than even PK-type, actually aids in fitting a cushion as less stretching is required. With that said, my Turandots hands down are (were) the hardest to fit foams onto.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #57,923 of 75,150
I'm not totally new to earbuds. Been acquired Monk+, TyHz 32ohm and Auglamour RX-1 many years ago all without success and thus dropped the idea about using earbuds.

While bored of waiting for some stuffs coming from last AliExpress sale... I dug myself another rabbit hole :sweat_smile: by getting Yincrow X6 (Red-Gold).
Suffice to say I'm surprised at how good it is... :thumbsup:

I've burnt it for about 30 hours or so... And now, listening to Harry Connick Jr. "When Harry Met Sally" OST album while typing this message gives me few times goose bumps...

Sep 27, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #57,924 of 75,150
Ok, those are a very different beast, very engaging, the bass is quite close to a in-ear.
Trebles sound little detached with Sabre Quad Dac in my LG, instead with Akm-Kann I really like the whole result. Are very picky about the recording, bad sound IN means 100% bad sound OUT.
The flute system is asymetric: rotating the buds a little the sound change a little, rotating 90 degrees (cable behind ears), sound change noticeably (bad to me).

EM5 are close to an headphones experience, remember me a lot my Grados. May like the signature or not, however are impressive little buds.
Jazz, Blues, rock, very good with those. Headstage is narrow, not for classic music such as symphonic or even big groups, Smabat ST10s Gold are way better with that.
Price makes no sense looking the construction, 'OK' the quality of the plastic, cable is very nice, not to justify 320$.

20210927_171514_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #57,925 of 75,150
I think the X6 is a good gateway into earbuds. It’s what got me over the hump (meaning it was a catalyst). I’d urge you to enjoy it a bit and keep it as a beater until it’s no longer functioning.

not too push you into something else, but…..

The next leap forward to me would be a SMABAT in my opinion. People are really enjoying the LBBs and I totally understand that. It has zero actual flaws. It’s comfy, comfy, comfy, easy to drive and it sounds really good no matter genre or safe listening level you are listening at. Definitely more detailed than the X6. It’s ALSO more neutral than the X6 out of the box, but that difference is minor IMO. Both have great tonality.

The reason I would say a SMABAT next vs. the LBBs is it allows you to explore a bit deeper in whatever direction you want to go. The cost is essentially the same as the LBBs. The M2s pro shell costs a bit more vs the M0 and offers deeper bass and a bigger soundstage. The M0 is smaller and sits a bit better in my ears. The 150 Ohm driver is an electronic music champ that still does justice to vocals and other genres, while the Super One driver is my favorite SMABAT for acoustic and classical genres but I never got it dialed in with the M0 shell. Both of those drivers and both of those Shells have more potential than the LBBs, but with the M0 I’d only do the 150 Ohm driver and it still sounds better in the M2s Pro.
I'm not totally new to earbuds. Been acquired Monk+, TyHz 32ohm and Auglamour RX-1 many years ago all without success and thus dropped the idea about using earbuds.

While bored of waiting for some stuffs coming from last AliExpress sale... I dug myself another rabbit hole :sweat_smile: by getting Yincrow X6 (Red-Gold).
Suffice to say I'm surprised at how good it is... :thumbsup:

I've burnt it for about 30 hours or so... And now, listening to Harry Connick Jr. "When Harry Met Sally" OST album while typing this message gives me few times goose bumps...

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #57,926 of 75,150
Sep 27, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #57,927 of 75,150
Sep 27, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #57,928 of 75,150
I think the X6 is a good gateway into earbuds. It’s what got me over the hump (meaning it was a catalyst). I’d urge you to enjoy it a bit and keep it as a beater until it’s no longer functioning.

not too push you into something else, but…..

The next leap forward to me would be a SMABAT in my opinion. People are really enjoying the LBBs and I totally understand that. It has zero actual flaws. It’s comfy, comfy, comfy, easy to drive and it sounds really good no matter genre or safe listening level you are listening at. Definitely more detailed than the X6. It’s ALSO more neutral than the X6 out of the box, but that difference is minor IMO. Both have great tonality.

The reason I would say a SMABAT next vs. the LBBs is it allows you to explore a bit deeper in whatever direction you want to go. The cost is essentially the same as the LBBs. The M2s pro shell costs a bit more vs the M0 and offers deeper bass and a bigger soundstage. The M0 is smaller and sits a bit better in my ears. The 150 Ohm driver is an electronic music champ that still does justice to vocals and other genres, while the Super One driver is my favorite SMABAT for acoustic and classical genres but I never got it dialed in with the M0 shell. Both of those drivers and both of those Shells have more potential than the LBBs, but with the M0 I’d only do the 150 Ohm driver and it still sounds better in the M2s Pro.
Thanks for your warm welcome Earbuds Team and especially Ronion. Thanks a lot for your inputs.

I will definitely take more time with X6. I'm a slow adopter, easily pleased with what I have, and really careful with my spending.

Though originally a bit shouty on few female vocal (Cindy Lauper is one of sample), after the 30 hours of burning it is calming down to the point that it is not annoying anymore.

X6 has a great timbre/tonality that I value most. This alone is enough for me to keep it on my permanent stash; which mean regardless of the price, I tend to baby it carefully since I value it high.

Continuing slowly, exploring more X6 capabilities and characters...

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #57,929 of 75,150
It’s a great bud for sure. Best bang for the buck I’ve heard. Enjoy!

You can always tweak it a bit with different foams. More dense foams add bass and tame treble: less dense does the opposite of course. You’re never stuck with stock sound with buds. Very easy to mod.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #57,930 of 75,150
My EM5 arrived today and I'm very impressed out of the box. Yeah the buds could feel more expensive but interesting to read the background on the choice of 3D printing of resin to support the target signature. Metal would be nice but the flipside is the weight, these are incredibly light, barely feel them in my ears.

I can absolutely understand how this could become a new rabbit hole. The bass is of course lacking versus my IEMs but actually more than I expected. Nice detail, very organic and coherent with what feels a realistic stage.

Anyway, only brief initial impressions, looking forward to more time with them in the coming days.

20210928_131657.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back