Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 10, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #57,781 of 75,149
hmm.. when i wear them down, i need to wear them sort of diagonally so there’s a similar bend going into the stem too. but its less stable and yanks around a bit more which might be even worse. i wish i didnt have to baby these things.. theyre $700 and made of titanium x____x
In that case, it won't matter which way you wear them strain wise. Carry on.

Sep 11, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #57,783 of 75,149
How come I didn’t get any ear hooks with my LBBs? I was robbed….

anyway, I spent the past 5 hours trying to tune my SMABAT(s) to sound like my Blur. I’ve got the Super One driver fairly close tonally —though brighter and less resolved. Still the response is smooth and extended and sounds better than it ever has. I went through every tuning screen comparing it back and forth with the Blur. The “magic formula” ends up the type 1 filter with the thick, low density Venture Electronics full foams. This doesn’t make it a Blur equivalent, but I am fairly proud of how nice this turned out. The other option that makes it slightly darker than the Blurs is just to use Blur foams. This may well be my preferred route but I’m not sure what brand of foams he’s using so it would be hard to obtain for people who don’t have BlurBuds.

I went through more permutations with the M0 shell with the 150Ohm golden driver, but I’m not there yet. I almost had it with the type 1 filter and the Blur foam, but there’s still a resonance around 3kHz. I can reduce that resonance with other foams, but then it becomes too V-shaped for what I’m shooting for.

Both drivers are more easily tuned to sound their best in the M2s pro shell. Actually all three that I’ve tried, but I never tried to tune the 40 ohm. It just worked well right out of the box with the foams from the box. The 150 Ohm is the same in that regard but the Super One works best with other foams (Provided that if you buy the shell and not the whole M2s Pro it still comes with the type 1 filter installed).

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #57,784 of 75,149
Hello there,

I just found out that my pt2021 365 Ohm version actually measures 500 Ohm (per driver).

Anyone else with this "mismatch"?

I'm afraid the 365 Ohm drivers have experienced a shortage and they have been replaced by after market (budget) drivers.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #57,785 of 75,149
Hello there,

I just found out that my pt2021 365 Ohm version actually measures 500 Ohm (per driver).

Anyone else with this "mismatch"?

I'm afraid the 365 Ohm drivers have experienced a shortage and they have been replaced by after market (budget) drivers.

1631368368841.png

I too have never had favorable results using a digital multimeter when testing higher impedance drivers over 150Ω. My 600Ω PureSounds were all over when testing with a DMM and even-more-so when using different DMMs, go figure! I would say that your PT2021 365Ω driver impedance is probably much closer to being 365Ω than to it's listed sensitivity rating of 110 dB/mW! I highly doubt the PT2021 365Ω are 110 as they were/are very hard to drive... I had simply figured that their sensitivity was much, much lower than listed... perhaps as low as the mid-to-low 90s.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #57,786 of 75,149
1631368368841.png

I too have never had favorable results using a digital multimeter when testing higher impedance drivers over 150Ω. My 600Ω PureSounds were all over when testing with a DMM and even-more-so when using different DMMs, go figure! I would say that your PT2021 365Ω driver impedance is probably much closer to being 365Ω than to it's listed sensitivity rating of 110 dB/mW! I highly doubt the PT2021 365Ω are 110 as they were/are very hard to drive... I had simply figured that their sensitivity was much, much lower than listed... perhaps as low as the mid-to-low 90s.

The quote is saying - "The DC resistance will nearly always be lower than the AC impedance." - but that seems to be different than your experience.

Sep 11, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #57,787 of 75,149
The quote is saying - "The DC resistance will nearly always be lower than the AC impedance." - but that seems to be different than your experience.
If the headphones are "more reactive". Less reactive may garner different results perhaps, though I am uncertain if I completely agree with the quote that I shared myself in all cases but I offered it as a possible explanation (as food for thought). What do you think? I am genuinely interested in this subject and think it quite relevant in helping us understand the wonky impedance nature of some earbuds as I don't believe it is always actual driver variance per say (as in literally different driver models being installed).

My experience has been all over, nothing consistent, when it comes to testing higher impedance drivers with a DMM. Lower impedance, yes they consistently test lower on a DMM by ~5 ohms which falls in line with the quote. I just wonder if at some point certain headphones/earphones of certain impedance value simply demand a more correct instrument (tool) to acquire an accurate and consistent measurement which was the secondary point I was offering. If I recall correctly you tested your Smabat ST-10s at 300Ω correct? Mine were close to 150Ω (I think they were in the 180s or 190s) but I also was starting to suspect their sensitivity rating was wrong. Though it was suspected that various drivers may have been used on the ST-10s production run so there is that... but what if it is simply due to fact that certain higher impedance drivers are harder to test than others?

I guess the main point concerning the PT2021 is that it may just be one of these wonky earbuds that are difficult to test and although it's impedance may or may not be higher than 365Ω (it may in fact be 500Ω) it's listed (spec'd.) sensitivity rating of 110 dB/mW seems to me to be a highly suspect value more than impedance... unfortunately, that sensitivity value is much harder to test and ascertain even with the most sophisticated equipment :slight_frown:.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #57,788 of 75,149
If the headphones are "more reactive". Less reactive may garner different results perhaps, though I am uncertain if I completely agree with the quote that I shared myself but I offered it as a possible explanation (as food for thought). What do you think? I am genuinely interested in this subject and think it quite relevant in helping us understand the wonky nature of some earbud drivers.

My experience has been all over, nothing consistent, when it comes to testing higher impedance drivers with a DMM. At some point certain headphones/earphones of certain impedance value require a more correct instrument (tool) to acquire an accurate and consistent measurement which was the secondary point I was offering. What has been your experience? Have you any strange earbud driver readings to share?

I guess the main point concerning the PT2021 is that it may just be one of these wonky headphones that are difficult to test and although it's impedance may or may not be higher than 365Ω (it may in fact be 500Ω) it's listed (spec'd.) sensitivity rating of 110 dB/mW seems to me to be a highly suspect value more than impedance... unfortunately, that sensitivity value is much harder to test and ascertain even with the most sophisticated equipment :slight_frown:.

As an Electronics Technician, and without having done any actual AC impedance testing of loudspeaker (or earbud) drivers, I would generally expect dynamic drivers to act like the quote from your post - with the DC resistance nearly always being lower than the AC impedance. Mainly because a voice coil in a dynamic driver is an inductor, and its impedance goes higher as the signal frequency goes up from 0-Hz (DC).

Pretty much all of my earbuds, except the Smabat ST-10s (Gold/Black), have measured their advertised DC resistance values with an Ohmmeter.
I haven't got any test equipment to measure the AC impedance.
My collection has models with resistances ranging from 16-Ω to 650-Ω.
When I bought the Smabat ST-10s (Gold/Black), the different websites had different resistances listed - I saw both 120-Ω & 150-Ω, but mine actually measure 300-Ω (with two different Ohmmeters). That's measuring directly to the MMCX center pin, without using an earbud cable.

Sep 12, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #57,790 of 75,149
@WoodyLuvr @DBaldock9

I always assumed that the advertised impedance of the drivers are actually DC resistances. That would be weird to use AC (or even total) impedance since it may be a non-constant (and non-linear) measure, as already pointed out by you.

This is the first time that I found such a huge mismatch between advertised and actual resistances.

From what I already know, @FranQL also measure a DC resistance of 500 Ohm for his "365 Ohm". If I'm not wrong, @vygas has pointed out that it is possible that the total DC resistance for the pt2021 is due to a series resistor on its PCB.

I asked the seller and will report back when I get the answer (if any).

Sep 12, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #57,791 of 75,149
Sep 12, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #57,793 of 75,149
My two cents on the JCALLY earbuds I've heard:

EP01 is just awful. Sounds like there's only bass & treble, and the mids are just missing. Very hollow sounding.
EP02 is slightly better than EP01, but still not worth buying even if it's cheap.
JC10 is decent for the price, but not a particular standout. Typical warm and non-fatiguing sound.
EP05 arrived with faulty drivers, so I never got to hear them properly.

EP09 is the one I've enjoyed the most, and the only JCALLY earbud I've kept.
It's like a more technical and refined sounding JC10. Much more character IMO, and the shell wears the largest and heaviest of all.

The only other JCALLY earbud I've not tried is EP08, which apparently is only an international market release, and not available in China.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3588#post-16339668iled
Yes, you much nailed it, EP05/JC10 use Bio-cel-fibre composite diag. like the FOSTEX TH series.

Sep 12, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #57,795 of 75,149
My two cents on the JCALLY earbuds I've heard:

EP01 is just awful. Sounds like there's only bass & treble, and the mids are just missing. Very hollow sounding.
EP02 is slightly better than EP01, but still not worth buying even if it's cheap.
JC10 is decent for the price, but not a particular standout. Typical warm and non-fatiguing sound.
EP05 arrived with faulty drivers, so I never got to hear them properly.

EP09 is the one I've enjoyed the most, and the only JCALLY earbud I've kept.
It's like a more technical and refined sounding JC10. Much more character IMO, and the shell wears the largest and heaviest of all.

The only other JCALLY earbud I've not tried is EP08, which apparently is only an international market release, and not available in China.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3588#post-16339668
Thanks for the input. I have avoided JCALLY products since a year ago when a cable arrived to me with faulty right connection. Opened it up and apparently the solder came lose. I guess QC issues plagued the company much like other chifi stores.

I will consider buying EP09 since they are still on the budget segment. But for now, I have my eyes on the Kube and S300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back