Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 19, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #55,216 of 75,469
Having been 2 weeks of using K's LBBS, I'm totally satisfied. At last, I think I found my end-game for low-fi earbud (got them with 32$ through Shopee).
Sound impression (with 1 layer of thick full-foam): nicely detailed and balanced sound, bass is enough, treble is extended, mid is not forward or backward, sound-stage is so so.
-Compared to EA: LBBS is less in bass, sub-bass quantity but more detail and bigger 3D sound-stage, EA is kind of dark sound with a little bit muddy mid (only OK when using with 3-4 small holes full foam), off-treble and small sound-stage => overall, LBBS is much more enjoyable.
-Compared to RW-9: RW-9 shows wider sound-stage with bigger bass and real sub-bass, make better initial wow effect but LBBS win in detail, treble extension, precise instruments position and not-backward mid => overall LBBS is more balanced and more all-rounded. However, RW-9 is greater for asking price.
-Compared to my DIY PK1 Red-film 150ohm (with 7n copper cable, Oyaide plug): PK1 red-film has smoother performance, better in instruments sound and position, wider sound-stage but insufficient in bass quantity (however, very well response to EQ) and treble extension. Overall, PK1 Red-film is more relaxed, LBBS is more lively performance.
K's LBBS is definitely worth for an all-rounded earbud recommendation.
Thank you so much for describing in detail what I also felt without being able to put it into proper words about the LBBS ("my end-game for low-fi earbud" etc.) and for comparing them to various earbuds!

One thing I would like to say is that to increase the sub bass and bass of the LBBS you should try Double foams (Donut foam on full foam).

Attachments

• LBBS DBL_FOAM.jpg
    LBBS DBL_FOAM.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #55,219 of 75,469
Thank you so much for describing in detail what I also felt without being able to put it into proper words about the LBBS ("my end-game for low-fi earbud" etc.) and for comparing them to various earbuds!

One thing I would like to say is that to increase the sub bass and bass of the LBBS you should try Double foams (Donut foam on full foam).

I think the thick full-foam works for me than double donut-full foam. Double donut-full foam I will only use for bright sounding and bass-lacking earbud.
Last night I tried this "cold weather" foam mode by @jogawag :wink: , on the HiFi Boy Dream to see if I could soften the bright female vocals, but unfortunately nothing. This mode mainly affects the fit. It seems to me like they didn't use the tuning cotton on the back of the driver, I'll have to check what's going on "under the hood"

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #55,220 of 75,469
Just curious, what is your "WOW" buds? The one that made you say, "d*mn, these sound awesome!"

Looking to purchase another one as my MS16 is dying on me (I think it can be fixed with a recable which I can do, but if that's the case, then I won't have a reason to purchase a new earbud 😝)

Budget is sub-100 USD. Any sound signature will do.
I have been using earbuds since they first appeared back 1981/82 but never seriously considered them to be a high fidelity medium until very recently. So true flat head enlightenment occurred rather late for me. Back in 2018 at a mobile audiophile meet-up in Bangkok I had the opportunity to listen to a number of different high quality earbuds and was thunderstruck by the medium's surprisingly advanced hi-fidelity sound.

The earbuds that particularly surprised me were a few high impedance models in the PureSounds 醇声 PS100 Series and a number of 300Ω models from Blur's First Series which if I recall correctly were the 魔音 Magic Sound, 魔声/聲 Magic Voice, and either a first or second generation of the 魔女 Witch. I ended up buying a new first edition Blur 美魔女 Beautiful Witch as the particular PureSounds model that I wanted was no longer available. Soon after I bought a second-hand pair of 魔音 Magic Sound and then by shear luck was offered a pair of PureSounds PS100-600S in 600Ω the exact model that I had wanted in a trade with a Head-Fi member!

Recently, I have received a third, fourth, and fifth pair of Blurs which continue to impress and surprise me every time. I would be remiss to not mention another "wow!" earbud the Ks BELL-Ti 120Ω which I received in February but sadly they conked out on me after only three months of careful use... but they have since been repaired and I currently await their return any day now (a full update on the failure and repair is forthcoming, I promise :wink:).

So a quick recap of my "wow!" earbuds in list form would be: PureSounds, Blur, and Ksearphones

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #55,221 of 75,469
Last night I tried this "cold weather" foam mode by @jogawag :wink: , on the HiFi Boy Dream to see if I could soften the bright female vocals, but unfortunately nothing. This mode mainly affects the fit. It seems to me like they didn't use the tuning cotton on the back of the driver, I'll have to check what's going on "under the hood"
To increase the sub bass and bass only, but keep the treble and mid, you can use double foam (donut foam on top of full foam), which @furyossa called "cold weather" foam mode. :grimacing:

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #55,222 of 75,469
double foam (donut foam on top of full foam), which @furyossa called "cold weather"
How clever; I like that phrase. I have duly added it to our All About Earbud Cushions post here

1624090917678.png

1624090900983.png

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #55,223 of 75,469
To increase the sub bass and bass only, but keep the treble and mid, you can use double foam (donut foam on top of full foam), which @furyossa called "cold weather" foam mode. :grimacing:
Foam don't do that, but better fit which your mod provide :wink:. In my case, because driver size is already big, by adding double foam I increased the overall diameter and get even worst fit which affect treble in the bad way. I don't said that your mod is bad, but it's not for every bud:beerchug:

Jun 19, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #55,224 of 75,469
But if you like soundtage in all 3 axis then Tingo TG-38s is the winner here :wink:

As it is strange to read such an explicit recommendation from @furyossa , I have bought a pair.

the recommendation of the blur of @WoodyLuvr unfortunately for now they are out of my budget.

Edit: Vido: I don't think I will buy them, although the price of the link that @golov17 published is ridiculous price, but I do not want to accumulate buds focused on low mediums.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #55,225 of 75,469
Foam don't do that, but better fit which your mod provide :wink:. In my case, because driver size is already big, by adding double foam I increased the overall diameter and get even worst fit which affect treble in the bad way. I don't said that your mod is bad, but it's not for every bud:beerchug:
I suspect that the Full foam you are using with Double foam is too thick... :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #55,226 of 75,469
How clever; I like that phrase. I have duly added it to our All About Earbud Cushions post here

1624090917678.png
1624090900983.png
The full foam is like a hat and the donut foam is like a scarf, just everything you need for cold weather :wink:

Jun 19, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #55,227 of 75,469
I suspect that the Full foam you are using with Double foam is too thick...
They are not too thick but HiFi Boy Dream buds, similar to the HE150pro, has metal mesh cover which is slightly larger then standard MX500 cover (for 15.4mm drivers)
Fortunately they can be worn over the ears:L3000:

Jun 19, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #55,228 of 75,469
They are not too thick but HiFi Boy Dream buds, similar to the HE150pro, has metal mesh cover which is slightly larger then standard MX500 cover (for 15.4mm drivers)
Fortunately they can be worn over the ears:L3000:
But, for the full foam used in the Double Foam, the bass will be felt more clearly if you use standard foam.
In addition, you will feel it more if you use thin/coarse foam like the one in the VE Pack.:sweat:

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #55,229 of 75,469
Btw, are there other brands that uses the same/similar shell like the VE monk lite?

1624121952397.png

That shell is very comfortable...but the same cant be said about the sound (on the lite at least).

Jun 19, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #55,230 of 75,469

Nice!

Maybe you should add the modded offset donut to the list.

Here's a fresh pic of them on my DIY PK1 150Ω red film buds.
IMG_20210619_101045.jpg

It actually measured between full and regular donut foams.
Foam testing.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back