Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 20, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #53,536 of 75,463
I have the Xiaomi Pistons by 1more for many years now, and no beryllium side effects yet. Though, I'm a little crazier now, but that's because of old age, I guess.

Xiaomi Pistons from 1more.jpgWay too old.jpg

Apr 20, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #53,537 of 75,463
Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #53,538 of 75,463
I personally think, it's really hard for any earbud to beat the ambient and luscious sound of the RW-9. I own both the X6 and the RW-9 and the RW-9 is a step closer to a live orchestra, IMHO!...Though, I say both are technically insane for such a low price.

-Clear
Yes, RW-9 is hard to beat. I can see why some prefer the X6, but I think the RW-9 is the better all rounder and very slightly more refined, but its more of a personal thing than any real difference. The RW-1000 bass is a step up for sure. Better resolution, dynamics and soundstage. I am an official Yincrow fanboi :ksc75smile:

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #53,539 of 75,463
I could see myself being an around-the-clock budder if I could find buds that sound close enough to my fav big headphones (so like a warm, loving, all-enveloping hug with a nice bass punch)
This response is not so much directed @arar but rather to those newcomers coming here to learn about "earbuds".

If I may, I would like to offer a piece of friendly advice in regards to this subject. It can prove very difficult to fully appreciate and truly embrace "earbuds" if one strives to find and replace a full sized headphone with an earbud. One will only be disappointed in the end as I honestly believe it can not be had (begotten) as headphone signatures are rather unique, whether they be "closed back" or "open back", and earbuds due to their nature, design, and small size simply can not replicate them. That said, earbuds can and do offer something very special in their own right (see here) that can't be had with headphones or IEMs... there are indeed "pros" and "cons" to them all.

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #53,540 of 75,463
Thanks for all your great input.
Here’s another question to you experts, as I’m very excited about earbuds now:
Can the “BEST” earbud rival the best iems ?
In terms of pure technicalities and sound.

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #53,541 of 75,463
This question is too broad to really answer.

iems and earbuds are too different and I really dont get why you would compare them that way. They are good for different reasons and depending on library, either one can be the more suited transducer type for you.

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #53,542 of 75,463
Earbuds are like being in a live music venue. IEM's are like being at the mixing desk in a music production studio.

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #53,543 of 75,463
This response is not so much directed @arar but rather to those newcomers coming here to learn about "earbuds".

If I may, I would like to offer a piece of friendly advice in regards to this subject. It can prove very difficult to fully appreciate and truly embrace "earbuds" if one strives to find and replace a full sized headphone with an earbud. One will only be disappointed in the end as I honestly believe it can not be had (begotten) as headphone signatures are rather unique, whether they be "closed back" or "open back", and earbuds due to their nature, design, and small size simply can not replicate them. That said, earbuds can and do offer something very special in their own right (see here) that can't be had with headphones or IEMs... there are indeed "pros" and "cons" to them all.

Yeah, absolutely. I was trying out IEMs a year or two back in hopes that I could find some that sounded like my HD58Xs, something full and lush and warm I could use at the GFs apartment or for watching movies on the iPad or whatever, but it quickly became apparent that IEMs just don't do that sort of stuff. Not to mention that I just couldn't get used to them, my ears started hurting pretty quickly no matter what tips I used (mostly spent my time with the Blon BL-03s and Fiio FH3s).

That said, I got much closer to what I'm looking for with "just" the X6 and NiceHCK MX500 already, so while I'm obviously not expecting there to be a bud that's like my proper headphones, I'm optimistic one exists that's close enough for me (hence the "close enough" in the post you quoted). I'm using the latter buds to listen to music on my iPhone right now and it's honestly shockingly close to what I want. I feel like maybe it should have a bit more upper mids and treble - some songs sound really just sort of muffled - but other than that, they sound fantastic.

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #53,544 of 75,463
Yes, RW-9 is hard to beat. I can see why some prefer the X6, but I think the RW-9 is the better all rounder and very slightly more refined, but its more of a personal thing than any real difference. The RW-1000 bass is a step up for sure. Better resolution, dynamics and soundstage. I am an official Yincrow fanboi :ksc75smile:
You are very persuasive!...You're like the avatar staring straight at my soul convincing me to buy the Yincrow RW-1000 Bass edition. So, now I'm convinced that if the JCALLY EP09 doesn't pan out to be my TOTL, then I'm definitely going to go for the RW-1000 Bass! now, let's wait and see until I receive the EP09's, first.

PS. My wife is going to strangle me! :shrug:

-Clear

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #53,546 of 75,463
I really dont get why you would compare them that way.
It’s a known fact that open backs headphones will always surpass closed backs ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL. (Except in the bass Departement)
I see iems selling for thousands of dollars and my question is legit.
And the answers above are good.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #53,547 of 75,463
Any opinion on the Zen LL ? It’s not a cheap earbud; but the shell is apparently smaller. I think as small as the Monk Lite.

For this or the "lite" I have been tempted to pull the trigger on many occasions, the time it has been in the market, the build quality, and the cable is what makes me not convinced to pay € 59

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #53,548 of 75,463
It’s a known fact that open backs headphones will always surpass closed backs ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL. (Except in the bass Departement)
I see iems selling for thousands of dollars and my question is legit.
And the answers above are good.
I do not agree with that statement.

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #53,549 of 75,463
I do not agree with that statement.
You are then in the minority. TOTL around the ear headphones are ALL open backs.
Orpheus
Stax
Abyss
Audeze
Sennheiser

In absolutely every case, the nec plus ultra, the ultimate sound is always in open backs, for physical reasons.

You can still prefer closed, as I madly love the Denon (7200/9200) for example, but they reach a limit in soundstage, separation, air etc...due to resonance and the very nature of closed backs.

So the most expansive cans are usually open. Whereas with earbuds it’s the opposite. Iems are far more $$$$

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back