Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 6, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #52,771 of 75,342
I forgot who suggested double foaming, though I finally decided to give it a shot on my Smabat ST10s Gold. It found that the increased seal really helps run these at lower gain, allowing for some more bass as well as more noticeable mids. I'm definitely happier with how sound as now I can get vocals at a loudness where I don't have to worry about the treble spike. The additional warmness is a little less then optimal, but at least it sounds less peaky now.

Also for anyone struggling with donuts, I found it helpful to pre-stretch then pull the entire thing over the bud. Then slowly pull it over the rim of the bud before using my nails to pull out the surrounding rim.

If you find 2 layers of full foams makes the sound too warm, you can try putting a donut foam or a silicone cover as the inner layer, while keeping a full foam as the outer layer.

Mar 7, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #52,772 of 75,342
If you find 2 layers of full foams makes the sound too warm, you can try putting a donut foam or a silicone cover as the inner layer, while keeping a full foam as the outer layer
I do currently have a donut on top of a full. In your experience, does swapping the layering matter?

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #52,773 of 75,342
I do currently have a donut on top of a full. In your experience, does swapping the layering matter?
Nope.

Plus putting a donut foam over a full foam is waaay easier.

If it was a donut silicone cover, it's better/easier to put a foam over it.

Mar 7, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #52,775 of 75,342
Mar 7, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #52,776 of 75,342
That shows again we all ear things differently!

Although I don’t have the RY4S to compare I liked the sound quality of EP05 and I even bought the entire line of JCally products at that time! (I’ve seen that there are two new models since then, didn’t ear them...)

Admitedly I even prefer the sound quality of EP01 (the $2 buds!) or JC10 but I still quite like EP05 sound, even if it’s probably a niche in earbuds sound.

Anyway I hope it wasn’t my influence that led you to buy them, I hate to be of bad advice!... :slight_frown:

Fortunately they sell for only $14 so it’s not that a big deal.
And the MMCX cable they come with is now used on my Smabat M2 Pro without problem, I might have been lucky with their QC! :sweat_smile:

Well, it's strange, as you always said they have bass in quantity, and that's not the case in my unit, so I don't know what to think. Probably I got the lemon in the batch, but probably there are several units with the same problems, as in CKLewis (I got mine in JieTu) one russian buyer says something similar. In the end, it could well being that the assembler is not the best, and that QC is close to non-existent.

Anyway, my next move, while waiting for M3, most probably will be RY4S 300Ohm, that some people say is slightly more refined and bass controlled than the Plus 32Ohm. I have no problem driving that load (Fiio E12 and Nobsound NS-08E), and I only use earbuds at home, so I'll give it a try.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #52,777 of 75,342
Well, it's strange, as you always said they have bass in quantity, and that's not the case in my unit, so I don't know what to think. Probably I got the lemon in the batch, but probably there are several units with the same problems, as in CKLewis (I got mine in JieTu) one russian buyer says something similar. In the end, it could well being that the assembler is not the best, and that QC is close to non-existent.

Anyway, my next move, while waiting for M3, most probably will be RY4S 300Ohm, that some people say is slightly more refined and bass controlled than the Plus 32Ohm. I have no problem driving that load (Fiio E12 and Nobsound NS-08E), and I only use earbuds at home, so I'll give it a try.
You should definitely grab the yincrow x6, it's not totl or anything but it does a lot right for the price. It's a good standard for what earbuds can offer imo.

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #52,778 of 75,342
You should definitely grab the yincrow x6, it's not totl or anything but it does a lot right for the price. It's a good standard for what earbuds can offer imo.

How do you compare it to the RY4S+. Sorry if you did that previously, I admit I'm too lazy in this moment to do a search. I read somewhere that the Vido has the same driver that X6, but I seriously doubt that. I bought the black and the red ones and, although they are good for the ridiculously low price, they're nowhere near of what RY4S+ or NiceHCK DIY MX500 can offer, so I suppose the X6 is at another level. Nothing wrong with the Vidos, they are correctly tuned, and I have not detected harsh peaks, but the driver, logically, has its limitations.

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #52,779 of 75,342
How do you compare it to the RY4S+. Sorry if you did that previously, I admit I'm too lazy in this moment to do a search. I read somewhere that the Vido has the same driver that X6, but I seriously doubt that. I bought the black and the red ones and, although they are good for the ridiculously low price, they're nowhere near of what RY4S+ or NiceHCK DIY MX500 can offer, so I suppose the X6 is at another level. Nothing wrong with the Vidos, they are correctly tuned, and I have not detected harsh peaks, but the driver, logically, has its limitations.
Sure, the RY4S+ (32ohm) might have sightly better resolution in the upper mids, but overall the tuning seems worse to me, strangely the lower mids sound sort of recessed. The RY4S+ comes off very hollow sounding, whereas the X6 has more body to its notes (without sounding "thick") and is much more coherent across the mids. Also seems like there's some treble rolloff on the RY4S+, X6 seemed to have much better extension. Overall the RY4S+ just sounded hollow to me, whereas the X6 was a more coherent warm tuning. Timbre seemed about the same, as did soundstage. I didn't bother trying to EQ the RY4S+ either, that might bring it closer to the X6.

I've never heard the Vidos, but I was actually just chatting with @vygas on discord about it, and yeah he says the X6 and Vidos use the same driver, and he also had this frequency response comparing them. I haven't heard the Vido, so can't comment on that.

So yeah.. it might just be a matter of tuning, since they seemed to have similar resolution/technicalities, which I assume infers the same drivers.. don't quote me on that, though. The X6 is a 15.5mm 32ohm driver FYI, according to the information on the box it came in.

Edit: Yeah I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of tuning, the RY4S+ seems to dip out in the mids somewhere, also it's definitely got more of a 6khz spike than the x6 or rw9, treble can get a little painful at higher volumes vs the x6. The x6 is also significantly bassier. Technically they seem very similar, if you like sharper treble you might prefer the RY4S+. Still, it comes off sounding hollow to me.

Unfortunately I don't have a frequency response of the RY4S+, maybe there's one buried in this thread somewhere.

Attachments

• 11277036.png
    11277036.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
  • yincrow_x6_vs_rw9.jpg
    yincrow_x6_vs_rw9.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210307-181546_Discord.jpg
    Screenshot_20210307-181546_Discord.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210209-165108_Translate.jpg
    Screenshot_20210209-165108_Translate.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #52,780 of 75,342
I've never heard the Vidos, but I was actually just chatting with @vygas on discord about it, and yeah he says the X6 and Vidos use the same driver, and he also had this frequency response comparing them. I haven't heard the Vido, so can't comment on that.
Also, credit to @cenizas for the FR of the X6, Black Vido and NiceHCK Traceless. You can find it and a comparison of the Vidos (and the X6) here : https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/yincrow-x6.22393/reviews#review-23970

Mar 7, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #52,782 of 75,342
The frequency response of the RY4S+ in this thread is here.
Hey thanks, looks like I was right about that 6khz (or 7khz) spike, though on second listen treble extension after that does seem to be about the same on both. And yeah, the RY4S+ seems to peak around 300hz, where the X6 has a steadier tuning across the bass and mids, that'd explain the hollow quality I hear on the RY4S+.

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #52,783 of 75,342
Anyone wanting to try bell shaped earbuds should definitely pick up a pair of K's LBBS.

I did not have high expectations and was totally not expecting them to be so "full sounding" as these shells are so miniscule compared to my favorite MX500 type. Definitely better than the PK earbuds as these have better low ends. These do BOTH comfort and sound.

I will be looking forward to the day I get the or 120ohm titanium or blue bells. I believe these are the right direction for me.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #52,784 of 75,342
Anyone wanting to try bell shaped earbuds should definitely pick up a pair of K's LBBS.

I did not have high expectations and was totally not expecting them to be so "full sounding" as these shells are so miniscule compared to my favorite MX500 type. Definitely better than the PK earbuds as these have better low ends. These do BOTH comfort and sound.

I will be looking forward to the day I get the or 120ohm titanium or blue bells. I believe these are the right direction for me.
Concur completely regarding the Ks bell shell shape and sizing. I have had my Ksearphone Bell-Ti 120Ω (No. 831/1000) earbuds now for over two weeks and I am beyond pleased with them; truly amazing. They are even more ear friendly than my 600Ω Puresounds!

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #52,785 of 75,342

Please share the link of your K's LBBS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back