Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 28, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #52,696 of 75,673
I need to see enough reviews before even considering it as an option. I bought the EP05, and in my opinion it's not a good buy, even considering the low price. For me, the RY4S Plus is much better. The sound is extremely in your face, and soundstage is much narrower. Face to face, the RY4S could seem as more laid back, but it's only that it has a more spacious presentation, more air between instruments and, globally, a more refined sound, where even the bass is miles ahead, in quantity and quality.

I also gave the EP05 the benefit of 50 hours of burn-in (not particularly a believer but, given that it's free...) and nothing changed, it is what it is.

In the (I hope) near future, I have high expectations in M3 being what M2 Pro finally wasn't.
Dang, I was planning on checking out the EP05. Is the mmcx cable it comes with any decent? If so I'll probably give it a shot for $14. Kinda interested in their beryllium EP09 but don't really have my hopes up.

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #52,697 of 75,673
Dang, I was planning on checking out the EP05. Is the mmcx cable it comes with any decent? If so I'll probably give it a shot for $14. Kinda interested in their beryllium EP09 but don't really have my hopes up.

Ugh! The cable... Let me try to explain with a photo

IMG_20210228_155450 (2).jpg

Do you see how recessed is the connector on the right? That makes impossible to fit it to the shell. Atrocious QC. Fortunately, I always have some spare cables, but this is unacceptable for an average user.

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #52,698 of 75,673
Ugh! The cable... Let me try to explain with a photo

IMG_20210228_155450 (2).jpg

Do you see how recessed is the connector on the right? That makes impossible to fit it to the shell. Atrocious QC. Fortunately, I always have some spare cables, but this is unacceptable for an average user.
The threads that hold the mmcx to the housing are damaged and this is difficult to repair. You can try with superglue, but that already requires a little more work

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #52,699 of 75,673
Feb 28, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #52,700 of 75,673
Hey all,
Is there any consensus about the Openheart OH860s (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001180479742.html) ? I recently ordered them as my first chi-fi earbuds after not finding much about the brand online except that some people seemed to like them. Of course only afterwards did I find a thread on this site where someone showed that some other model from this brand is apparently just generic parts glued together with cool product images attatched.
Are they legit, or did I get boofed?
Just think of it like you ask someone to build for you a solid pair of buds from DIY parts. I don't see anything wrong here especially for the $20.
If this is your first buds with metal shells and a replacement cable then this is a great model to start with.

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #52,701 of 75,673
The threads that hold the mmcx to the housing are damaged and this is difficult to repair. You can try with superglue, but that already requires a little more work

Well, the problem is that the connector is glued and fixed at that level. Trying to pull it that mm with pliers barely helps a little, because the "best" you can get is a very loose fit. All in all, they have a lot of things to improve if they want to stay in business.

Feb 28, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #52,702 of 75,673
Honestly, the costs of buying multiple budget gear does add up to a midfi gear soon enough. I learnt that the hard way after getting many sidegrades, which I find it hard to sell away now (as the resale value of cheap CHIFI isn't as good as say some more established stuff like Sony or western brands).

But I suppose buying a cheap IEM/earbud is useful to sample the different sound signatures if you are not sure yet. And there's also a case to argue that buying multiple cheap sets can give a pokemon collection (gotta catch them all) to suit different music genres and sonic preferences. But once u know the sound u like, it might behoof you to just upgrade from there to midfi (or even TOTL) and call it a day. Easier said than done though, FOMO is strong and new hypetrains come out on an almost weekly basis in CHIFIland!
This is one of the best answers, everything else is superfluous to comment on.

Feb 28, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #52,703 of 75,673
I've been going back into the rabbit hole and hypothetically if I wanted to buy a Ksearphone Titanium Bell Onmyoji Bell-Ti, where would the be the best place to buy it from or is it only available on Aliexpress?

And would those match my wants I described here (besides the price)? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-16207493

Just hypothetically of course..

Feb 28, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #52,704 of 75,673
Just think of it like you ask someone to build for you a solid pair of buds from DIY parts. I don't see anything wrong here especially for the $20.
If this is your first buds with metal shells and a replacement cable then this is a great model to start with.
That's a good perspective I didn't consider, thanks!

Feb 28, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #52,705 of 75,673
Honestly, the costs of buying multiple budget gear does add up to a midfi gear soon enough. I learnt that the hard way after getting many sidegrades, which I find it hard to sell away now (as the resale value of cheap CHIFI isn't as good as say some more established stuff like Sony or western brands).

But I suppose buying a cheap IEM/earbud is useful to sample the different sound signatures if you are not sure yet. And there's also a case to argue that buying multiple cheap sets can give a pokemon collection (gotta catch them all) to suit different music genres and sonic preferences. But once u know the sound u like, it might behoof you to just upgrade from there to midfi (or even TOTL) and call it a day. Easier said than done though, FOMO is strong and new hypetrains come out on an almost weekly basis in CHIFIland!
Yeah, I also feel like that, so I guess I'm jumping right into Onmyoji.

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #52,706 of 75,673
I've been going back into the rabbit hole and hypothetically if I wanted to buy a Ksearphone Titanium Bell Onmyoji Bell-Ti, where would the be the best place to buy it from or is it only available on Aliexpress?

And would those match my wants I described here (besides the price)? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-16207493

Just hypothetically of course..
Yeah, I also feel like that, so I guess I'm jumping right into Onmyoji.
A FYI for those considering the highly recommended Onmyoji...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-15613708
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-15614045

I concur with @ClieOS regarding the Bell-Ti 120Ω... it is indeed a rather warm & smooth (relaxing), and fatigue-free (ear-friendly) sounding earbud meant for extended listening. It doesn't have some of that sparkle I get from my Blurs but boy it sure is an easy earbud to listen to and I definitely rank it as my best earbud at the moment and even believe it out plays my old Puresounds in the fatigue-free "listen forever" department. The comfort is unmatched period.

Comparing my Bell-Ti 120Ω with the aluminum shelled Bell-Onmyoji 30Ω one can indeed tell that Ksearphone is gradually perfecting their bell design and improving build quality with experience however it is not a night or day difference and one must take into consideration the difficulties associated with working with titanium vs aluminum.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #52,707 of 75,673
Just curious if anyone would care to provide a recommendation? Looking for an earbud to use exclusively for movie/tv show/YouTube vid consumption direct from hp put of my old Macbook Pro. Definitely sub-$100, but strongly prefer sub-$50, because historically, earbuds & me are a terrible physical fit, so don't want to risk much $$.

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #52,708 of 75,673
Just curious if anyone would care to provide a recommendation? Looking for an earbud to use exclusively for movie/tv show/YouTube vid consumption direct from hp put of my old Macbook Pro. Definitely sub-$100, but strongly prefer sub-$50, because historically, earbuds & me are a terrible physical fit, so don't want to risk much $$.

How about the Yincrow X6?

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #52,710 of 75,673
Can anyone remember which of the 2 high impedance earbuds were better? Zen 2.0 or K's 300 Samsara?

Zen 2.0 was a bit of a toss for me: mids and treble are nice and airy with no foams, but the bass is really lacking, while even with with thin VE foams, the sound of the bass would be good, but the mids and treble would be too warm...so EQ is a must for me with the Zen

the Samsara is also warm in signature, but sounded more coherent across the board, so i myself prefer it more than the Zen 2.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back