Earbuds Round-Up
May 13, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #47,896 of 75,068
I was lucky to get the target vintage MDR-E888 for about $ 130 at the flea market. I've been listening to it for about 18 hours.

2.jpg

The sound of the MDR-E888 has enough low tone when using the double full foams, and has a little softer low resonance than the MDR-E848 which I previously reported, no other clear difference is found.
I wonder if there isn't much difference because it's the same series, or maybe I don't have the ears to tell the difference...

Well then, as the next target I'll manage to find ,the vintage MDR-E868 (although it rarely seem to be listed in the flea market at a reasonable price as under $120), which is said to have V-shaped sound. And I'll compare the 3 siblings's sound!

EDIT:
After that I've seen in many reviews that the MDR-E868 is said to have too sharp treble and to have the least amount of bass in the 3 siblings.
So I change to buy it as the target if it is sold cheaply.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #47,897 of 75,068
So, I'm finally discovering how good the Yuin PK2's really are. Only after transplanting them in a different shell w/MMCX. (The original shells were sold to someone to repair a PK1.)

PK2 on the right.

They have a warm, analogue sound with good bass and lower mid-range. They're not muddy but its got some heft to it. Upper mids and treble is smooth and treble leans towards almost too polite but still carries some detail. Unfortunately sub-bass below 42-45hz is rolled off, as typical of smaller 14.8mm drivers.

These things excel at rock genres. Sure, they aren't as resolving as some newer/higher end stuff, but it's not anywhere near bad either. Just 1 tier down (4 of 5). The mids/highs are responsive to EQ, if you wish to change the signature. I tend to prefer a more balanced signature, so I EQ'ed them to where I enjoy them.

This was a pleasant surprise for me, as I don't recall them being this good. I'm thinking either the cable wasn't good or the apple usb-c to 3.5mm wasn't driving these well enough. Another plus of this transplant, is these are known for cable failure, which will no longer be an issue :).

Anyone able to confirm if the pictured drivers are the new or old/original batch?
I am interested in tthose new MMCXed shells. Did you make shells MMCXed by your own only?

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #47,899 of 75,068
Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #47,900 of 75,068
Finally got a hold of Jim at NiceHCK...we discussed the HungryPanda earbud...I suggested a special edition of one of their current buds plus a bit of a donation for covid-19 research included. The package should cost somewhere between $7 and $15. The idea is that nobody makes a profit, that everything goes to a good cause, and that it is affordable for everybody.

Jim will have to propose this to his bosses.

The HungryPanda was one of the most popular Head-Fiers who sadly succumbed to covid-19 last month.

hp-2.jpg

May 13, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #47,901 of 75,068
Just got some simphonio dragon 2+.
I think they sound superb.
Wide soundstage!
They remind me of the campfred 2’s but a little more refined and neutral.
I’m hearing a great amount of detail and yet it’s a somewhat relaxed sound.
Listening to The Clash “London Calling” and D’Angelo “Black Messiah” albums.

May 13, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #47,902 of 75,068
I already posted impression on both RW-1000 and QJ21 in the past, just search my older post. I have the Bell-Blue for awhile now - It has the hallmark of K's house sound - warm and rich with a sweet vocal, well tuned for mainstream music, very much a lower 1st tier, closely follow the Bell-Ti. It is however not the latest from K's anymore, as they are about to release the 'Onmyoji', which is meant to be a cheaper edition of Bell-Ti. ZEVA Silver King, for what I know, is the silver cable version of Lord.E. There is also a prototype named the 'fire lord' in development as well. The 32ohm you are referring is probably the SuperFire, now comes as either Prime edition (same tuning as original) or Pro edition (new tuning).
Hi CLie, onmyoji was released already. do you have any idea where i can get a confirmation about this onmyoji is a cheaper version or the upgrade version? my local seller here said it's an upgrade version. thanks

May 13, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #47,903 of 75,068
Hi CLie, onmyoji was released already. do you have any idea where i can get a confirmation about this onmyoji is a cheaper version or the upgrade version? my local seller here said it's an upgrade version. thanks

Actually it is both - slightly cheaper because Onmyoji uses aluminum shell instead of titanium shell (*Bell-Ti), but SQ improves slightly as well. Sound signature are actually very similar between the two. Onmyoji has a slightly deeper and wider soundstage and a smoother / better textured upper vocal range. The improvement isn't night and day so Bell-Ti owner probably have no need to rush out for an Onmyoji. Though if you are going to get either one, then definitely consider the Onmyoji first.

May 14, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #47,904 of 75,068
Actually it is both - slightly cheaper because Onmyoji uses aluminum shell instead of titanium shell (*Bell-Ti), but SQ improves slightly as well. Sound signature are actually very similar between the two. Onmyoji has a slightly deeper and wider soundstage and a smoother / better textured upper vocal range. The improvement isn't night and day so Bell-Ti owner probably have no need to rush out for an Onmyoji. Though if you are going to get either one, then definitely consider the Onmyoji first.
i heard that Bell Ti is limited. only 1000 pcs. but the build on Onmyoji is better. so i really confuse here.
the comparison above is based on Bell Ti 30 or 120?

May 14, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #47,905 of 75,068
Just received the Y**yoo BK2. These are my first earbuds after coming from a few Chifi IEM's (KZ Zs10 Pro, Tin T4) and I must say they sound horrible.

I understand they obviously won't provide the isolation that IEMs and it's important to get a good fit/seating, but after reading some of the rave reviews I thought they'd be better than this? I have to really push them into my ears with my hands to hear any bass, and obviously when I let go I lose all the bass.

https://nobsaudiophile.wordpress.com/2019/05/03/****-bk2-rightly-tuned-wrongly-priced-too-cheap/

https://primeaudio.org/****-bk2-earbuds-review-steadfast/

I haven't burn-in at all. Do the BK2 benefit from burn-in?

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #47,906 of 75,068
i heard that Bell Ti is limited. only 1000 pcs. but the build on Onmyoji is better. so i really confuse here.
the comparison above is based on Bell Ti 30 or 120?

Bell-Ti 30 ohm. I have the Bell-Ti 120 ohm as well, which has a completely different sound signature that is more toward the rich and warmth side, like a improved VE Zen 2. However, technically the 30 ohm and the 120 ohm ain't that far off from each other.

Yes, due to the relatively high cost of the titanium shell, the number of Bell-Ti are limited. While Onmyoji has aluminum shell, K has learned enough from the design of Bell-Ti to improve on the build quality of Onmyoji.

May 14, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #47,907 of 75,068
Wow. I... Am.... Shook....

My snow lotus 1.0+'s just came in. I am blown away at the price to performance ratio these things exude. Amazing.

How am I just discovering the world of earbuds just now? Pk2' s will be in next week. Smabat s10 (silver edition) will roll in 2 or 3 weeks from now. Can't wait.
Can anyone send me a "link" to taobao on the "Snow Lotus 1.0"? I would like to look into them more.:yum:

May 14, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #47,909 of 75,068
Bell-Ti 30 ohm. I have the Bell-Ti 120 ohm as well, which has a completely different sound signature that is more toward the rich and warmth side, like a improved VE Zen 2. However, technically the 30 ohm and the 120 ohm ain't that far off from each other.

Yes, due to the relatively high cost of the titanium shell, the number of Bell-Ti are limited. While Onmyoji has aluminum shell, K has learned enough from the design of Bell-Ti to improve on the build quality of Onmyoji.

so you still consider to take Onmyoji over Bell Ti-120? i'm into details and speed a lot. not a basshead.

May 14, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #47,910 of 75,068
so you still consider to take Onmyoji over Bell Ti-120? i'm into details and speed a lot. not a basshead.

I'll only recommend Bell-Ti 120 ohm if you are more into a rich, warm and smooth sound. Otherwise Onmyoji will have a more versatile sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back