Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 30, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #52,036 of 75,538
Jan 30, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #52,037 of 75,538
Yeah, I just heard about the walnut f2 the other day in the discovery thread. For a mobile cmoy amp, I have can't believe it puts out that kind of power for $25. I'm wondering if ASR measured it in the past.

I know @DBaldock9 has one. What's your experience been like?

I like my Walnut F2 as an Amp, and it sounds decent as a USB DAC, but wish it had a higher performance DAC chip in it - so that it could support files other than 16-Bit / 44.1 or 48-KHz .wav or .mp3.

I've modified mine - replaced the 4x JRC-4580 op-amps, with 4x MUSES-8920E, to drive the Single-Ended Output; and replaced the 2x DRV-134-UA Single Channel Differential Line Drivers, with SSM-2142-SZ, to drive the Balanced Output. I also replaced the DIP-8 socket, and the two big electrolytic capacitors.

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #52,038 of 75,538
Anybody familiar with the recent "T" designation on the MX500 variants ?
I knew of regular, and "S" but seeing the new one am curious about the "T" variants.

I did search the thread here before posting this question yes :) using various search terms, but turned up nothing.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #52,040 of 75,538
Found an example!!!
1611981749856.png

1611981938981.png

Aiwa HP-V151 Duo Bass Boost Pipe-Phone; August 1996-1998
1611981798253.png
■ Diaphragm: 16mm
■ Impedance: 16Ω
■ Sensitivity: 107dB/mW
■ Frequency Response: 8-25,000Hz
■ Max Power Input: 50mW
Probably one of Aiwa's most famous earbuds!
@WoodyLuvr thank you very much. This is very useful information
It is really impressive how they managed to create a transmission line system in such a small space.
With this two resonator ducts they managed to balance the bass really nicely.
The only thing that bothers me about them right now is the thin cables with asymmetrical sides and the driver covers are loose.
But this is an easy fix. I will talk a little more about this model next time
Also, I find this measurement. They have recessed upper mids. I'll do my measurements for my model after fix.
HP-V151.png

Jan 30, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #52,041 of 75,538
Updated files for the Monk Plus, v1.5 bass and neutral targets here.

To be honest, I was overly harsh with my initial assessment of these buds in it's stock tuning. The mid bass bloom is obvious but it's not a bad bud and I can see why it's so popular over on the EA group on FB. EQ cleans it up nicely.

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #52,042 of 75,538
I don't know about your experience with it, what happened?
I was expecting similar performance from DLC drivers in earbuds, such as the BL-03, but I was totally disappointed with the BGVP DX5 model
Well, to me the turandot is nothing close to TOTL. Bad timbre for a bud, tonality is way too bright, treble is boosted too much like typical chi-fi tuning. Bass is the best part but even that is actually a bit unclean. Yincrow X6 beats it in every way except technicalities...

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #52,043 of 75,538
Well, to me the turandot is nothing close to TOTL. Bad timbre for a bud, tonality is way too bright, treble is boosted too much like typical chi-fi tuning. Bass is the best part but even that is actually a bit unclean. Yincrow X6 beats it in every way except technicalities...

And non detachable cable too for the price!

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #52,044 of 75,538
that too, even worse is when the shell is very heavy while the cable is super thin. Doesnt inspire faith in the durability lol.

(I have actually reviewed it, but not on head-fi, the link is in my review section of my database.)

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #52,045 of 75,538
We often see this, that some cheaper models have better characteristics than more expensive models. We have to take into account that Yincrow company has been in this game for quite some time, so the experience should not be neglected
I don't know about your country, but in my country we say: the gold is not everything that shines. :wink:

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #52,046 of 75,538
Yes you are right, that is one of the downsides of that model.
It's not clear to me how the cables of these vintage buds, which are over 20 years old, have survived at all. Today's cables are superior in every way in terms of performance, but I can't say the same for durability.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #52,047 of 75,538
We often see this, that some cheaper models have better characteristics than more expensive models. We have to take into account that Yincrow company has been in this game for quite some time, so the experience should not be neglected
I don't know about your country, but in my country we say: the gold is not everything that shines. :wink:
I just find it ridiculous that something at this price with this performance is called TOTL, when the X6 exists at like 20x times cheaper.

This is why I am reallly hesitating to get more "TOTL" buds, as I am afraid that they all will just have worse tuning than the X6.

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #52,048 of 75,538
I just find it ridiculous that something at this price with this performance is called TOTL, when the X6 exists at like 20x times cheaper.

This is why I am reallly hesitating to get more "TOTL" buds, as I am afraid that they all will just have worse tuning than the X6.

IMHO, the diminishing returns from TOTL to budget/midfi level is very huge in this audio hobby, not just specifically for earbuds, but for sources and IEMs too. (We shan't talk about cables and their price to performance ratio, let's leave that for another day as it is a big can of worms haha).

The great thing about earbuds though, is the barrier to entry is low, as good sound can start as low as $10 or even less. And perhaps some can even find their endgame earbuds at below $20.

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #52,049 of 75,538
IMHO, the diminishing returns from TOTL to budget/midfi level is very huge in this audio hobby, not just specifically for earbuds, but for sources and IEMs too. (We shan't talk about cables and their price to performance ratio, let's leave that for another day as it is a big can of worms haha).

The great thing about earbuds though, is the barrier to entry is low, as good sound can start as low as $10 or even less. And perhaps some can even find their endgame earbuds at below $20.
Yeah, but in my experience the diminishing returns from earbuds is wayyyy bigger than it is for iems.

My endgame bud is the X6 lol. You need to get it already. :joy:

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #52,050 of 75,538

That is why you have a reason to explore more affordable models.
To be honest I started researching and collecting vintage models. Some of them are affordable, but some rare ones are ultra expensive over $500.
The ones I have currently belonged to the affordable group, the sound is pretty good but again a lot of chifi models definitely have better sound characteristics.
So it all comes down to the same thing, the only difference is that here we are comparing old and new technology

Users who are viewing this thread

Back