Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 19, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #51,691 of 75,725
When I mentioned the new connection system I meant an innovative modular system that will not compromise the fit and can be easily changed. Just to mention it refers to the connection of the cable to the shell only.
For example modular cable system with interchangeable plugs invented by Dita Audio company it is slowly beginning to have wide application.
This technology was taken over by DUNU and applied on its famous CHORD, HULK, BLANCHE and NOBLE cables.
And Fiio was the first to apply the same system on earbuds (EM5 model).
Also this modular system plugs can be purchased separately
An interesting solution that could be applied to earbuds is twist-to-lock design which secures the connection firmly.
Many companies have been using this system with headphones for a long time
tal.jpg
Now thats a good idea!

Twist-lock designs seems to a good alternative to traditional 2pin/mmcx connectors for iems/buds.

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #51,692 of 75,725
Concur and fully appreciate all "detachable cable" opinions offered and shared. I most definitely see the need for detachable connectors for those mobile users pushing the limits of fixed cabling. That said, my being completely stationary while listening, I rarely, if ever, test my earbuds' cable integrity limits. Besides the two Shure IEMs I mentioned before and a second-hand pair of Puresounds that were heavily used before my time, I have had zero issues with cables and prefer my earbuds to be as light as possible for a securer fit.

Yes, it too amazes me that besides Audio-Technica's developed A2DC connector pretty much all other IEM/earbud connectors used are based off of coaxial RF connectors for antennas.
I use my earbuds the same way. Even outside I avoid listening to music, but I use BT buds from time to time. Do you mean this Puresound model?
Yup. A.T. has superb connectors for both IEM's and headphones. But only their models use these connectors?

Jan 19, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #51,693 of 75,725
I use my earbuds the same way. Even outside I avoid listening to music, but I use BT buds from time to time. Do you mean this Puresound model?
No, my model was the discontinued PureSounds PS100-600S 600Ω ear buds ("Pop" Tuned Edition; 2.5mm balanced plug; 600-core copper cable).
I acquired them second-hand from a fellow member here. They were heavenly; absolutely no fatigue to speak of. Super smooth.....................
Yup. A.T. has superb connectors for both IEM's and headphones. But only their models use these connectors?
I believe so.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #51,694 of 75,725
No, my model was the discontinued PureSounds PS100-600S 600Ω ear buds ("Pop" Tuned Edition; 2.5mm balanced plug; 600-core copper cable).
I acquired them second-hand from a fellow member here. They were heavenly; absolutely no fatigue to speak of.

I believe so.
Wow man :scream: What is that thing:deadhorse: It's look A M A I Z I N G !!! "Steampunk" :relaxed: Like candy-music box
Well that's a real DAC / Amp and not all this fancy devices that we see these days.:wink:
You really surprised me...BTW what's under the hood :beerchug:

Jan 19, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #51,695 of 75,725
Normally have 4-6 buds in my backpack. Today it's just these two:

PXL_20210119_194628544.jpg

Both of them used to be the most dramatically improved by my compensation files until the Datura Pro came along.

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #51,696 of 75,725
Jan 19, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #51,698 of 75,725
Hey guys thinking about getting the Smabat ST10s just wondering the difference between the 150 ohms and 40 ohms versions besides the impedence of course. If it matters I'm just gonna be driving them through my PC no external amp or dac.
In that case go with 40ohm. The only difference you will notice is that 150ohm at the same volume level is heard quieter

Jan 19, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #51,699 of 75,725
Wow man :scream: What is that thing:deadhorse: It's look A M A I Z I N G !!! "Steampunk" :relaxed: Like candy-music box
Well that's a real DAC / Amp and not all this fancy devices that we see these days.:wink:
You really surprised me...BTW what's under the hood :beerchug:
Thank you! Steampunk was a DIY project of mine... unfortunately, I accidently drowned it one day trying to upgrade the pot :weary: so it is no more. The box is now simply used to store my earbud accessories in. You can read about the full build here

Jan 19, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #51,700 of 75,725
Thank you! Steampunk was a DIY project of mine... unfortunately, I accidently drowned it one day trying to upgrade the pot :weary: so it is no more. The box is now simply used to store my earbud accessories in. You can read about the full build here
This is the beast! I didn't know you like to play with DIY stuff too. Honestly, I haven't seen a nicer DIY device so far, seriously. Great work :beerchug:
I'm sorry it turned out that way, but at least the box can be used for "jewels", .... sorry, i mean buds :wink:

Jan 19, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #51,703 of 75,725
How does the datura pro compare to the smabat s10s or fiio em5?

Don't have the Fiio EM5.

But the Datura Pro in stock form is midcentric with a roll off at the bass (quite marked) and a treble roll off. It is a very niche tuning as such that is best for vocal/acoustic type genres. Timbre is good, technicalities are average. Doesn't do well with some genres that have bass forward music. With @Sam L 's EQ, it becomes a beast.

The SMABAT ST10S (Black Gold), is neutralish with a subbass boost. I don't have the black silver which is a different tuning. The Black Gold needs amping, don't try a low powered smartphone with it. It has very good technicalities, and the subbass is the best I've heard in a earbud (which is usually an area of weakness in most buds). Timbre is okay, but it costs way more than the Datura Pro, so not really a fair comparison, very different tuning and power requirements too.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #51,704 of 75,725
Don't have the Fiio EM5.

But the Datura Pro in stock form is midcentric with a roll off at the bass (quite marked) and a treble roll off. It is a very niche tuning as such that is best for vocal/acoustic type genres. Timbre is good, technicalities are average. Doesn't do well with some genres that have bass forward music. With @Sam L 's EQ, it becomes a beast.

The SMABAT ST10S (Black Gold), is neutralish with a subbass boost. I don't have the black silver which is a different tuning. The Black Gold needs amping, don't try a low powered smartphone with it. It has very good technicalities, and the subbass is the best I've heard in a earbud (which is usually an area of weakness in most buds). Timbre is okay, but it costs way more than the Datura Pro, so not really a fair comparison, very different tuning and power requirements too.

I want to know how it compares to the equalized datura pro.

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #51,705 of 75,725

Users who are viewing this thread

Back