Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 8, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #50,881 of 75,342
Yes. LG Phones are still providing Headphone Jack. I am waiting for V70 which will be released in Jan I guess. V60 is good too but the issue is that they are making phones to heavy. They all are 210 grams. My current phone is 153 gram and S10 is 157 and S10+ is also around 170. Even Budget phones RedMi, Honor, Oppo, Vivo etc. not providing 3.5mm Jack. They are bunch of fools who are just following Apple without thinking and many fools are even buying these phones too. I really want some Consumer Court to fine them Billions of $$$s for not providing 3.5mm Jack, I wish if that can happen.
It is a sad reality, but I think you need to get used to not having a headphone jack in phones. (and soon no adapter, iems at all lol.)

Get a dongle or a bluetooth dac/amp then. Sound wise those bluetooth dac/amps are very good.

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #50,882 of 75,342
It is a sad reality, but I think you need to get used to not having a headphone jack in phones. (and soon no adapter, iems at all lol.)

Get a dongle or a bluetooth dac/amp then. Sound wise those bluetooth dac/amps are very good.
Then I will be fine with buying older models. Cannot use in ear. In fact this group/forum with over 3300 pages are only about earbuds. Not in-ear.

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #50,883 of 75,342
Then I will be fine with buying older models. Cannot use in ear. In fact this group/forum with over 3300 pages are only about earbuds. Not in-ear.
You do know that you can use earbuds with dongles/bluetooth-dac/amps? I wasnt talking about iems.

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #50,884 of 75,342
Dec 8, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #50,886 of 75,342
I recieved and soldered my Smabat M2 Pro kit yersterday. I got it for 30$, which I think is reasonable, and I like the idea of paying less for a kit (that said I could have done without the USB soldering iron, it's pure waste). I had the basic titanium coated driver and only one type of tuning mudule (type 0).

Here is a rough estimation of how they sound to me at around 60 Phons (I used frequency sweeps and 10 bands of noise covering 20-10k bandwidth. I quickly modelized with some parametric filters so it's pleasing to look at, and left the parametres values so you can see the frequencies the peaks are centered on. Please ignore the red curve. Be aware of the fact this is what I hear so you should at least substract the equal loudness contour to have an idea of the absolute response)
M2Pro_freq.png

As you can see it sounds good... but shouty. And i'm usally not against a little 2-3k spiciness. I thought this was because of tuning module misplacement but it kept sounding the same on both chanels even after adjusting them. I think It could be addressed easely making some tweaks to the modules themselves. For the moment Eq does the job nicely.

A part from that it's the best pair of buds I had the chance to hear, and by far. The bass response is absolutely excellent and no need to force a strong seal to get there (which also means no compromises in regard to clarity). Sub 100hz boost, no bloat, no bass bleed whatsoever, that is close to ideal in my book (for an open device). Treble is excellent as well, no nasty high Q peak at 5k as we usually see. Everything is smooth and it's extended beyond 18khz (my hearing threshold).

The result of this nice frequency response is a clean, detailed and satisfactory sound. Soundstage is good, althought I don't find super relevent to comment on this aspect. It reproduces quasi-binaural recordings beatifully though, like a good headphone would. For those who are into binaural post treatment (like Haas effect and complexe reverbs applied to non binaural recordings), the 2.7khz peak is helpful as it prevents the recordings to sound overly dark and the voices to be shifted on on side of the image.

When it comes to the fit I have no complain for the moment. I like the cable and the look (although I would have like it a little more discreet).

In the end it's quite the opposite of what we commonly get. And it's clearly for the better (imo)!

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #50,887 of 75,342
I recieved and soldered my Smabat M2 Pro kit yersterday. I got it for 30$, which I think is reasonable, and I like the idea of paying less for a kit (that said I could have done without the USB soldering iron, it's pure waste). I had the basic titanium coated driver and only one type of tuning mudule (type 0).

Here is a rough estimation of how they sound to me at around 60 Phons (I used frequency sweeps and 10 bands of noise covering 20-10k bandwidth. I quickly modelized with some parametric filters so it's pleasing to look at, and left the parametres values so you can see the frequencies the peaks are centered on. Please ignore the red curve. Be aware of the fact this is what I hear so you should at least substract the equal loudness contour to have an idea of the absolute response)
M2Pro_freq.png

As you can see it sounds good... but shouty. And i'm usally not against a little 2-3k spiciness. I thought this was because of tuning module misplacement but it kept sounding the same on both chanels even after adjusting them. I think It could be addressed easely making some tweaks to the modules themselves. For the moment Eq does the job nicely.

A part from that it's the best pair of buds I had the chance to hear, and by far. The bass response is absolutely excellent and no need to force a strong seal to get there (which also means no compromises in regard to clarity). Sub 100hz boost, no bloat, no bass bleed whatsoever, that is close to ideal in my book (for an open device). Treble is excellent as well, no nasty high Q peak at 5k as we usually see. Everything is smooth and it's extended beyond 18khz (my hearing threshold).

The result of this nice frequency response is a clean, detailed and satisfactory sound. Soundstage is good, althought I don't find super relevent to comment on this aspect. It reproduces quasi-binaural recordings beatifully though, like a good headphone would. For those who are into binaural post treatment (like Haas effect and complexe reverbs applied to non binaural recordings), the 2.7khz peak is helpful as it prevents the recordings to sound overly dark and the voices to be shifted on on side of the image.

When it comes to the fit I have no complain for the moment. I like the cable and the look (although I would have like it a little more discreet).

In the end it's quite the opposite of what we commonly get. And it's clearly for the better (imo)!
these look shouty af, glad i didnt buy these based on the graph of course

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #50,888 of 75,342
Hello Friends. Hope all are doing well. I am facing some issue and I am sure you all will be encountering the same. As you know that now Mobile Companies started following Apple blindly and not providing 3.5mm Jack, it has become almost impossible for me to buy new phone as I use phone (and a paid Music Player Software) to listen to the songs. But the phone needs upgrade now. One option is to buy 1-2 years old model like S10 or S10+ and see if any good phone comes with headphone jack in next 3-4 years. I have few earbuds and I don't want to use connector and don't want to just leave them too. I have Monk+, TP-16, FiiO EM3, Fengru etc. and many more earbuds. But none will be compatible with latest phones. I don't want to use Bluetooth even if Samsung or these companies made me Brand Ambassador and pay me Millions of $$$s to use them their phone with Bluetooth. And 1-2 phones which are having 3.5mm Jack, wither they are very basic with poor specs or too heavy to carry (much more than 170 grams).

Does anyone knows if these earbuds are available with C Type Connector also. Or similar earbuds which has good bass and with Mic are available in C Type? Any help will be highly appreciated. If none is available, then I will buy S10 or S10+.

I am also wondering if we can order and built our own High end Phones with the specs these companies provide. I know that the cost of the phone for these companies are not more than $200-300 so even if we build one set only, it will not cost more than $1000. But not sure how and where to order the parts required for that? Thanks.

I understand your annoyance with the phone companies removing the headphone jacks, but why don't you want to use a bluetooth receiver? They have excellent sound quality these days. The BTR3K is very good (as is the Radsone ES100 that I had before), and apparently the BTR5 and Qudelx 5k are very very good.

I have an S8, so I have a headphone jack which I really like having as a backup in case my BTR3K's battery dies (which isn't too often because it's battery life is quite good). But I generally I listen to all of my wired earbuds using the BTR3K and my phone, so it's not like I couldn't live without the headphone jack now.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #50,889 of 75,342
I understand your annoyance with the phone companies removing the headphone jacks, but why don't you want to use a bluetooth receiver? They have excellent sound quality these days. The BTR3K is very good (as is the Radsone ES100 that I had before), and apparently the BTR5 and Qudelx 5k are very very good.

I have an S8, so I have a headphone jack which I really like having as a backup in case my BTR3K's battery dies (which isn't too often because it's battery life is quite good). But I generally I listen to all of my wired earbuds using the BTR3K and my phone, so it's not like I couldn't live without the headphone jack now.
Couple of reasons for not using Bluetooth.

1. It is really harmful for health. 99.9% people may not be aware of that but the effects, especially on one's mental health, will be visible after longer period only. Like 15-20 years.
  2. I don't want to keep Bluetooth on and drain the batter in few hours.
  3. Every day you need to charge your Bluetooth headphone also. One day you forget, then you are gone if you are not able to charge it for some reason.
  4. All Bluetooth earphones are in-ear only. I have not seen any earbud yet.
These are only few reasons. I can surely list few more easily.

And on top of that, there is not a single reason which is actually valid for not providing 3.5mm Jack. These companies are only making people fool and not anything else. Their logic of slimmer phone or water resistant phone are useless. I am yet to see a phone which is 4mm in thickness. And there are number of phnes which has headphone jack and still water resistant.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #50,890 of 75,342

Also, I don't want to carry too many devices and connectors etc. I am usually on phone for one of more reason related to the work so need a phone which I can use to talk also. Even if I use DAC or any other device, these phones will still be useless for me as I cannot use them to talk. I prefer headset/earphones only to talk so my hands are free to do other works as well. I cannot keep talking only for ~2 hours in a day and do nothing at that time.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #50,891 of 75,342
Hey everyone, I haven't posted in this forum for years. Used to be really active back in the day. Thanks to another member here, my Shozy Cygnus earbuds' drivers were repaired and a new silver plated cable attached (they work like a charm ever since).

To date I use an Astellnkern AK70 DAP along with Shozy Cygnus (mainly for office use, or vocal-heavy music) and Rose Mojito earbuds (mainly for electronic music and jazz, where they really shine). Used to own Shozy Stardust as well, but really the Cygnus are better.

Have earbuds really progressed since then? Anything similar to the Rose Mojito in the earbud world? By that I mean an almost electrostatic headphones-like sound with insanely good treble, a sub-bass that really kicks, and extreme detailing and soundstage.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #50,892 of 75,342
talking about older models.... finally got my hands on these...

4S8SpyJ.png
Used to own these. Until they literally fell apart. Those ear things broke, and the drivers died. Very poor design in my opinion. As for the sound, not bad but not great. Somewhat detailed but low end was lacking.

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #50,893 of 75,342
Hey everyone, I haven't posted in this forum for years. Used to be really active back in the day. Thanks to another member here, my Shozy Cygnus earbuds' drivers were repaired and a new silver plated cable attached (they work like a charm ever since).

To date I use an Astellnkern AK70 DAP along with Shozy Cygnus (mainly for office use, or vocal-heavy music) and Rose Mojito earbuds (mainly for electronic music and jazz, where they really shine). Used to own Shozy Stardust as well, but really the Cygnus are better.

Have earbuds really progressed since then? Anything similar to the Rose Mojito in the earbud world? By that I mean an almost electrostatic headphones-like sound with insanely good treble, a sub-bass that really kicks, and extreme detailing and soundstage.
unfortunately I don't think anything has surpassed the dual driver Rose earbuds, their expensive flagship, the Rose Maria certainly will no doubt, but maybe try the 1more e1008? The piezio can really shine sometimes, it's addictive and I keep coming back to it.
Downside is no replacable cable for it unfortunately and I imagine the complex and very fine design would make any repairs hard if the cable did break, at least repairs that looks seamless and not janky.

I'm incredibly excited to recieve some Masyas in february, american friend is holding onto them for me til I'm back home then!

I'm going to buy the Toneking Ty2 too, since innovation in earbuds is severely lacking, but that's the only impressive innovation I've seen in earbuds beyond DIYing with the 14mm planar driver one can buy and making a planar earbud (tuning is probably a nightmare and having to solder it all up, find a shell, ect yourself is also an obstacle).

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #50,894 of 75,342
Also, I don't want to carry too many devices and connectors etc. I am usually on phone for one of more reason related to the work so need a phone which I can use to talk also. Even if I use DAC or any other device, these phones will still be useless for me as I cannot use them to talk. I prefer headset/earphones only to talk so my hands are free to do other works as well. I cannot keep talking only for ~2 hours in a day and do nothing at that time.

most bluetooth dacs usually can still make phone calls as they would have built-in mic on them

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #50,895 of 75,342
What are the Rose Marias like? Anyone tried? And are there any triple dynamic driver buds out there yet? Or dare I say, planar magnetic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back