Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 7, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #50,851 of 75,272
Well, buds outside of the house and inside a pretty quiet co-working space.
Are you "sharing" your music with the other people there then? :joy:

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #50,852 of 75,272
Using buds outside? Arent they going to leak (disturb others) and with a poor isolation so you want to increase volume, thus risking hearing damage? :joy:
This is a good recipe for tinnitus, I followed it and I got it. How harmless it sounds, believe me, it's not pleasant at all.
Earbuds or any open-back headphones, no matter how much you like to use these, just forget to use these outdoors

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #50,853 of 75,272
This is a good recipe for tinnitus, I followed it and I got it. How harmless it sounds, believe me, it's not pleasant at all.
Earbuds or any open-back headphones, no matter how much you like to use these, just forget to use these outdoors
yeah, I tried earbuds outside once and felt the need to raise the volume. Thankfully I managed to hold back on doing that. outside = iems, no questions about that.

Dec 7, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #50,855 of 75,272
I find earbuds outside are only for quieter listening when I'm riding a bike, podcast type things, nothing you'll wanna pump up.

Nicehck b40 have the perfect signature for even terribly recorded voices on YouTube and podcasts, no spikes, no painful "sss" sounds.
I agree. Also, you have a better awareness of the environment that surrounds you. Yes, there are some advantages

Dec 7, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #50,856 of 75,272
In the case of ShoonTH ESEP-01BL, they use a special way to tune it. One side of the rear port is sealed with hot glue and that way you hear less external noise,
which further increases the effect of the closure.

I'm kind of worried about one of the ports being sealed. I would rather have a larger soundstage/imaging than better isolation since I use earbuds in a quiet environment most of the time.

Would you happen to know how the ShoonTH compares to something like the MrZ MusicMaker Tomahawk? The reason I ask is because it seems to have much more reviews with most people saying the soundstage and imaging on it are very good, but it is from 2016 so I don't know if newer buds would have technological improvements over them and I can't find any reviews comparing recent buds to them, or compared to the ShoonTH.

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #50,857 of 75,272
I'm kind of worried about one of the ports being sealed. I would rather have a larger soundstage/imaging than better isolation since I use earbuds in a quiet environment most of the time.

Would you happen to know how the ShoonTH compares to something like the MrZ MusicMaker Tomahawk? The reason I ask is because it seems to have much more reviews with most people saying the soundstage and imaging on it are very good, but it is from 2016 so I don't know if newer buds would have technological improvements over them and I can't find any reviews comparing recent buds to them, or compared to the ShoonTH.

That's why I removed glue. Yesterday @robar discover that this driver looks exactly the same as ShoonTH ESEP-01BL. This is a better offer for 5 pairs.
With the cable (similarly braided as FAAEAL brown cable) and the shell (DP100), U can build your similar model for half the price
ShoonTH is also an old model. You can tell by the driver itself. It uses 17 holes (old-school style) on the back.

Sorry but I don't have MrZ MusicMaker Tomahawk to compare.

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #50,858 of 75,272
That's why I removed glue. Yesterday @robar discover that this driver looks exactly the same as ShoonTH ESEP-01BL. This is a better offer for 5 pairs.
With the cable (similarly braided as FAAEAL brown cable) and the shell (DP100), U can build your similar model for half the price
ShoonTH is also an old model. You can tell by the driver itself. It uses 17 holes (old-school style) on the back.

Oh ok thanks but I don't have the tools to be making mods to my earbuds and I would be afraid of breaking something that takes over a month to ship.

Dec 7, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #50,859 of 75,272
Dec 7, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #50,860 of 75,272
Oh ok thanks but I don't have the tools to be making mods to my earbuds and I would be afraid of breaking something that takes over a month to ship.
Fair enough :beerchug: Don't worry, these parts are not as delicate as they seem

Dec 7, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #50,861 of 75,272
hmm...
Can't find my last post inviting people to a virtual meet. I'm guess that's not allowed in this thread?

nevermind, found the older post.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #50,862 of 75,272
Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #50,863 of 75,272
Fair enough :beerchug: Don't worry, these parts are not as delicate as they seem

The idea of DIY earbuds is interesting to me but I don't like the idea of buying a bunch of tools for it and the shipping times are too long for me. Would you happen to know if newer earbuds have technical improvements over older ones? Or is it not really like cellphones that improve every year?

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #50,864 of 75,272
Can someone recommend a flat frequency response earbud with good imaging below $30? I was using the Sennheiser mx365 for many years until it broke. Decided to get a ve monk plus since it is raved about everywhere but found the bass too boomy and seems to ruin the imaging. I tried using Peace equalizer to reduce the bass, but the imaging seems noticeably bad to me.
I recommend to you Edifier H185 or Qian69 or NICEHCK B40.
They sound clear and not boomy.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #50,865 of 75,272

I'm not sure that those listings have the exact same model, somebody needs to try both out :) My guess is that both worse than the N50 red rim, which has similar form factor and price. And ofc 19-21 is clearly better than that :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back