Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 1, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #50,716 of 75,289
there's really only a handful that meet that requirement. Most buds have lower mid bloat. These come to mind

Nicehck me80 (discontinued)
yincrow rw-9 (rumored to be recently discontinued?)
yiincrow x6 (one of my favorites)
Y**y** bk2 (not much bass though)
Smabat s-10s (i have the blk/silver version)

**edit**
Just realized you want both bass and no lower mid bloat. X6 get's my vote.

Thanks for helping me.

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #50,717 of 75,289
Yeah, earbud foams are porous enough that it should have very little to no effect on how the earbud sounds. At least in my experience after tuning DIY earbuds.

I've been enjoying my DIY TWS buds made with a pair of X12 Pro and a 14.8mm 40Ω PU/Ti driver the last couple of days.

IMG_20201125_204741.jpg

inspired by assassin10000's DIY TWS earbuds, tried to do something similar too with a pair of Mifo O2 and vido I had lying around. So if it doesn't work, i won't miss either of them. Anyway, it took way more work to complete, and even though it does work, the payoff just isn't worth it imo. haha. While it does sound decent, and noticeably nicer than the Mifo originally was, it loses a bit of the lower mids that made the Vido enjoyable. I had to trim and reshape the earbuds shell a little, and had to use quite a bit of adhesive to secure it in place. The charging case had to be modded as well so that it would still fit (even with some foams), and I had to trim a lot of the plastic pieces away because it just wouldn't make proper contact with the charging contacts, and it took a lot of time to adjust it so that it would charge properly. So definitely wouldn't recommend using the Mifo O2 as a base. lol. But ngl, it is quite nice to have earbuds that are truly wireless. Really hope someday, some TWS maker will do something like this instead of the usual half in-ears.

oh6gwPb.jpg

W3mEcvz.png

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #50,718 of 75,289
inspired by assassin10000's DIY TWS earbuds, tried to do something similar too with a pair of Mifo O2 and vido I had lying around. So if it doesn't work, i won't miss either of them. Anyway, it took way more work to complete, and even though it does work, the payoff just isn't worth it imo. haha. While it does sound decent, and noticeably nicer than the Mifo originally was, it loses a bit of the lower mids that made the Vido enjoyable. I had to trim and reshape the earbuds shell a little, and had to use quite a bit of adhesive to secure it in place. The charging case had to be modded as well so that it would still fit (even with some foams), and I had to trim a lot of the plastic pieces away because it just wouldn't make proper contact with the charging contacts, and it took a lot of time to adjust it so that it would charge properly. So definitely wouldn't recommend using the Mifo O2 as a base. lol. But ngl, it is quite nice to have earbuds that are truly wireless. Really hope someday, some TWS maker will do something like this instead of the usual half in-ears.

oh6gwPb.jpg

W3mEcvz.png
Are you trying to dethrone the king?:wink:
Hey man, seriously, you did this very well. Even if it didn't work out, it counts that you at least tried it. :beerchug:
Post this mod on the DIY Earbuds thread

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #50,719 of 75,289

oh6gwPb.jpg

W3mEcvz.png
Good job. I love the Mifo 02 form factor but the sound quality is terrible so no loss there in using them experimentally.

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #50,720 of 75,289
Are you trying to dethrone the king?:wink:
Hey man, seriously, you did this very well. Even if it didn't work out, it counts that you at least tried it. :beerchug:
Post this mod on the DIY Earbuds thread

haha. thanks!! will do that in a bit!

Good job. I love the Mifo 02 form factor but the sound quality is terrible so no loss there in using them experimentally.

Thanks!!! Indeed. The form factor and design were great, which is why i bought them previously. but the excitement went away immediately after i started listening to them. lol. So no loss here if I mess it up.

On a slightly unrelated note, really enjoyed the previous pair of drivers i bought on shopee, so bought 2 extra pairs plus DIY cable so I can gift them to friends I know will enjoy them. sadly 1 of the driver started becoming softer a few mins into testing them and eventually just died. Not sure if i messed something up or the driver were faulty to begin with, but either way, quite happy with how the other pair turned out.

hMiKrp5.jpg

Dec 2, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #50,724 of 75,289
Hey guys you know anything analytical and cheap? Something neutral and accurate for mixing purposes and whatnot. My budget is below 5 usd. Idk if there even is such an earbud, so if it doesnt then its fine

I would say BK2, but that's about $20 USD. Below 5 bucks the good stuff is like Vidos, KBEAR Stellar, but most of them are not neutral and are slightly coloured. Even BK2 has some boost in the upper mids area. Perhaps if you can EQ to make the earbud more flat, then that's an option. U can ask the other esteemed members here who have some EQ profiles and equipment for their advise.

Though personally I wouldn't use earbuds for mixing as most of them have subbass roll off so you may not be getting an accurate picture of the bass, plus the earbuds lack isolation. Might be better to use headphones for mixing purposes, but YMMV of course.

Dec 2, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #50,725 of 75,289
Hey guys you know anything analytical and cheap? Something neutral and accurate for mixing purposes and whatnot. My budget is below 5 usd. Idk if there even is such an earbud, so if it doesnt then its fine

in a pinch, i prefer to use IEMs to mix than earbuds. the cheapest "neutral" sounding earbuds that i can think of would be the PT15, but that's still a little above $10 usd.

if $5 is the limit, might as well get the vido and EQ them like @baskingshark suggested

Dec 2, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #50,727 of 75,289
Would you still recommend the Viridis if my main genres are rock, rap and electronic music?
probably not. Rock is fine not bad or good, rap is pretty decent with its clean and fast sound. But electronic music will lack bass quantity.

I recommend the Yincrow X6 for your genres if you want an earbud.

Dec 2, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #50,728 of 75,289
probably not. Rock is fine not bad or good, rap is pretty decent with its clean and fast sound. But electronic music will lack bass quantity.

I recommend the Yincrow X6 for your genres if you want an earbud.
Thanks for this. I already have the rw9. Should I still buy the X6? Are their sound signatures that different to warrant the purchase?

Dec 2, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #50,729 of 75,289
Thanks for this. I already have the rw9. Should I still buy the X6? Are their sound signatures that different to warrant the purchase?
No idea, I myself will be getting my RW-9 soon so I will be able to finally find out what the differences are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back