Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 29, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #50,686 of 75,131
Yeah. Your style rear vent makes (to me) an overly warm muddy sound signature. But that could just be the drivers I tried it with didn't pair well with that kind of rear air flow.

Or you know, just our personal preferences differ. :)

Give that the vent is aligned with the mmcx, the vent sits at the intertragic notch when worn down and probably exposed enough to work properly. They use the same spot on many of their buds. If it was on the left or right I'd be worried.
Yes, this rear vent, generally serves more to regulate the pressure from the back wave, so the diameter is quite important. On the MX500 shell, we have a rear vent at the point where the cables pass so that the cables themselves regulate the diameter. On DIY metal shells, we usually have a vent on the back that is covered with metal mesh from outside but from inside I also place some foam and punch a hole (starts with a small diameter). It all depends on the driver itself as you noticed. For some drivers works well and for some not (150ohm red film for example)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #50,687 of 75,131
11370124_thumb.jpg

I've been enjoying my DIY TWS buds made with a pair of X12 Pro and a 14.8mm 40Ω PU/Ti driver the last couple of days.

The best DIY project ie functional prototype this year :beerchug:
This is my earlier comment about these gems :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #50,688 of 75,131
In the context of earbuds, probably the KSC75. I disagree when I'm comparing that to the 2019 NiceHCK MX500, but both are great value for money.

My Yincrow X6 is due early next week, so I'll be sure to compare to my KSC75X.
I've had the KSC75's (on parts express headband) for years, and they are definitely classics (although personally I prefer the portapro/sportapro drivers on parts express headband for a little more bass).

I've had the 2019 NiceHCK MX500's for a week, and they are definitely awesome as well! I'm really happy with how they sound.

So yes, both are awesome value for the money :)
Yincrow X6 are here, and they are shaping up to be excellent value as well.

Sans foams, bass is clean but lacks a little authority and the lower mids feel sucked out. Highs are clean and the lower treble and upper mids are balanced.
Donut foams fixes the bass and lower mids, but the contrast between the upper mids and the lower treble makes upper register vocals sound very hot to the point of piercing.
Full foams offers the best balance, at the expense of a tiny bit of mid detail.

Comparative to the MX500, the MX500 are great with donut foams while only touching the edge of sibilance via the same mechanisms, and are outright euphoric without foams if you're listening to something almost entirely devoid of anything below 100Hz. Full foams dampen the soundstage and bring the lower mids forward a bit more. As has been identified before, the X6 brings the bass, and eats into the detail level a touch with the highs and mids. Both are great, and both have their place, with the X6 being more versatile.

Compared to the KSC75s, the X6 offers better bass compared to the standard KSC75 fitment, and weaker treble extension. The X6 wins on bass clarity, but loses on mid clarity and treble clarity, but the KSC75s accomplish this with more sibilance and perhaps too much of a bite on vocals due to the presence/lower treble boosts. Pressing the KSC75 closer to represent a headband fit, the bass hump and lack of clarity becomes more apparent and the soundstage narrows a tad, but the mids and highs remain clear.

Frankly, all three are great, and you can't go wrong with any of them, but I would describe the two earbuds as being more fun for more genres of music. The KSC75 when it hits its stride though, you really can enjoy the tuning without caring about and blass bloat or detail issues: it's quite euphoric.

I think most people would enjoy swapping between the X6 and MX500, and that the two basically have the KSC75 covered at the same price, with the MX500 reaching further than the KSC75 in most of what its signature does minus a presence boost, and the Yincrow X6 beating it in the genres where the KSC75 tonality and technicalities fall behind.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #50,689 of 75,131
My HA-2 sat in my graveyard of battery dac/amps for about a year. I finally sourced a battery and now it's up and running for my journey into high impedance earbuds.

Today's setup will be between the rw-9 and another piece of equipment I shook the dust off of -- beoplay h6 1st gen headphones.

20201130_103318.jpg

Happy listening!

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #50,690 of 75,131
My HA-2 sat in my graveyard of battery dac/amps for about a year. I finally sourced a battery and now it's up and running for my journey into high impedance earbuds.

Today's setup will be between the rw-9 and another piece of equipment I shook the dust off of -- beoplay h6 1st gen headphones.

20201130_103318.jpg

Happy listening!
I always liked the classy look of Oppo. A real DAC/AMP gem.
BTW ... I'm in a similar mood today... but with SMSL IQ (balanced mode) and DIY 130ohm Beryllium sparky :beerchug:
smsliq.jpg

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #50,691 of 75,131
Nov 30, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #50,692 of 75,131
Nov 30, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #50,693 of 75,131
damn... temptation dangling in front of my face with your link.
hahah, you already got tons of buds though. Maybe save up to replace your stolen A7 again.

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #50,694 of 75,131
hahah, you already got tons of buds though. Maybe save up to replace your stolen A7 again.
argh. ok. you're right. Nice line in the review by the way, "The Viridis is very similar to the ME80 and I would say it is the upgrade to it with better quality across the entire spectrum." Excellent and comprehensive review, as always.

ME80 fans, time to save up and get the Viridis.

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #50,695 of 75,131
argh. ok. you're right. Nice line in the review by the way, "The Viridis is very similar to the ME80 and I would say it is the upgrade to it with better quality across the entire spectrum." Excellent and comprehensive review, as always.

ME80 fans, time to save up and get the Viridis.
What a coincidence that the ME80 is discontinued right? :wink:

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #50,696 of 75,131
how are polls posted in here? I'm guessing only moderators can do so?

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #50,697 of 75,131
Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #50,698 of 75,131
Nov 30, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #50,699 of 75,131
I want to find\buy\have\own DQSM Turandot and have ABnormal Diomnes LV2 and shozy SG for trade or sale (not desirable...last experiments and quit). PM who is interested))

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back