Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 8, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #50,221 of 75,470
What a beautiful set!
Did you get any sound improvement?

Would you mind sharing links to such cables if they are from AE?
Beautiful 4-core cable. It's ideal for buds. Another chip and very good cable for IEM and buds (6core) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33001822584.html
I really regret not taking a couple of pieces, but because of the prices I thought it was below average :sob:
Your cable is quite reminiscent of these two pairs
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000097502378.html (good discount)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000297658368.html
This is a good wire for DIY https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32612774761.html
I have a 4-core version which I used for balanced cable.

The wire was $45 from Chitty's Store, but their price has gone up to $68.87 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000248433914.html
Yuming Store has it for $47.41 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32947805095.html

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #50,222 of 75,470
Any earbuds not meant to be used with foams? So far a quick search has lead to the Headroom MS16 and that's pretty much it. VE Zen is way out of my price bracket.

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #50,223 of 75,470
Any earbuds not meant to be used with foams? So far a quick search has lead to the Headroom MS16 and that's pretty much it. VE Zen is way out of my price bracket.

Some earbuds like the SMABATs can be used with silicone covers (I find the silicone covers make the sound less warm/bassy), YMMV.
I know some friends also use earbuds without any covers or foams, just the earpiece it self.

Nov 8, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #50,224 of 75,470
Nov 8, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #50,225 of 75,470
MS16 indeed, and I believe you can expect all models that share the same designe to perform very well (if not best) without foams. I got the openheart recently and they are definitly meant to be used this way. (By the way they are cheap, well built and sound good. Not sure if I'd recommend them over the MS16 yet but worth mentioning)

Nov 8, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #50,226 of 75,470
That graph looks like you're off to a good start. My early graphs were pretty horrid. In fact, I prob should go back and remove them. :)

If you haven't already done so, be sure to at least calibrate your sound card and, if possible, your mic.
Aha, you should keep them available for documentation sake.

Soundcard calibration done, but I have no reference to calibrate my mic. It has a pretty obvious bass roll off but hard to quantify actually :/
The rig is getting better though, I found the capsule I wired was in fact cardioid, and proximity effect was responsible for the bass elevation. An omni insted and it's gone!

Nov 9, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #50,227 of 75,470
For version 1.5 target curve, I'll be generating 2 versions -- a bass edition and a more lean/neutral profile. I have yet to plot out the neutral version.

Graphs and files for the Fiio EM5 are here. @cenizas let me know what you think!

Nov 9, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #50,228 of 75,470
v.1.5 for the K's Nameless here.

For those of you who have used my compensation files before, can you test this out and let me know what you think? My Nameless was in my backpack that was stolen. :frowning2:
So I haven't tested this out yet. I have another incoming. I'll generate a neutral version of v1.5 if someone wants to try that version out.

Nov 9, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #50,229 of 75,470
@Sam L tried 1.4 made for me80. Liked it a lot. First, I was surprised bass gets a reduction since me80 is not bassy to begin with. But it was enjoyable to listen to soft rock/ jazz late at night when I'm bass-sensitive.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #50,230 of 75,470
@Sam L tried 1.4 made for me80. Liked it a lot. First, I was surprised bass gets a reduction since me80 is not bassy to begin with. But it was enjoyable to listen to soft rock/ jazz late at night when I'm bass-sensitive.
Good to hear that it was positive for you. 1.4 was more focused on tweaking upper mids and treble. You're right in that it seems counterintuitive to lower bass on the me80, particularly because it's not a bass heavy earbud. However, the upper mids are recessed a bit in the stock tuning, so in raising that up, the overall sound profile ends up not being as bass enemic as the compensation file might suggest.

**edit**
to clarify, with the me80's there is good earbud pinna gain from 1k to 3k by +2db, close to my +3dB ideal for buds, but the subsequent 4k notch is the area I consider overly recessed. I also corrected for a huge notch at 9k.

For those that follow my buds target curve experiments, I'm finding that the 10k region should be around -3db from 1k. In the iem world, Tyll (innerfidelity fame, now retired) historically describes 10k as being matched with 1k as a rule of thumb of sorts. I'm finding that with earbuds overall the FR graph translates to much more energy when compared with IEM graphs. This is one of the reasons why I use a much less aggressive pinna gain, as well as introducing the peak earlier at 2k.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #50,231 of 75,470
version 1.5 for the Nicehck ME80 is up.

here

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #50,232 of 75,470
One more interesting observation with 1.4 and the me80, as another user noted, the sound stage becomes noticeably expansive to my ears, which was a pleasant surprise since the me80 is already so well tuned. Sad to see it discontinued. :frowning2:

Nov 9, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #50,233 of 75,470
ok, one more:

Version 1.5 bass edition for the Nicehck b40 here.

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #50,234 of 75,470
One more interesting observation with 1.4 and the me80, as another user noted, the sound stage becomes noticeably expansive to my ears, which was a pleasant surprise since the me80 is already so well tuned. Sad to see it discontinued. :frowning2:
You are a very busy man, keep up the good work.:thumbsup: This is a really interesting topic even for people that not use EQ.
Any effort to improve the sound whether it is through modding or with EQ should be appreciated, as we appreciate this hobby.
Modification can eliminate some omissions in order to enable the driver to function in the best possible conditions, which of course affects the improvement of the sound,
while EQ represents the final touch ie. "cherry on top" :cherries:
I will like to see in the future your EQ mastery for some buds like FAAEAL Datura Pro, BGVP DX5, HE150PRO, Tingo TG-38, RY4S Plus

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #50,235 of 75,470
You are a very busy man, keep up the good work.:thumbsup: This is a really interesting topic even for people that not use EQ.
Any effort to improve the sound whether it is through modding or with EQ should be appreciated, as we appreciate this hobby.
Modification can eliminate some omissions in order to enable the driver to function in the best possible conditions, which of course affects the improvement of the sound,
while EQ represents the final touch ie. "cherry on top" :cherries:
I will like to see in the future your EQ mastery for some buds like FAAEAL Datura Pro, BGVP DX5, HE150PRO, Tingo TG-38, RY4S Plus
I have a bunch of those, I'll send Sam the measurements when I'm free and I'm sure he'll be happy to generate the eq files for those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back