Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 3, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #50,131 of 75,273
I have the 1st one (Graphene) and I don't recommend. No bass, thin sound. It's also the champion earbud for sound leakeage - incredible.
It's called the 'Old Graphene' earbud. It's like 3 years old. EMX500, Vido, RY4X, RY4S eats it for breakfast.
Probably is not well-tuned. Vido, EMX500 is older models, also some old-school drivers sound very good.

Nov 3, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #50,132 of 75,273
I'm eyeing this one, looks like their latest model.
Graphene, mmcx, high impedance.

Doesn't look like it's going to be on sale though.

These are the prices of 400ohm driver (20-30$). For the wood shell with mmcx. (~10$), and 4-core mmcx cable (8-10$).
So the price of assembled earphones, in this case for the 400ohm driver is not so bad. For 600ohm beryllium is a different story.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #50,133 of 75,273
@furyossa

but....

what improvements a graphene driver with high impedance would bring to the table? Better low and high extensions? Faster bass response? Are they better than berillyum ones?
With high impedance you can get cleaner sound, lower distortion, and can benefit from the balanced output. Also not harsh sound when you increase volume level.
400ohm is easier to drive than 600ohm. Both drivers are different in terms of sound signature, graphene has more balanced sound, beryllium has authoritative bass and smoother treble. The only thing they have in common is that both drivers are really good and the price is completely correct

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #50,134 of 75,273
With high impedance you can get cleaner sound, lower distortion, and can benefit from the balanced output. Also not harsh sound when you increase volume level.
400ohm is easier to drive than 600ohm. Both drivers are different in terms of sound signature, graphene has more balanced sound, beryllium has authoritative bass and smoother treble. The only thing they have in common is that both drivers are really good and the price is completely correct

Thank you!
I will try to order both a graphene and a beryllium based earbuds during this 11.11.

Would you suggest a good budge beryllium earbuds?

Nov 3, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #50,136 of 75,273
There is a budget 32 ohm beryllium earbud, available in MX500 and wooden shell.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001589119116.html

No idea if it is any good though.
I already posted that link in the list above. Based on @BrunoC 's comments sometimes it happens that the earphones assembled from DIY parts by the seller himself can
be a risky choice. There is no quality control, which is in a way understandable given the low price. On the other hand, we also have cases where more expensive parts are used, so the price is higher, which does not mean that quality control has been performed.
My suggestion is for those who want to try these so-called "exotic" DIY drivers to buy these separately. In the package, you will get also pair of tuning foams and MX500 or PK shell. The only thing that you need is a cable which you can buy in the same store or some other place. There are several such shops on Ali, where the price for these parts can vary. NSC Audio Store is a reliable store and has a very diverse range of DIY parts.
This way you can save money and at the same time avoid the previous problem with bad tuning. :beerchug:

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #50,137 of 75,273
I already have a pair that looks similar. My earphones use a driver made by Foster Electric and I think it uses a fiber biological diaphragm.
I'm a bit more interested in high-impedance models. Model from 3rd link above use 400ohm graphene driver which is IMHO one of the best DIY drivers out there.
I use the same driver in combination with the metal shell. Wood will add a bit more warmth to the overall sound.
My current favorite from the list above is the model #6. Maybe I'll order it on 11.11.
These are the prices of 400ohm driver (20-30$). For the wood shell with mmcx. (~10$), and 4-core mmcx cable (8-10$).
So the price of assembled earphones, in this case for the 400ohm driver is not so bad. For 600ohm beryllium is a different story.

Back in April of last year, I made this post about assembling a set of earbuds, using 400-Ω Graphene drivers -
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-14924894
They sound good, although the cable I used has turned a bit green where it wraps around my ears (I wear pretty much all of my earphones & earbuds with the cables over the ear).

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #50,138 of 75,273
Back in April of last year, I made this post about assembling a set of earbuds, using 400-Ω Graphene drivers -
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/post-14924894
They sound good, although the cable I used has turned a bit green where it wraps around my ears (I wear pretty much all of my earphones & earbuds with the cables over the ear).
Yup. I remember that post. Same here, Over-ear is the way to go :sunglasses:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-earbuds.822327/post-15463161
They sound very good. that's why I called them "Hellboy" :smiling_imp:
I can drive them easily on LG G7, while beryllium (600ohm) requires a little more juice :cloud_lightning:

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #50,139 of 75,273
Currently working on making a measurment set up (hardware stores are closed because of quarantine hence it's a lot of impro). I ambition to simulate outer ear in addition to ear canal (well simulate is a grand word I'm doing it for fun more than anything else). This is what I have for the moment with my TY32Ohm :
TY32_1st.jpg

It matches what I drew auditioning frequency sweeps pretty closely from 1k. But the the low are just so off. There is no tight seal involved so no clue why it's that elevated. My audio interface is responsible for the roll off below 60hz (it's very well extended in reality).

Auto-eqing from such measurments is off the table obviously. I'm much more confident in building EQ using my own ears and frequency sweeps. At this point measuring seems like gambling to me. I'll have to get way more serious if I want things worth sharing.

Nov 3, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #50,141 of 75,273
Any recommendations for wireless or TWS earbuds? Difficult thing to search for without drowning in in-ear options.
TWS earbuds? I never saw a better solution than this :wink:

Nov 3, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #50,143 of 75,273
Any recommendations for wireless or TWS earbuds? Difficult thing to search for without drowning in in-ear options.

Some MMCX earbuds can be used with TWS type adapters.

20190707_105032.jpg
20190423_005750.jpg

As far as actual TWS that are earbud style, the only ones I can think to recommend are the Sabbat X12 Ultra (better than the older X12 Pro) or the Samsung Buds Live.

IMG_20200820_234328.jpg

IMG_20200824_043701.jpg
IMG_20200824_043742.jpg

The Buds Live may sound a bit thinner and lack warmth compared to many earbuds though. Ymmv.

Oh crap. Then can I do this to any earbud that you wear over-the-ear and also have the mmxc connectors? Or do I need ones with the 2pin?

Your choice. Either can work.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #50,144 of 75,273
@furyossa, @DBaldock9

Impressive DIY work you both did!
Your buds are indeed impressive.

DBaldock9, it seems your buds ended up being a little bit expensive.
Are they worth it?

A questions for both, please...
Are the PK (diy also) buds too behind the high impedance graphene drivers in terms of bass and sub bass, treble extension and overall clarity?

Nov 3, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #50,145 of 75,273
Uh...I hope no one will ask: And what about ANC?:deadhorse:
This is my current choice. The very impressive driver they pack in it and app is also a cool addition
Liberty-Air-2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back