Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 4, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #49,621 of 75,273
I just got this buds from Indy company in Thailand.

Neo soul sacrifice from Neosound

Sound brilliant to me for the price (Around 30$) and with mmcx slot too.

I'm not a audiophile so I cant describe sound quality in precise details but

This for me sound a lot better than my Monk Makka,emx500,Pk2

Sweet full mid / Smooth bass / kinda warm

120510920_3691233587593878_1743354916267035869_o.jpg

Oct 5, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #49,622 of 75,273
20201003_185625.jpg

Cable do make difference in this MMCX Earbud...
But there some dispute of bottleneck if using MMCX here locally...

for all Demo, my ear was impress by this local mod, Suwung, using Wood case... the sound was actually Bright, very extend Airy, impressive Soundstage, yet the Vocal felt warm...
must used without Any Foam...
20201003_190816.jpg
in frame : Suwung MMCX wood case, cable 173 CEMA, and DX228EX...

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #49,623 of 75,273
Maybe i choosed wrong thread, but i need some advice in earbuds choosing. I had Sennheiser cx 100 before and it was fantastic! It's broken now (i used warranty and changet it once. After that i fixed it a couple of times, but we have a cat, so... R.I.P.).

I was thinking to get another Sennheiser, but after that i thought that maybe exist other good earbuds producers. So i went to the Google and started to search. And i was confused about how many earbuds on the markets. I found a couple of articles about it
https://www.techradar.com/news/audio/best-in-ear-headphones-1276925
https://www.bestadvisor.com/earbuds
BUT i still don't know which one to choose.
ALice

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #49,624 of 75,273
Maybe i choosed wrong thread, but i need some advice in earbuds choosing. I had Sennheiser cx 100 before and it was fantastic! It's broken now (i used warranty and changet it once. After that i fixed it a couple of times, but we have a cat, so... R.I.P.).

I was thinking to get another Sennheiser, but after that i thought that maybe exist other good earbuds producers. So i went to the Google and started to search. And i was confused about how many earbuds on the markets. I found a couple of articles about it
https://www.techradar.com/news/audio/best-in-ear-headphones-1276925
https://www.bestadvisor.com/earbuds
BUT i still don't know which one to choose.
ALice

Perhaps u can answer the following queries so the community can advise better:
1) What are your preferred music genres?
2) What is your preferred sound signature? V shaped, midcentric, neutralish, treblehead/treble sensitive, basshead/bass averse?
3) What's your budget?
4) Do u know what source are u using to drive the earbuds? Ie low powered smartphone, or u have an amp?

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #49,626 of 75,273
hello,
I really don't anything about earbud,
is there a Blon BL03 equivalent in earbud world?

Oct 5, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #49,628 of 75,273
hello,
I really don't anything about earbud,
is there a Blon BL03 equivalent in earbud world?

The BLON BL-03 can be worn like a earbud actually. Just cut the stock cable's plastic cable guides or use a cable without earhooks, swap the left and right earpieces and wear it cable down. That's how I use the BLON BL-03 actually, better fit for me than overears.

As for an "equivalent BLON BL-03", are u asking about a similar sound profile (Harmanish with midbass bump)? Or something that has good price to performance ratio that has good timbre/tonality?

What are the main benefits of using earbud over iem?

Pros of earbuds:
- Earbuds bring better soundstage to the table compared to IEMs.
- They are sort of a compromise from headphones, without the clamp or heat in summer.
- I also prefer earbuds sometimes when having ear infections or abrasions in the ear canal from too long IEM usage.
- Generally good timbre.
- Relatively cheaper than IEMs: $10 - 20ish can get u some pretty good sound for earbuds nowadays. Maybe $50 - 100 can get u a midfi earbud, and TOTL earbuds probably can be obtained at the $200 - 300 mark.

Cons of earbuds:
- Generally have poorer subbass extension/quantity compared to IEMs due to lack of seal. So bassheads have to look elsewhere. There are some earbuds like SMABAT ST10S Black Gold and SMABAT ST10 that have good subbass extension, but those are rare.
- No isolation -> so not the best option to be used outside as one might jack up the volume to compensate for poor isolation, which is not safe for hearing health. People may be able to hear what you are playing too as such. Isolation may not be wanted in some cases though, I know friends who purposely want to use earbuds outside for safety reasons.
- Some also have quite high impedance and do need amping to shine.
- Fit of earbuds may be an issue for some. Thankfully, they come in various shapes and sizes, so see what fits you: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3207#post-15645387

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #49,629 of 75,273
The BLON BL-03 can be worn like a earbud actually. Just cut the stock cable's plastic cable guides or use a cable without earhooks, swap the left and right earpieces and wear it cable down. That's how I use the BLON BL-03 actually, better fit for me than overears.

As for an "equivalent BLON BL-03", are u asking about a similar sound profile (Harmanish with midbass bump)? Or something that has good price to performance ratio that has good timbre/tonality?

Pros of earbuds:
- Earbuds bring better soundstage to the table compared to IEMs.
- They are sort of a compromise from headphones, without the clamp or heat in summer.
- I also prefer earbuds sometimes when having ear infections or abrasions in the ear canal from too long IEM usage.
- Generally good timbre.
- Relatively cheaper than IEMs: $10 - 20ish can get u some pretty good sound for earbuds nowadays. Maybe $50 - 100 can get u a midfi earbud, and TOTL earbuds probably can be obtained at the $200 - 300 mark.

Cons of earbuds:
- Generally have poorer subbass extension/quantity compared to IEMs due to lack of seal. So bassheads have to look elsewhere. There are some earbuds like SMABAT ST10S Black Gold and SMABAT ST10 that have good subbass extension, but those are rare.
- No isolation -> so not the best option to be used outside as one might jack up the volume to compensate for poor isolation, which is not safe for hearing health. People may be able to hear what you are playing too as such. Isolation may not be wanted in some cases though, I know friends who purposely want to use earbuds outside for safety reasons.
- Some also have quite high impedance and do need amping to shine.
- Fit of earbuds may be an issue for some. Thankfully, they come in various shapes and sizes, so see what fits you: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3207#post-15645387
Thank you very great pros and cons ^^

btw totl earbud 200 usd to 300 usd will be generally better or worse sounding than iem?

I’m thinking in this price range maybe blessing 2 if iem?

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #49,630 of 75,273

btw totl earbud 200 usd to 300 usd will be generally better or worse sounding than iem?

Personally I think earbuds and IEMs are very different beasts, they bring different benefits to the table. Earbuds are actually closer to open back headphones than IEMs. So kinda apples to oranges comparison to compare IEMs against earbuds.

FWIW, the most expensive earbud that I bought is the SMABAT ST10S Black Gold (slightly more than $100 USD), even with amping (it is quite power hungry), I don't think it can compete with some midfi CHIFI IEMs in terms of details (it isn't surprising since the IEM goes nearer the ear than earbuds). But the earbuds beat most of these IEMs in soundstage.

I haven't tried Blessing 2 so can't advise. Maybe we can get the advise of @RikudouGoku , he has Blessing 2 IEM and some TOTL earbuds.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #49,631 of 75,273
Personally I think earbuds and IEMs are very different beasts, they bring different benefits to the table. Earbuds are actually closer to open back headphones than IEMs. So kinda apples to oranges comparison to compare IEMs against earbuds.

FWIW, the most expensive earbud that I bought is the SMABAT ST10S Black Gold (slightly more than $100 USD), even with amping (it is quite power hungry), I don't think it can compete with some midfi CHIFI IEMs in terms of details (it isn't surprising since the IEM goes nearer the ear than earbuds). But the earbuds beat most of these IEMs in soundstage.

I haven't tried Blessing 2 so can't advise. Maybe we can get the advise of @RikudouGoku , he has Blessing 2 IEM and some TOTL earbuds.
Thanks

I have been researching a lot about iem vs full size open back sound quality.
Do you think the for the ultimate sound quality does totl iem win or full size open back win? Full size definitely sound stage but for overall best sound quality what would you choose :)

thanks

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #49,632 of 75,273

I dont think the Blessing 2 is that good for an iem that is 300 usd, in that price range you got stuff like the Tanchjim Oxygen, LZ A7/A6 and even the Fiio FH3 that is extremely good.

I only have experience with the DQSM Turandot and that is a dissapointment and I really hope the other buds at that price range is better.

Generally speaking I would say that buds are better than iems in these factors:
Soundstage
Timbre
Tonality
Vocals
Airy but non-fatiguing treble
Value

While iems have these pros over buds:
Detail
Instrument separation
Imaging
Bass quantity/quality
Isolation

So "better" or "worse" is up to you in what you value the most.

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #49,634 of 75,273
The main benefit of earbuds for me is a wide soundstage with ambient sound.
I completely agree with you. Ear bud feels very airy :)

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #49,635 of 75,273

Different sounding, with worse technicalities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back