Earbuds Round-Up
May 27, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #4,892 of 75,341
RSA Shadow is another option. The sound quality of the two running off an iPod nano is actually quite impressive.

yes the rsa shadow is classic though but what amps are to enhance the organic mids of monks? thanks in advance!
tongue.gif

May 27, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #4,894 of 75,341
Alright guys, so after 200 Hours of burn in on both the Cygnus and SeaHF 320Ohms V1, here are my personal impression of these buds.

Foams used on both buds are Monk+ "thin" full foams
Amp is OAK Audio PHA, LG for Cygnus, HG for SeaHF
Xduoo X3 RB LO -20dB

Results:

Cygnus
-Overall a "leaner" and "clearer" sounding earbud
-Sparkly highs (non-fatiguing)
-Mids are clean and clear
-Bass note's are not thick (but both attack and decay are quick)
-Slightly larger soundstage
-Same depth as the SeaHF 320Ohms V1
-Focus more on mid to upper ranges 
-Analytical sounding

SeaHF 320Ohms V1 (Custom tuned for “听感" or "listening feel")
-Overall a "fuller" sounding earbud
-Bass rumble (presence) 
-Bass is not as quick as Cygnus (attack and decay are both slower)
-Somewhat grainy mids 
-Soundstage width is narrower than the Cygnus
-Soundstage depth is the same
-Focus more towards lower to mid frequencies
-Laid back, dark sounding

If I were to summarize:

SeaHF 320 Ohms V1 give me the impression of listening to live music in a small and cozy jazz bar while sipping on your cup of whiskey on rocks.
Cygus gives me the image of listening to music with a pair of IEM's, very clean and lost of micro details) Of course, it can still recreate the ambiance of a song, but not as much as the 320Ohms (depending on your music genre).

SeaHF  = Vocals (Jazz, Bossa)
Cygnus = Pop Songs (Quicker tempo)  

Still having mentioned all that, I would still use the Cygnus for Jazz or Bossa.

Feel free to disagree with my impression please! I would like to know what do you guys think about the above mentioned earbuds, so I can better improve my description. 

*All the above stated are my personal opinions, and as always YMMV.

Thanks~!

May 27, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #4,896 of 75,341

I prefer strips of velcro hahaha

Or better yet, magnets!

Link below for anyone interested:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/9PCS-lot-New-Arrival-Silicone-Magnet-coil-earphone-cable-winder-headset-type-bobbin-winder-hubs-cord/32649645454.html

May 27, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #4,901 of 75,341
  I been looking at the earbuds listed in the first post and most are not available for purchase anymore. Is there an updated list? New models that worth getting? 

That's is already the most updated list - old / discontinued models won't be removed from the list because they are relevant for comparison.

May 27, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #4,902 of 75,341
  Any good? Worth getting as a step up from Monk?

I like the e100 a lot, it`s V-shaped with a lot of clarity and detail. There`s a lot of texture to the sound and bass extension is top for an earbud. It`s hard to say whether it`s better than the Monk+, the Monk+ without foams is a bit more balanced at the cost of extension but a lot darker with covers. If you like a slightly brighter sound with a deep bass response and will benefit from having a remote, the e100a is worth a look, if you want a more balanced/relaxing sound then the Monk+ is hard to beat. Given how cheap they are, you could buy both really. It would give you a taste of two very different kinds of sound signatures, and you can decide where to go from there. 

Have a look at my reviews below for more details, the EM3 is also worth a look in this price range.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/venture-electronics-ve-monk-monk-plus/reviews/15932
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-em3-open-earbud-earphones-with-in-line-microphone-black/reviews/15560

May 27, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #4,904 of 75,341

I like the e100 a lot, it`s V-shaped with a lot of clarity and detail. There`s a lot of texture to the sound and bass extension is top for an earbud. It`s hard to say whether it`s better than the Monk+, the Monk+ without foams is a bit more balanced at the cost of extension but a lot darker with covers. If you like a slightly brighter sound with a deep bass response and will benefit from having a remote, the e100a is worth a look, if you want a more balanced/relaxing sound then the Monk+ is hard to beat. Given how cheap they are, you could buy both really. It would give you a taste of two very different kinds of sound signatures, and you can decide where to go from there. 

Have a look at my reviews below for more details, the EM3 is also worth a look in this price range.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/venture-electronics-ve-monk-monk-plus/reviews/15932
http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-em3-open-earbud-earphones-with-in-line-microphone-black/reviews/15560

Got it. Thank you for the info. I want a big step up from Monk. I like Monk, but they sound a little undetailed to me... I want something that would be detailed as Shure and dark(er) as Monk... Not sure where to go... 

May 27, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #4,905 of 75,341
  Got it. Thank you for the info. I want a big step up from Monk. I like Monk, but they sound a little undetailed to me... I want something that would be detailed as Shure and dark(er) as Monk... Not sure where to go... 

Definitely have a look at the Baldoor E100 or MRZ Tomahawk then, they are both, slightly brighter earphones with more emphasis on clarity and detail. The Tomahawk in particular is more mid-forward similar to Shure`s house sound, but they are more expensive. The Monk+ were smoother and more laid-back to my ears, it will suit some, but you really need to know what you want with audio, especially earbuds that can`t be tried in stores, etc. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back