Earbuds Round-Up
May 26, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #4,876 of 75,146
can anyone recommend me whats next after ve monk/monk+? was introduced into earbuds bc of ve hehe

May 26, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #4,878 of 75,146
In hindsight I would go for the Zen 2.0/RA 2.0 combo right away, and skip the previous ones I bought.

The Music Maker buds don't fit my ears, and I don't like the sound signature of the Tomahawk. But if the shape of your ears work well with the Music Maker buds, you could give the bright sounding Ting a chance. I mean the original red full metal Ting. I have no experience with the green cable Ting or that new Ting that was introduced recently.

Or else if you want something that is as a noticeable step up from the Monks but don't want to use an external amp like with the Zen 2.0, I'd go for the Cyngus. The VE buds as well as the Cyngus fit my ears perfectly.

Currently I'm only using the Cyngus straight from the Iphone 6s and the Zen/RA combo with the FiiO X3ii

May 26, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #4,881 of 75,146
I started to read this thread little by little and finally finished it tonight.

First of all, thanks to all the contributors who post here. Really give me good insight of earbud world. Right now I'm a believer of earbud and their qualities. I started in deep in audio world about a year ago and discover lots of choices and own some of them. Found a lot of good recordings and rediscovering new heights in my music collections.

Though I love iem I realized to get a very spacious and great timbre sound there's no shortcut unless it's open design. And earbud offers fine compromise in price, SQ and comfort. Coming from the 80's and 90's where the buds are common and I do own many before, I have no idea they can sound this good.

Head fi community and this thread made me realize that. I haven't listened to my superlux at all since monk+ arrived simply because the little earbud destroy them in SQ and soundstage. Heck I even cancel my wishlist to get soundmagic hp200 (priced twice the Cygnus in my country. audition them couple of time, but again monk+ really close in sound refinement and price ratio is a plus ;D). And monk is not even in the top line in Clieos list.

And now I'm waiting to get my tomahawk and can't wait to test em. Even today I ordered more monk for my friends, whom all stunned by its SQ (some own top iem and some doesn't even own any iem at all to begin with except the one that come with their smartphone).

Long live earbud!!

May 26, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #4,882 of 75,146
fairx - well said!   It reminds us of what great resource headfi can be...I had a slightly similar path myself - tried earbuds years ago, and felt they were just a cheap substitute for the 'real thing' ...tried iems, but could never get comfortable with the fit...tried my share of headphones...but due mainly to this thread ultimately have revisited earbuds and been converted. I have been making do with an E100 and edifier 185...but they have already persuaded me how good, and convenient earbuds can be (and how much better than I remember my previously tried Yuin's, maybe its my brain playing tricks on me). Of course, it turns out to be expensive (ordered 5 earbuds through aliexpress, mainly ones recommended in this thread), and you have to be patient (shipping from aliexpress takes longer than I am used to)...but I am sold.  So...thanks from me also to all those contributing on this thread - a quick check on google confirms that, outside of headfi, there appear to be relatively few sources for real life, up to date experience of the different models being developed, especially those from China.

May 26, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #4,884 of 75,146
May 27, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #4,885 of 75,146
@fairx nice to have you here in club earbuds, bud!

i expect to see a lot more people coming back to them soon. IEMs are great but the isolation & fit issues are different for all people. I only own a couple IEMs but since the Monk made me realize great things could be done with earbuds, and the asian resurgence of interest in earbuds, it's a great time to get into earbuds IMO. Seeing more quality stuff come out constantly it's hard to keep up even if you make a point to try most good buds.

May 27, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #4,886 of 75,146
  @fairx nice to have you here in club earbuds, bud!

i expect to see a lot more people coming back to them soon. IEMs are great but the isolation & fit issues are different for all people. I only own a couple IEMs but since the Monk made me realize great things could be done with earbuds, and the asian resurgence of interest in earbuds, it's a great time to get into earbuds IMO. Seeing more quality stuff come out constantly it's hard to keep up even if you make a point to try most good buds.

in this regards we're lucky to have more participants, since I'm obviously can't afford to try all of them, insight from others has been very helpful!

May 27, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #4,890 of 75,146
  those of you using Zen/RA 2.0 combo, what other amps if any do you have? just curious what they compare to really

big Cayin C5 fan here :p

im thinking if i should acquire a c5 to pair with monk +. whats your take?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back