Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 23, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #48,796 of 75,297
@Danneq C Major double drivers earbuds by @ClieOS have 23,2 Ohm
FB_IMG_1598235291137.jpg

Aug 24, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #48,797 of 75,297
Hey y'all, I'm looking for a really good pair of earbuds, don't want to be on the endless chase. Looking to spend up to $150, however would go higher if it's really worth it. Does anyone have suggestions? I was looking at the ME80 and KS LB which were both mentioned recently in the thread, they're obviously fairly cheap, but how good are they really? I've also heard that the Rose Maria are TOTL, but I haven't seen any reviews on them so I'm not sure what I'd be getting (they're quite pricy). I'm a bit a of a bass head, for example, I have a pair of ISN H40 which I think are almost perfect, I also have the Urbanfun YBF which is pretty good. I have the 58X which I quite enjoy too.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #48,798 of 75,297
Hey y'all, I'm looking for a really good pair of earbuds, don't want to be on the endless chase. Looking to spend up to $150, however would go higher if it's really worth it. Does anyone have suggestions? I was looking at the ME80 and KS LB which were both mentioned recently in the thread, they're obviously fairly cheap, but how good are they really? I've also heard that the Rose Maria are TOTL, but I haven't seen any reviews on them so I'm not sure what I'd be getting (they're quite pricy). I'm a bit a of a bass head, for example, I have a pair of ISN H40 which I think are almost perfect, I also have the Urbanfun YBF which is pretty good. I have the 58X which I quite enjoy too.

Would you be happy having $150 to spend but then only forking out around $20 for the ME80?

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #48,799 of 75,297

Hello fellow basshead! Most earbuds won't please bassheads in terms of subbass extension/quantity. They can give good midbass thump, but unfortunately due to a lack of isolation, subbass is generally lost below about 40 or so Hz. Maybe except the HE150 Pro, SMABAT ST10 and SMABAT M2 Pro that I've tried, those have good subbass extension for a earbud, but even so, they can't compete with true basshead IEMs in bass quantity.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #48,800 of 75,297
Would you be happy having $150 to spend but then only forking out around $20 for the ME80?
If the ME80 legitimately as good as the more expensive earbuds, then for sure, always happy to save some money :grin:

Hello fellow basshead! Most earbuds won't please bassheads in terms of subbass extension/quantity. They can give good midbass thump, but unfortunately due to a lack of isolation, subbass is generally lost below about 40 or so Hz. Maybe except the HE150 Pro, SMABAT ST10 and SMABAT M2 Pro that I've tried, those have good subbass extension for a earbud, but even so, they can't compete with true basshead IEMs in bass quantity.
Thanks for the recommendations! If it's a matter of form factor limitations, then I don't mind a somewhat lacking sub-bass.

Aug 24, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #48,801 of 75,297
If the ME80 legitimately as good as the more expensive earbuds, then for sure, always happy to save some money :grin:

Since I don't have any near-TOTL or TOTL buds to compare, then I can't say for certain. But for $20, the ME80 is a really good choice, IMHO.

Just as an aside, if I had $150 to spend and I'm hell bent to get the best buds out there, I'd spend it all :)

Aug 24, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #48,803 of 75,297

Do you prefer clarity and detail along with good sub-bass extension/quantity? Then I'd recommend the original ST-10 (green 45Ω) if you can find a pair.

I haven't heard the new ST-10S but others here have and compared both the black/silver (40Ω) and black/gold (150Ω) models. They said the black/gold was the better of the two but needs a source slightly better than the average cell phone (lg quad dac phones, usb-c dac, bt adapters, etc).

The K's LB is very good but not as satisfying for a bass head as the ST-10 would be. I have both the newer LB and older ST-10. The ST-10 also has way less of a mid-bass hump to its sound sig and with the exception of the bass lift it is a fairly neutral sound signature.

I also have an ME80 but don't listen to it, as it doesn't fit my ears very well. I prefer smaller shell buds. Been too long since I tried it so can't recall enough for a comparison to the LB & ST-10. I'll try and give a listen later but IIRC its not in the same league.

I haven't heard the Maria but there are others here who have and posted some impressions if you search the thread.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #48,804 of 75,297

After watching this thread a while it seems the absolute best buds are OurArt QJ21 ($250), ISN Rambo II ($70) and the 150ohm smabat ST-10s ($150). @cqtek has some reviews on the qj21 and r2, as well as the 40ohm ST-10s, scroll to the bottom for numerical scores. https://www.head-fi.org/members/cqtek.451999/#showcase-reviews

I placed an order for the Rambo II recently, it's apparently on par with the qj21 on bass and mids. Apparently the 40ohm ST-10s has more bass quantity, but the quality isn't as good. Dunno about the 150ohm variant though. With earbuds, I'd rather have flat bass with better resolution & timbre. Besides you'll be getting bass and treble rolloff with any earbuds, so good mids, resolution & timbre really are the priority imo.

I should note I've only been watching buds with detachable cables.. the Simphonio Dragon 2+ has good reviews, but a fixed cable.

Also personally, any manufacturer that doesn't explain what materials the transducer is made of probably isn't worth paying attention to.. diaphragm material (polypropylene, aluminum, titanium, berrylium, etc) heavily influences sound quality imo. If they don't explain what the diaphragm's made of (in respect to dynamic drivers here) then I tend to just pass on them.

Edit: Don't know about the Rose Maria either. Also Moondrops been putting out some new earbuds, though their earlier stuff wasn't too notable from what I've read.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #48,805 of 75,297
New beauties are coming :L3000:

118058912_198496428298191_6998819943697052870_o.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/Tiny.Woodcraft/

116895814_2693050547680766_2516419327266997638_o.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/SupremoLub/

when they will come I will write my inpression about it, so far I have to say is a pleasure talking to them, especially Tiny Woodcraft, exquisite person and super friendly, the service is more than impeccable.

Thailand seems the land of earbuds makers, there are quite a lot of beautiful works, yet I don't know how they sound, but there are some reviews

118282699_308010836950767_2567041370164729975_n.jpg
117977880_603250160581997_5219111137980322306_n.jpg

and those from https://www.instagram.com/uairekko/?hl=it

happy kid here:L3000:

Aug 24, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #48,807 of 75,297
Aug 24, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #48,808 of 75,297
I haven't heard the new ST-10S but others here have and compared both the black/silver (40Ω) and black/gold (150Ω) models. They said the black/gold was the better of the two but needs a source slightly better than the average cell phone (lg quad dac phones, usb-c dac, bt adapters, etc).
Black/silver (40Ω) hard to drive than black/gold (150Ω). Black/silver (40Ω) worse than ST-10 Green. Black/gold (150Ω) better of all ST-10 and good drive with LG quad DAC phones.

Aug 24, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #48,809 of 75,297
After watching this thread a while it seems the absolute best buds are OurArt QJ21 ($250), ISN Rambo II ($70) and the 150ohm smabat ST-10s ($150). @cqtek has some reviews on the qj21 and r2, as well as the 40ohm ST-10s, scroll to the bottom for numerical scores. https://www.head-fi.org/members/cqtek.451999/#showcase-reviews

I placed an order for the Rambo II recently, it's apparently on par with the qj21 on bass and mids. Apparently the 40ohm ST-10s has more bass quantity, but the quality isn't as good. Dunno about the 150ohm variant though. With earbuds, I'd rather have flat bass with better resolution & timbre. Besides you'll be getting bass and treble rolloff with any earbuds, so good mids, resolution & timbre really are the priority imo.

I should note I've only been watching buds with detachable cables.. the Simphonio Dragon 2+ has good reviews, but a fixed cable.

Also personally, any manufacturer that doesn't explain what materials the transducer is made of probably isn't worth paying attention to.. diaphragm material (polypropylene, aluminum, titanium, berrylium, etc) heavily influences sound quality imo. If they don't explain what the diaphragm's made of (in respect to dynamic drivers here) then I tend to just pass on them.

Edit: Don't know about the Rose Maria either. Also Moondrops been putting out some new earbuds, though their earlier stuff wasn't too notable from what I've read.

I just want to point out that the ISN Rambo II is very good in its price range. But the Ouart QJ21's are in a higher range.
My scores cannot be taken as absolute, I take the price range into account. It is also not a measure of quantity, it is a mix between quality and quantity.
ISN Rambo II and Ourart QJ21 have light bass. ISN Rambo II can be tuned, by covering vents with tape, to increase the presence of bass. But it's not comparable to a beast in bass, as ISN H40 are. If you're looking for something like that, I don't think it's possible, but Smabat has better bass response. In my opinion, I prefer the Smabat ST-10 to the ST-10s silver.
If you are looking for clarity and definition, ISN Rambo II has an excellent price/performance ratio. But please don't put them on the same level as the Ouart QJ21.
I have a review pending of the Sunrise Dragon 2 Limited Edition (SWD2LE) 10th Anniversary, which has a higher bass response than the Rambo II, but has a warmer profile, not as clear as the Rambo II. Technically they are different, although I haven't deepened in the SWD2LE, to give more details.

I repeat, I don't want to be a slave of the scores, that's why I think it's necessary to write this clarification.

Greetings.

Aug 24, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #48,810 of 75,297

Users who are viewing this thread

Back