Earbuds Round-Up
May 24, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #4,831 of 75,391
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I am both an earbud nut and a vintage MP3 player nut... 
tongue_smile.gif

May 24, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #4,833 of 75,391
  Listening to Porcupine Tree with my Ting on my ancient iRiver H120. Truly great pairing with wonderful synergy! Tomahawk is more engaging with it's more upfron sound but Ting is much more musical. Have to recommend the iRiver to anyone who wants good sound. They can easily be modded with CF cards and batteries can be changed relatively easily. You need Rockbox for CF mods to work but Rockbox easily beat most original firmwares. This 12 year old DAP with built in line out can easily compete with many current DAPs.

Cool! I'm listening to a lot Devin Townsend and progressive works nowadays and enjoying it with Tomahawk, after finding my right fit in some tracks worth that presentation more upfront, do you rate Ting a side grade over Tomahawks? Btw do you have a new top5 ranking? I'm curious haha.

May 24, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #4,834 of 75,391

The closest I ever got to a vintage mp3 player was I used to play mp3s on an old Sony Clie.

(not my photo)

The first MP3 player I bought back in 2003 (if I remember correctly). I gave it away after I got a smaller, but still big, Creative Zen Touch around 2005, but out of nostalgia I bought a second hand Jukebox 3 on Ebay a couple of years ago. Big as a house but sounds pretty good and has got built in line out plus an included IR remote.

I recently changed the 20GB HDD for a 80GB one and plan on using it at work.

Cool! I'm listening to a lot Devin Townsend and progressive works nowadays and enjoying it with Tomahawk, after finding my right fit in some tracks worth that presentation more upfront, do you rate Ting a side grade over Tomahawks? Btw do you have a new top5 ranking? I'm curious haha.

I haven't taken the time to work out a new top 5. Want to work out a top 10. However, my top 3 still stands (Blox TM7, Sony MDR-E252, Sennheiser MX980) and I think that VE Zen 1 makes it to number 4. Just have to figure out where to put Shozy Cygnus, Ting, Yuin PK1 etc etc. Plus the ones I haven't bought yet, such as Ostry KC08...

About Ting vs Tomahawk I would probably rank Ting as a slight upgrade. The overall presentation is quite different though.

May 24, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #4,838 of 75,391
May 24, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #4,841 of 75,391
A set of MDR-E252 in White sold on eBay for $1100 in November!
Are they being re-released?!

Don't think so. They were released around 1982-1983. The first high end earbuds. I got my pair for $250 on Ebay about 3-4 years ago...

Awarning to everyone: try to stay away from vintage earbud collecting. If you think your wallet hurts now you have no idea of how it will feel after you've collected a few oldies...

May 24, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #4,842 of 75,391
May 25, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #4,844 of 75,391
The two detachable earbuds I ordered arrived in Chicago, so hopefully should be here within a week.  I'm quite curious how they'll hold up...  it also occurs to me the MMCX cables I have are all over ear designs, so I should probably order something from Amazon.

May 25, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #4,845 of 75,391
Listening to Porcupine Tree with my Ting on my ancient iRiver H120. Truly great pairing with wonderful synergy! Tomahawk is more engaging with it's more upfron sound but Ting is much more musical. Have to recommend the iRiver to anyone who wants good sound. They can easily be modded with CF cards and batteries can be changed relatively easily. You need Rockbox for CF mods to work but Rockbox easily beat most original firmwares. This 12 year old DAP with built in line out can easily compete with many current DAPs.

Only have iriver h10. But i can't use them now. The data cable and charger has lost, and still try to find the the shop that sell it :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back