Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 22, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #46,021 of 75,288

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #46,022 of 75,288
I received my Smabat M1 Pro today. I am very impressed by the clarity and soundstage, but do find that positioning is critical for an acceptable bass response. What is the best way to obtain a good seal? I am using the supplied foams. Would donut foams be better, and where can I get some to fit the Smabat M1? TIA!
Use the ear hooks. They make a huge difference. Give them time. The bass will come.

Nov 22, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #46,023 of 75,288
I hope somebody receives the KBear Knight until next friday and share impressions with us :) It will be sold for the same as lucky bag price on Ali's BF, it's pretty hard for me to resist haha

Another really good earbud for the price, fairly balanced tonally, if not a little on the warmish / fullish side. Yes, the housing is pretty much all metal and it is not one of those generic housing.

One for me too!

Nov 22, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #46,024 of 75,288
I received my Smabat M1 Pro today. I am very impressed by the clarity and soundstage, but do find that positioning is critical for an acceptable bass response. What is the best way to obtain a good seal? I am using the supplied foams. Would donut foams be better, and where can I get some to fit the Smabat M1? TIA!

If you were wearing cable down, try wearing over ear? You can also double foam (donut over regular, or even double donut). Plus there is the wings you can try.

Could be the smaller shell design that is 16.1mm dia. is too small with a single foam for you. Do you prefer smaller shell earbuds (pk) or larger (mx500)?

For me they sat perfectly when worn over ear.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #46,025 of 75,288
Thanks for everyone on your advises about donut and full foams.

I quite like the NiceHCK ME80 sound signature after more listening with them.
Other than the Rose Masya Mk 2 that was recommended, are there any other earbuds with the same form factor as the ME80, but maybe a set that is midcentric with good quantity of subbass? Budget ~ 100 USD but maybe can increase it a bit if it is highly recommended.

TIA!!

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #46,026 of 75,288
My thoughts on the Rose Masya MK2:

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" - William Shakespeare

Nothing could be more true of the Masya MK2, as it is a direct evolution of the original.

The silkiest of sound, only tweaked to provide deeper bass and even more clarity.

The build quality has also been upgraded; the housings are now slightly smaller in depth and have been smoothed to feel even more premium in the hand.

Accessories now include both the OCC cable and a silver-plated copper cable, along with ear guides to allow for more flexible fit.

*Disclaimer - These might be fancy words, but it is a fancy earbud. I was provided a sample of this earbud for review and to compare with the original*

P1110081.jpg

P1110082.jpg

P1110083.jpg

P1110084.jpg

P1110087.jpg

--

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #46,028 of 75,288
My thoughts on the Rose Masya Pro:

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" - William Shakespeare

Nothing could be more true of the Masya Pro, as it is a direct evolution of the original.

The silkiest of sound, only tweaked to provide deeper bass and even more clarity.

The build quality has also been upgraded; the housings are now slightly smaller in depth and have been smoothed to feel even more premium in the hand.

Accessories now include both the OCC cable and a silver-plated copper cable, along with ear guides to allow for more flexible fit.

*Disclaimer - These might be fancy words, but it is a fancy earbud. I was provided a sample of this earbud for review and to compare with the original*

P1110081.jpg

P1110082.jpg

P1110083.jpg

P1110084.jpg

P1110087.jpg

--

The Rose Masya MK2 is a top notch earbud. Not to be confused with the Rose Masya. Big bass, nice mids and highs that really respond to equalization for those who like that. I really like them a lot.

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #46,029 of 75,288
Finally got the chance to try the Moondrop buds, namely the Liebesleid and the Chaconne.

I first tried the Liebesleid, and had a wow moment. It had amazing resolution, great mids, nice bass, but the stars was the treble sparkle and how emotional the mids sounded. They sounded great, detailed, wide, and sparkly sweet.

The Chaconne had much better fit. I didn't think the Liebesleid was uncomfortable at first, but switching from the Liebesleid to the Chaconne the Liebs felt much more loose and prone to accidentally falling out.

I thought the Chaconne had the same signature open sound and extreme resolution, but it lost the sparkle of the Liebs and the bass also seemed to have ever so slightly less punch. The mids though somehow felt even more resolute and expressive. Female vocals especially were extremely emotional and clear sounding.

Both sets had top of the line soundstage and positioning. The main difference I felt is that the Liebs are ever so slightly U shaped, with sparkly highs and nice warm bass, while the Chacs felt more expressive for vocals and fit better. If I were to buy one, I would probably get the Liebs. The sparkle on the highs was really special and helped pull out a lot of detail, the mids were still top-of-the-line, and while the fit is the only thing I feel is a little sub par (loose), they are about 100$ cheaper.

Compared to the Smabat ST-10, I feel like the rumble on the Smabat's sub-bass is better, but they sound much colder overall, and the mids on the ST-10 are extremely clear and resolute sounding but sometimes sound sterile and lifeless. The stage and imaging is about the same.

Nov 23, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #46,030 of 75,288
The Rose Masya MK2 is a top notch earbud. Not to be confused with the Rose Masya. Big bass, nice mids and highs that really respond to equalization for those who like that. I really like them a lot.

OMG! Haaa! I was so tired when I posted this I labeled it wrong!!! Haa! Thank you for the correction, I have edited my post.

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #46,034 of 75,288
Where do you buy the Rose Masya Mk2? All I can find are Rose Masya Pro.

On Penon the Rose Masya Mk 2 is called the Rose Masya Pro. I bought it from Penon and for some reason they call it the pro. I had to draw it to their attention that they had the wrong figures up for the Mk2. They have now been corrected. I have quite a few IEMs and Buds and can say that I listen to two generally. The Rose Masya Mk2 and the Blon 03. You could very possibly get a discount if you ask.

Nov 23, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #46,035 of 75,288
Which earbud has slamming bass and deep soundstage with clear mids?
If you're looking for budget solution and know how to solder, I can recommend this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32980742390.html
Big bass, clear mids, deep soundstage just as you ordered. It beats anything I have or had up to this point (more than a dozen buds under 15usd). Only con is that in stock tuning the 3-5khz range can be a bit sharp depending on your source or individual song. (many earbuds have this trait, depends on foam choice too) I'll experiment with tuning and different shells in the future but for now I leave it as it is because it's already so good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back