Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 22, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #46,006 of 74,632
Just to check, do donut foams and normal foams make a difference to sound? And between the black, grey and blue foams, are there any differences to sound, or it is just asthetics?
Yes donut foams will alter the sound. In my experience they will make the sound more v-shaped and open, improve clarity. Generally they push back mids and give more presence to bass and highs. But you have to test it out, everyone's ears are different.The colors don't matter usually, but the density and thickness do. To compare density, hold two foams in front of a white computer screen for example, you'll see how much light they let through. I'd describe the B40 stock foams as average thickness, quite dense. With less dense foam you'll get crispier more open sound with less but tighter bass. Thickness will improve seal, thus increase bass and warm up lower mids. A lack of good seal can make the sound thin and harsh, even if you feel the fit is ok. If you push the buds slightly in your ears, and notice a big difference, then you would benefit from thicker foam.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #46,007 of 74,632
I just entered my 3rd rabbithole of the world of earbuds thanks to @mbwilson111 (IEMs and headphones being rabbithole 1 and 2).

I have to make a confession, I last used earbuds 20 years ago, and I always had a negative impression that they were inferior to IEMs because of poorer isolation and hence they should be inferior in details and subbass. At the recent 11/11 AE sale, I got the NiceHCK B40 and ME80 as they were cheap, and I gotta say, I have been proven wrong about earbuds. I'm quite impressed by the earbuds' technicalities and subbass when compared head to head with IEMs. No doubt isolation is not their forte, but they make it up by having a better soundstage then IEMs. They are like mini open backed headphones in a way, but might be more convenient in hot weather even.

Just to check, do donut foams and normal foams make a difference to sound? And between the black, grey and blue foams, are there any differences to sound, or it is just asthetics?

I quite like the shape of the ME80. Am wondering are there upgrades to the ME80 with similar shape, but having a warm signature with good subbass? TIA for your advise!

The Rose Masya Mk 2 (some call it the Pro) has a strong bass profile (they are a different bud to the Rose Masya). The are quite a large bud so a good size ear canal is needed. To my ears they have a stronger bass than the TFZ No.3, but some would find them uncomfortable. I'm a big fan of the Blon 03 but would say this has just as natural tuning, maybe very slightly veiled in comparison with the Blon 03 but with big bass............ IMHO. Not veiled compared to the TFZ No3.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #46,008 of 74,632
budmeme.jpg

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #46,010 of 74,632
I received my Smabat M1 Pro today. I am very impressed by the clarity and soundstage, but do find that positioning is critical for an acceptable bass response. What is the best way to obtain a good seal? I am using the supplied foams. Would donut foams be better, and where can I get some to fit the Smabat M1? TIA!

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #46,012 of 74,632
It's a nice warm fuzzy rabbit hole, right?

It is. I generally find that people are kinder to each other in this thread than they are in a few others.

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #46,013 of 74,632
Nov 22, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #46,016 of 74,632
I hope somebody receives the KBear Knight until next friday and share impressions with us :) It will be sold for the same as lucky bag price on Ali's BF, it's pretty hard for me to resist haha

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #46,017 of 74,632
3h8vl1.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #46,018 of 74,632
I hope somebody receives the KBear Knight until next friday and share impressions with us :) It will be sold for the same as lucky bag price on Ali's BF, it's pretty hard for me to resist haha

No need to resist, it is well worth the asking price.

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #46,019 of 74,632
Nov 22, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #46,020 of 74,632
It is. I generally find that people are kinder to each other in this thread than they are in a few others.

Indeed. It's like a hippie firecamp where anyone is welcome to sit and ask as many questions as he wants without being ever talked down lol

Regarding donuts, the link posted doesn't work for me on mobile, but if it's not the same I wholeheartedly recommend trig rains :
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/1S0m31zuf
Very good seal

I have their full foams as well, they're ok but not nearly as thick so I don't have a great seal, and they're difficult to fit, easily rip appart. Dense, so good at taming harshness tho.

Enjoy the Turandot Panda, I'm sure they're excellent, but I personally would have to recable them, not keen on that color so not for me. But one day, one day, I'll get a totl earbud :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back