Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 26, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #44,266 of 75,861
Any further recommendations for
Hey there Head Fi members. I'm hoping to get some recommendations. Currently, I am using the Ty Hi-z 150s. My sources are an LG V40, and an Opus#1s. I'm looking for a definite upgrade. 80 bucks sounds about in my wheelhouse, but I'm willing to stretch for the right buds.
Things I don't like about the Ty Hi-z - Muddy and congested would be my main complaint. Mids are a bit too scooped as well. I listen to hard rock, dating between the early 70s to the early 90s. I like my guitars, drums and vocals. Not sure if this will help, but I have gone through several full sized cans, and these are the four that I won't part ways with.
Meze 99 Classics with original pads
Sennheiser 58X
Audio Technica Ath-Msr7b
Audioquest Nightowl
If I could obtain even 2/3 of what these cans offer, I'd be happy. I use earbuds to run with primarily. I don't like sweating that much on my earpads.
I'm after something that will provide engagement and emotion, without being harsh or overly aggressive. Good separation and clarity. They don't have to be detail retrieval monsters, but I don't want to miss out on a whole lot. I don't want something boomy, but tight, controlled, and present. I prefer my low end a bit North of neutral. Nothing splashy up top, but decent extension with a little bit of sparkle. Mids are most important. They don't have to be super forward, but they can't be recessed.
Lastly, I would need to be able to use the wing things with them, and I'd prefer them to not be too difficult to source. I've been skimming through the thread, but there's just too much to read. Any suggestions would be most appreciated
Anymore recommendations for me? The ST-10 looks promising, but I would like to have a few more suggestions.

Aug 27, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #44,271 of 75,861
I spent time with my Smabat last night and discovered that adding a donut foam to the regular foam does in fact make them sound even better.... as ClieOS originally told us. I just did not think it would fit like that for me so I had not tried it. Luckily my husband @HungryPanda was home to put the donuts on for me. I could have never done it. Hard enough for me to just get regular foams on.

Can anyone please confirm the MMCX size for the RY4S Plus? 2.5mm or 3.5mm? Also, would anyone suggest silver vs copper?

thanks!

:)

I personally prefer copper but others may disagree.

When you ask about 2.5mm vs 3.5mm, that has nothing to do with the MMCX connector itself . It refers to the plug end. 2.5mm is for a source that has a 2.5mm balanced output. 3.5mm is the normal plug for a phone or other 3.5mm SE source . IF you plan to buy something later that has balanced output you could go ahead and get a 2.5mm balanced cable and also a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter to use with it for now.

If you have no idea what I am talking about just choose the 3.5mm and you will be fine.... unless you have a phone with no headphone jack!

I recommend MusicMaker Ting for you.

The Ting sounds great... I just wish mine fit me... they were too big when I got them. Maybe my ears have stretched though or I have learned to better fit my buds. I should get them out and try again. You have just made me want to do that :)

Aug 27, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #44,272 of 75,861

When you ask about 2.5mm vs 3.5mm, that has nothing to do with the MMCX connector itself . It refers to the plug end. 2.5mm is for a source that has a 2.5mm balanced output. 3.5mm is the normal plug for a phone or other 3.5mm SE source . IF you plan to buy something later that has balanced output you could go ahead and get a 2.5mm balanced cable and also a 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male adapter to use with it for now.

:)

Hehe.. thanks for the clarification! I had a brain freeze. Finally interpreted the options and what they were talking about... Finally... I got the jack size confused with the plug size and was furiously trying to find info the 'two' different mmcx size versions (new plug design?!) Like the different two-pin size configurations available... Lol! Too much excitement! :)

Aug 27, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #44,274 of 75,861
Anyone knows the driver size of lucky bag? I mean 15.4mm, 14.8mm etc.

Aug 27, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #44,275 of 75,861
I spent time with my Smabat last night and discovered that adding a donut foam to the regular foam does in fact make them sound even better.... as ClieOS originally told us. I just did not think it would fit like that for me so I had not tried it. Luckily my husband @HungryPanda was home to put the donuts on for me. I could have never done it. Hard enough for me to just get regular foams on.

If you have no idea what I am talking about just choose the 3.5mm and you will be fine.... unless you have a phone with no headphone jack!

The Ting sounds great... I just wish mine fit me... they were too big when I got them. Maybe my ears have stretched though or I have learned to better fit my buds. I should get them out and try again. You have just made me want to do that :)
So the Ting is larger than the Smabat. Good to know. How do you know the Ting sounds great, if you can't get them to fit?

Aug 27, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #44,276 of 75,861
So the Ting is larger than the Smabat. Good to know. How do you know the Ting sounds great, if you can't get them to fit?

They will fit if I sit perfectly still but they are uncomfortable They aren't wider... they are thick. It all depends on ear anatomy. Same size and shape and many of the Tonekings that others including my husband find comfortable.

The thick part just does not tuck under my tragus very well. Not my photo.

ting.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #44,278 of 75,861
Please do not worry. The diameter of Ting's Shell is definitely smaller than Smabat or PK Shell.:kissing_smiling_eyes:

For me it is not always about the diameter. Other aspects of the shape affect fit as well. Not sure why the photo of the Ting did not work before but it should be ok now.

Aug 27, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #44,279 of 75,861
They will fit if I sit perfectly still but they are uncomfortable They aren't wider... they are thick. It all depends on ear anatomy. Same size and shape and many of the Tonekings that others including my husband find comfortable.

The thick part just does not tuck under my tragus very well. Not my photo.

I had to Google tragus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back