Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 5, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #43,921 of 75,336
One issue I discovered with the ME80 last night is that the cable is horribly noisy if you're moving around. I typically only listen to buds when I'm at my desk, so I hadn't noticed it yet, but I was out with the dog listening to them last night and the noise was really distracting.

I am still enjoying them a lot in general though. Some added burn in and/or a switch to donuts has smoothed out the mid bass hump that had been a bit excessive to my ears.

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #43,922 of 75,336
Thank you :)
* You think that Cygnus is still a good tip in the yuin shell family, even if a "older" model ?
P.s. : I like a balanced to warm sound, and as stated in my signature, my best earbuds are Shozy BK. I search for sonething a little cheaper, if possible as good, as with 3,5'm connector.

I think that Cygnus is still a good tip in the yuin shell family, even if a "older" model, because I like Cygnus's sound which has brighter mid-treble than BK's. (They are being said that they use different cables but same docomo drivers.)

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #43,923 of 75,336
The Penon store is accessible on AE (perhaps that is where you bought it from):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32839862233.html
I actually bought a similar banned here on headfi cable (Y****o) from another store on Aliexpress. It was a couple of bucks cheaper and has a chin slider. But, thanks! Both the cable and the buds have already shipped, so I'll be curious to hear what this combo will sound like.

Aug 6, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #43,924 of 75,336
My Fengru's arrived. I'm very impressed with the overall fidelity. Makes my JVC Gumy's sound like a cheap toy. The only complaint I have is I'm hearing some pretty harsh sibilance when vocalists sing "s". The foams help a little.

I had the same issue when I first got my DT770 Pros as well, but I soon got used to it. Hopefully I just need to use these Fengru's for a while and it'll stop bothering me.

Gotta say though, these are absolutely amazing. Not even for the price, the price is just a ridiculous bonus. They sound genuinely high quality.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #43,925 of 75,336
Any recs for cheap MMCX cables? I'm probably going to try the RY4S Plus, but can't be bothered to spend $10-20 on a cable to go with it, which is about all I'm seeing on AE. There have to be decent options under $5, no?
The difference between a meh $5 cable and a good $10 cable is totally worth it though for durability and looks/feel.

The $10 nicehck copper cable i linked before would be my rec. Plus mmcx cables aren't just confined to one earbud so its not a bad investment to buy some with decent quality IMO.

I haven't seen much sub $10 cables that look as quality as that nicehck $10 cable.

Aug 6, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #43,926 of 75,336
I haven't seen much sub $10 cables that look as quality as that nicehck $10 cable.

Please remind us of the link if you are able to post the html one without the spam part.

Aug 6, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #43,927 of 75,336
When I said 'current favourites' I was talking about the cable.

I haven't listened to either for quite a while but I preferred the 1.0 for it's more natural and balanced sound, from what I remember. If you have a search you will find my and others' impressions of both.

Having said that, I think most people on here preferred the 1.0+.
1.0+ bass is a bit underwhelming imo. It's not that tight, punchy or extended. I do like the upper treble air, good presence and detail.

Mids i would call a bit cold and fairly neutral and detailed. Not my ideal sound but not bad either. Not the most engaging mids but nothing offensive about them.

Solid wide soundstage and imaging.

Aug 6, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #43,928 of 75,336
Aug 6, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #43,930 of 75,336
My first post in a long long time.

$500 does sound a bit much compared to $320 for SWD2+
Those are the last earbuds I bought (last autumn for $199 on Massdrop - ended up around $260 with import taxes and customs fees to Sweden) and I'm amazed at how good they are. Not 100% my prefered sound signature but I'll definitely hold on to them.

I felt I had to step in because of the generic earbuds shell comment. All of the best sounding earbuds I've heard fall into that category (perhaps MX980/985 is the only exception).

I'm with the family in Japan again like last year (no meeting Herry of Cypherus this year, though).
I was interested in the new ATH CM2000TI and was thinking of buying a pair. I got an opportunity to listen to them at the e earphone store in Akihabara in Tokyo.
Man, was I disappointed. Hollow and metallic sounding. The soundstage might have had some depth, but felt narrow. I have previously owned both CM7 and CM700 and from memory they sounded better.
50 000 yen for something like that?

I compared directly to my pair of Cypherus CampFred 2 that I had with me and that felt like how music should sound like. With warmth, dynamics, more details, no metallic sound.

Either the pair at e earphone was defective or ATH tuned the sound very strange.
I left Akihabara with just a new pair of earpads for my ATH ES10 headphones.

If you can get good sound and custom shells, great. But I prefer to go just by sound. In my experience mainly tiny earbuds DIY boutiques put the main focus on that aspect.
It's general consensus that mx500 and pk plastic shells are excellent performers. But the hugely inflated price is the real issue here. $500 for a driver? Madness. And the fact that its more than +$100 over the previous generation which is also over priced for what you are buying (lets be honest here). Obviously people can spend what they want. But I think the trend recently with TOTL earbuds is to just slap a ludicrous price tag on them and see the die hard fans spend all their savings on it. I've yet to see any evidence that these newer more expensive designs are in any way better than previous gen earbuds in terms of design or development costs.

Perfect! Thanks.
There's even a 2.5mm balanced option for the same price.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #43,931 of 75,336
It's general consensus that mx500 and pk plastic shells are excellent performers. But the hugely inflated price is the real issue here. $500 for a driver? Madness. And the fact that its more than +$100 over the previous generation which is also over priced for what you are buying (lets be honest here). Obviously people can spend what they want. But I think the trend recently with TOTL earbuds is to just slap a ludicrous price tag on them and see the die hard fans spend all their savings on it. I've yet to see any evidence that these newer more expensive designs are in any way better than previous gen earbuds in terms of design or development costs.

I agreement on the inflated price. $300 is an acceptable price level for flagship earbuds from smaller makers.

I just think that It's better to justify price with sound than with design and materials, and the $400 ATH CM2000TI was an example of that. A big headphone company that releases a premium priced earbud will be viewed as a standard for TOTL earbuds when you can find sub $20 DIY earbuds that sound better.

Aug 7, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #43,933 of 75,336
Well, I went out and got the weird Panasonic earbuds at the flee market today. Here they are, hopefully I can get more information on them...

20190807_182638.jpg

They have a short J-cord, so I did most of my listening on my ES100. I tried them without foams first.

They had really good imaging, and a ton of detail, which was very nice. Doing a sine sweep, they had a response down at 30hz, and got louder to 60hz, then pretty much the same volume until 4k, where it went up, and at 10k the volume was louder too.

They kind of sounded hollow though, and they had almost very slam where I expect it.

I put on some foams, and the sound was much more natural, with a nice mid-bass presence, but still sounded a little hollow and lacked the bass slam, even though the mid bass was doing its work very nicely.

I'm perplexed. I love the imaging and details, and don:t mind the hollow sound too much, but no bass slam means I can:t enjoy a lot of songs the same way anymore. I think I will need more time with them, they might be nice for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back