Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 4, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #43,891 of 75,149
Aug 5, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #43,895 of 75,149
I do hope that is only one ear, but even then only should be for answering important calls good sir and not listening to music :wink:

Respectfully here is some food for thought:

My extremely short and petite 19-year old great niece was loading her car with bags from a shopping cart when a SUV backing out of the parking space next to her ran her over and then dragged her for many kilometers down the road. The SUV driver was a mother of two small children and was wearing headphones and had not heard the screams nor the pounding of my niece against the back of the car... nor did the driver hear the reports from many bystanders in the parking lot (whom the driver happily waved back to thinking that they were simply greeting her)... nor did the driver even hear the horn and siren of a passing government utility vehicle who had seen my niece fighting for her life while being dragged behind the vehicle caught by her clothing and hair in the rear bumper/undercarriage.

So enthralled by the music the driver failed to notice the desperate plees of the government utility workers driving alongside who were signalling and yelling for the driver to stop her vehicle. The government utility workers finally resorted to gently pulling up against the SUV (clearly noting that there were small children in the backseat) forcing the driver to finally stop after the SUV was pinned up against a guardrail or something of the like. Of course the driver was horrified once she saw my dying niece underneath her car and understood what she had done... but too little too late as my niece passed away before the paramedics arrived.

The coroner believed my niece would have easily survived the initial impact of being hit and run over in the parking lot if the SUV had stopped then. However, the long drag down the road at 80 plus kph and the resulting injuries and complications was what ultimately caused her death. The driver's excuse was that she had always worn headphones while driving (listening to music and talking on the phone) to drown out the constant crying, screaming, and fighting of her children.

Apparently, when you impair your hearing with isolation your peripheral vision literally goes right out the door as well and you lose touch with your surroundings.
FYI it is illegal for drivers to wear headphones while driving in many countries around the world and I see in the U.S. states of Colorado, Maryland, Louisiana, and Rhode Island... while the state of Illinois only allows one-ear earphone usage while operating a vehicle.

I'm deeply saddened reading this... my condolences to you..

i'm always wear iems under my helmet, mostly to block wind noise, and also sometimes wear earphones/iems in my car, mostly to drown out the rumbling noise of the road, but even if i play some music on, i always check the volume to never past the point that i cannot hear my finger click. even with music on, i can still hear my son and wife's voice.for me personally, blocking the wind and low rumble noise helps me focus and able to listen to the more important sound cues such as car horns, engine noise. it's also better for me to gauge distance of the sound cues.

even for people who only use the car stereo system for music, sometimes they crank the volume so high that it drowns all noise that they can't even hear other car's horn sound... and that is very dangerous.

Aug 5, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #43,896 of 75,149
I think the best yuin shell earbuds at the time as follows.
-Top of the line: Simphonio SWD2+
-Middle of the line: Shozy Cygnus
Thank you for your answer.
But the Simphonio is above my budget (already have the Shozy BK in 2,5mm), and the Cygnus doesn't seem to be available anymore on Aliexpress...
Another middle of the line recommandation ?

Aug 5, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #43,897 of 75,149
But the Simphonio is above my budget (already have the Shozy BK in 2,5mm), and the Cygnus doesn't seem to be available anymore on Aliexpress...

Looks like Wong just came out with the Blur PK 16. Blur being Blur I am sure it will sound amazing but cost a lot (from 200$ and up). You have to pm him for pricing on the earbuds anonymous FB group. I am very interested but just know I can't afford it now.

Aug 5, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #43,898 of 75,149
Hey everybody! back from my holidays in Spain :)

Once back home I finally received my TY Hi-Z TY (32ohm).
First impression is good (for the price), probably one of the best ~5$ earbuds that I tried yet

Overall bass is impressive, quite invasive but enough control, there is a lot of impact while not beeing a sub-bass king. mids are clearly recessed (we can feel the much V pronounced sound sig), high are crisp and there is an annoying peak resulting to be sibilant in some areas (still need to define which freq exactly). The sound is not very natural and transparent to my ears, but smooth enough to be enjoyed. Soundstage is very good thanks to it's dark (but fun) signature.

For the price, I recommended them. I place them right after EMX500S that I still prefer for the subbass (especially) / althought my EMX500S died long time ago, I remember his signature quite well today.
I recommend listen to these Hi-Z with full (and thick) foams (to help taming the annoying highs peak)
Cheers'

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #43,899 of 75,149
As this market is constantly evolving, can you please tell me what are at the time the best yuin shell ear buds :
- Top of the line
- Middle of the line
I think the best yuin shell earbuds at the time as follows.
-Top of the line: Simphonio SWD2+
-Middle of the line: Shozy Cygnus
Simphonio Dragon 3 is now available, for $500 (link, review).

Regarding the high price, consider that Simphonio Dragon 2+ is $320, but has been on Massdrop twice, first at $240 and then at $200. Really raises doubt about the value.

Personally, I decided that I will no longer buy an expensive earbud with a cheap generic plastic shell. If a vendor claims high performance, but they put zero effort into designing a shell to optimize the performance of the driver, then it is a compromised design. If they are charging a high price, there is no excuse.

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #43,900 of 75,149

Regarding the high price, consider that Simphonio Dragon 2+ is $320, but has been on Massdrop twice, first at $240 and then at $200. Really raises doubt about the value.

Personally, I decided that I will no longer buy an expensive earbud with a cheap generic plastic shell. If a vendor claims high performance, but they put zero effort into designing a shell to optimize the performance of the driver, then it is a compromised design. If they are charging a high price, there is no excuse.

That just looks like an actual scam to me...sorry. An absolutely generic braided cable, shell, with a driver that's supposed to make up like 98% of the entire asking price of $500. I know they were supposed to be doing a fancy layered driver or something, but....$480 for a small dynamic driver? It just seems like a race to the top, to see how many people they can actually get to pay for a product they sell with a 100% markup...i'll be happy with my planars, sabias and kubes, thanks.

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #43,901 of 75,149

My first post in a long long time.

$500 does sound a bit much compared to $320 for SWD2+
Those are the last earbuds I bought (last autumn for $199 on Massdrop - ended up around $260 with import taxes and customs fees to Sweden) and I'm amazed at how good they are. Not 100% my prefered sound signature but I'll definitely hold on to them.

I felt I had to step in because of the generic earbuds shell comment. All of the best sounding earbuds I've heard fall into that category (perhaps MX980/985 is the only exception).

I'm with the family in Japan again like last year (no meeting Herry of Cypherus this year, though).
I was interested in the new ATH CM2000TI and was thinking of buying a pair. I got an opportunity to listen to them at the e earphone store in Akihabara in Tokyo.
Man, was I disappointed. Hollow and metallic sounding. The soundstage might have had some depth, but felt narrow. I have previously owned both CM7 and CM700 and from memory they sounded better.
50 000 yen for something like that?

I compared directly to my pair of Cypherus CampFred 2 that I had with me and that felt like how music should sound like. With warmth, dynamics, more details, no metallic sound.

Either the pair at e earphone was defective or ATH tuned the sound very strange.
I left Akihabara with just a new pair of earpads for my ATH ES10 headphones.

If you can get good sound and custom shells, great. But I prefer to go just by sound. In my experience mainly tiny earbuds DIY boutiques put the main focus on that aspect.

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #43,902 of 75,149
When I can see what we can achieve with just some good DIY, selling earbuds over 150$ is just pure fool.
Personally I won't buy anymore any earbuds passed that limit.
My latest custom MX500 prototype with my just received 130 ohm Beryllium drivers are the best earbuds I listened to date.

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #43,903 of 75,149
When I can see what we can achieve with just some good DIY, selling earbuds over 150$ is just pure fool.
Personally I won't buy anymore any earbuds passed that limit.
My latest custom MX500 prototype with my just received 130 ohm Beryllium drivers are the best earbuds I listened to date.
Concur, though the way I solder I would bump that up to just shy of USD $175 for a nicely finished product!

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #43,904 of 75,149

Shozy Cygnus seems to be sold at the following site.
https://penonaudio.com/earphones/earbuds/shozy-cygnus.html

Or DIY SR2 16 ohms (the second of "color:" at the following site) is also recommended and cheap. However, this requires more than 100 hours of burn-in.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32801646835.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back