Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 29, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #43,801 of 75,293
Jul 30, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #43,803 of 75,293
Any decent upgrade to Edifier 180?
I can't use in ear.
I was thinking of maybe TY Hi-Z HP32 2.0 or RY45+ 32 ohm. I like the thick mmcx cables so maybe an ear bud with mmcx connections. Any suggestions? Budget about 20$.
I've ordered ~10 cheap buds recently, one of which was the H180. For me, it falls in the middle of the pack, despite being one of the few that cost me over $10 for a pair. I'd recommend either the TY Hi-Z HP32 or Fengru TC200. Both have a wide soundstage like the H180, but with better clarity... and, to me, more enjoyable signatures. The TY is very V-shaped with amazing, visceral sub-bass and piercing highs, with mids taking a backseat. The Fengru is rather balanced with just a touch of a V-shape, but doesn't have a lot of bass. By comparison to either of those, I find the H180 kind of boomy on the low end and lacking in treble clarity. As for the RY4S, I'm finding it to share a lot of the TY's signature but lacking the low-end punch, so I'd probably start with the TY instead.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #43,804 of 75,293
Any decent upgrade to Edifier 180?
I can't use in ear.
I was thinking of maybe TY Hi-Z HP32 2.0 or RY45+ 32 ohm. I like the thick mmcx cables so maybe an ear bud with mmcx connections. Any suggestions? Budget about 20$.

I highly recommend the RY4S PLUS MMCX. It sounds great and is not bass light.

I do NOT recommend the DIY MX500 MMCX that I also bought. That one was bass light and for me to say that is unusual. @HungryPanda felt the same about his pair so he put new drivers in his and in mine. He said the installed drivers were very cheap looking.

We both like our RY4S PLUS MMCX and have put nice cables on them.

Jul 30, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #43,805 of 75,293
Well this is weird. Tried to order the snow lotus' with my card, payment failed. Tried again, same thing. Tried to order the RY's since the seller accepts paypal. Payment eventually went through after processing for a few mins, but the order still says closed on my aliexpress account.

First time ever using aliexpress. Is this a normal thing? Any ideas how to fix the issue with paying with my debit card?

Try a different browser. I can never get my orders to go through with Chrome on Mac. Safari is just fine.

Jul 30, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #43,806 of 75,293
Jul 30, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #43,808 of 75,293
Jul 30, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #43,809 of 75,293
Ah, right.
Have you tried the 300? Someone upthread said your hubby has both.

He does. I rarely listen to his stuff. Difficult enough to give enough time to my own.

Jul 30, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #43,810 of 75,293
Jul 30, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #43,811 of 75,293
OK, hopefully he'll pass on his thoughts.

He has gone in for a couple of 12 hour day shifts .

If you are interested just get them...is that not what we do here:)

Jul 30, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #43,812 of 75,293
He has gone in for a couple of 12 hour day shifts .

If you are interested just get them...is that not what we do here:)
Indeed it is!
But I find I get better results if I do a bit of research, and Mr Panda's insights have proved to be helpful in the past.
I'm happy to hear from anyone who has listened to them.

Jul 30, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #43,813 of 75,293
All I know is that he likes the RY4S MMCX 300 ohm. Are they necessary for someone who already has many? Doubtful. Do you have any higher impedance buds? Do you have many mmcx buds? I have these three and am considering another.

Top left - DIY MX500 MMCX - silver - replaced drivers with Fengru LCK1410, because the ones they came with had poor tonality and anemic bass. The replacement drivers have made them sound really good now. Replacement done by @HungryPanda .

Top right - RY4S MMCX PLUS - black - sound great to me

Bottom - YMHFPJ DIY MMCX - that was what it was named on the sellers site. This one uses the same shell as the RY4C which is very comfortable to me and also sound great to me

various balanced cables

R0015094.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #43,814 of 75,293
Got a box of goodies from NiceHCK last night, including the ME80, and it seems like a winner right out of the box. Only mild complaint is that the mid bass can get a very little bit bloated, but this is before any burn in, or messing with different types of foams.

I'm going to have to do some head to head comparisons with the ME80 vs. Yincrow RW-9, since I bought them for basically the same price, and both are good as heck.

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #43,815 of 75,293
All I know is that he likes them. Are they necessary for someone who already has many? Doubtful. Do you have any higher impedance buds? Do you have many mmcx buds? I have these three and am considering another.

Top left - DIY MX500 MMCX - silver - replaced drivers with Fengru LCK1410, because the ones they came with had poor tonality and anemic bass. The replacement drivers have made them sound really good now.

Top right - RY4S MMCX - black - sound great to me

Bottom - YMHFPJ DIY MMCX - that was what it was named on the sellers site. This one uses the same shell as the RY4C which is very comfortable to me and also sound great to me

various balanced cables

Thanks for the pictures and your impressions.

The highest impedance buds I have are (I think) the TY HP150 but I don't rate them very highly. IME thus far I haven't found a correlation between impedance and sound quality. The only MMCX buds I have are the **** PT25 which again are just OK to me.

But neither of these technical factors are particularly of interest to me per se. It's been said that the RY4S MMCX buds are supposed to be better than the originals and I just wanted hear some other views from those that have tried them. I don't 'need' (not that it matters!) any more but am always on the lookout for the next budget king.

Having said that I still have the Ourart Ti7 burning a hole in my basket... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back