Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 22, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #41,671 of 75,289
Most likely a misalignment of the center pin / socket. There is a way to somewhat fix it (using a small forceps to slowly clamp down the center socket, which I have done on Shure SE215 a few years back) though I really won't recommend doing it yourself since you are covered by warranty.
Here are two photos and a video of the Smabat including repair gone wrong.
Youtube Video for Samabat's engineering department:

Smabat 2.jpg
Smabat left earpiece.jpg

The I tightened the MMCX connector in the earpiece with a small screwdriver and very carefully. I made zero difference, although it was visibly tighter. I then did it less cautiously and it broke off (2nd photo): now it is completley dead. In the end it did not make any difference: a $110 earbud that does not work is no good...says the reviewer.

That will be an interesting review of a dead earbud :wink:...that's what I told Smabat.

Apr 22, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #41,673 of 75,289
EB57.jpg

ZEVA SuperFire
ZEVA Snow 2.0
Yincrow RW-100

Apr 22, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #41,674 of 75,289
That will be an interesting review of a dead earbud :wink:...that's what I told Smabat.

Hence why I don't recommend a DIY repair. From what I know, Smabat already changed the MMCX socket on the new batch of ST-10 as there are reports of socket's tolerance issue and are offering exchange.

Apr 22, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #41,676 of 75,289
In that case, I can add them to my wishlist and wait to see how much those new Yincrows cost :D (I have to bulk up my orders to save on customs - in Sweden it's 75SEK/$8 plus VAT, regardless how big the order is, so all those awesomely cheap earbuds that cost $5 end up costing more than double...)

Edit: here's the Taobao link for those new Yincrows. Look to be about $30 ish. Exciting.

The URL of "NiceHCK DIY PK2" first recommended by @DBaldock9 is "https://www.aliexpress.com/item//32801437048.html" and it is no longer sold as you can see.
Since the Docomo Driver was used in this version 1 and 2, the sound quality seemed to be good and the reputation was great.

It is "Shozy Cygnus" that Docomo Driver is used in Earbuds sold now, and it has the feature that the sparkling treble is wonderful and the bass is reinforced enough with the glued donut pads . The URL is "https://penonaudio.com/earphones/earbuds/shozy-cygnus.html", which is somewhat expensive Earbuds.
I recommend this Earbuds.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #41,677 of 75,289
The set of NiceHCK branded PK2s I bought look like this photo, but I suspect the driver is probably the same as in the Pandas.

It is kinda confusing as Z&W Panda was sold in China as Z&W PK2s, but it is a different earbud from NiceHCK DIY PK2. Panda is 32ohm and DIY PK2 is about 16ohm, so electronically they are already two different driver.

Apr 22, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #41,678 of 75,289
The URL of "NiceHCK DIY PK2" first recommended by @DBaldock9 is "https://www.aliexpress.com/item//32801437048.html" and it is no longer sold as you can see.
Since the Docomo Driver was used in this version 1 and 2, the sound quality seemed to be good and the reputation was great.

It is "Shozy Cygnus" that Docomo Driver is used in Earbuds sold now, and it has the feature that the sparkling treble is wonderful and the bass is reinforced enough with the glued donut pads . The URL is "https://penonaudio.com/earphones/earbuds/shozy-cygnus.html", which is somewhat expensive Earpads.
I recommend this Earpads.

It is kinda confusing as Z&W Panda was sold in China as Z&W PK2s, but it is a different earbud from NiceHCK DIY PK2. Panda is 32ohm and DIY PK2 is about 16ohm, so electronically they are already two different driver.

Perhaps I should just get something with a PK shell and be happy instead. I won't be opening them up in a hurry, that's for sure.

Apr 22, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #41,679 of 75,289
Apr 22, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #41,680 of 75,289
Apr 22, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #41,681 of 75,289
Apr 22, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #41,683 of 75,289
Those of you with the ST-10 and a better amp/source, does the ST-10 benefit from it?

I do like the sound but I only use my phone for a source. Surprisingly even with it being rated 45Ω (115db sensitivity), it's louder than my ACG rated at 32Ω (122db sensitivity).

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #41,684 of 75,289
Those of you with the ST-10 and a better amp/source, does the ST-10 benefit from it?

I do like the sound but I only use my phone for a source. Surprisingly even with it being rated 45Ω (115db sensitivity), it's louder than my ACG rated at 32Ω (122db sensitivity).

With my sources (my desktop dac/amp and a couple of daps with good power output) the ST-10 sounds like full sized headphones to me. I am using the stock cable and full foams. Loudness is not the only consideration. Something can be loud enough and yet not driven to its potential.

Have not tried it with a phone because I choose not to own a smartphone. Don't need one.

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #41,685 of 75,289
With my sources (my desktop dac/amp and a couple of daps with good power output) the ST-10 sounds like full sized headphones to me. I am using the stock cable and full foams. Loudness is not the only consideration. Something can be loud enough and yet not driven to its potential.

Have not tried it with a phone because I choose not to own a smartphone. Don't need one.

That's what I'm trying to get at. Trying to figure out if the detail, transparancy, separation, etc. benefit from a better source/amping.

... and I just remembered the word I was looking for, does it 'scale'?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back