Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 8, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #41,269 of 75,540
Well, niceHCK replied, now it's confusion about whether the earbud is correct or not. This is what happens when every earbud out there has identical shells -_-
Just show him a picture with the impedance measured?

Apr 8, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #41,272 of 75,540
Lol the ry4c that I ordered last month finally arrived, along with VERY porous foam that I ordered way earlier (also shipped using sunyou).

I don't know anybody would want this kind of music reproduction but it's like hearing bandwidth limited AM radio (in stereo). The only qualities that resemble ry4s is the bass IMO. It's not bad, but buy fake she3800 for the money instead. Maybe it's better with bright sounding source? I don't know for sure because my sources are either balance or slightly warmer.

I might use the cable for something else or gift the earbud to my nieces / nephews.

I tried the very porous foam because I wanted to retrieve some details that's missing from ry4s + normal foams. I did get the details that I wanted but the problem is bass suffers like not wearing any foam at all. I still haven't found good use for this foam yet. I might try with some other bud to test which matches better.

Cheers

Apr 8, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #41,273 of 75,540
I'm sure that in this long thread, what I'm going to write has already been commented on.
But lately I'm verifying that the sound of the earbuds depends a lot on the design of its capsule. In my opinion, earbuds with a PK capsule sound practically the same to me throughout their lower area. I find the differences in the mids and treble. Especially (and except the ISN Rambo), their middle zone sounds very muddy to me, due to the enhancement they have between 400Hz and 1kHz. It is not that they are earbuds with a big punch in the lower zone. In a small size, only the 1More EO320 are left over from bass, while the Qian39 are not left behind either.

PK2 Earbuds.png

Then there are cases of similar, thick capsules, such as Toneking Musicmaker or Ourart Ti7, whose bass are quite light. But this feeling is not reflected in the frequency responses. And really, when I press the Ti7s lightly against my ears, the bass increases greatly. I'm sure we've all experienced that feeling.

Our Art Ti7 vs QianYun Qian39.png

Perhaps the capsule that allows the most variation is the classic MX500, or maybe it's simply because it's the most used capsule, which is why there are so many differences. But then we go back to the graphs and the lower zone is very similar.

MX500.png

Ergo...Maybe my measurement system is wrong, because it is unable to reflect how we actually hear earbuds.

But it is true that the shape of the capsule conditions the final sound of each earbud.

Recently I received a hope: I can't deny that I'm an absolute fan of IEMs, but I don't refuse another kind of sound like the one provided by earbuds. The shape of the Smabat ST-10 gives me a sound that I consider to be as close to an IEM as I have been able to hear. I love that feeling.

Smabat ST-10 vs Edifier H180.png

Apr 8, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #41,274 of 75,540
Earbud set-up at work today -
Wong Kuan Wae modified and re-cabled Vido earbuds
Little Bear B4-X Dual Mono Tube Amp (w/OPA627AU op-amps)
Onkyo DP-X1 DAP (running Neutron Music Player)
IMG_20190408_151132.jpg

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #41,275 of 75,540
Earbud set-up at work today -
Wong Kuan Wae modified and re-cabled Vido earbuds
Little Bear B4-X Dual Mono Tube Amp (w/OPA627AU op-amps)
Onkyo DP-X1 DAP (running Neutron Music Player)

Yeah... I'm sure you're getting a lot of work done lol!

Nice rig :)

Apr 8, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #41,276 of 75,540
Well, niceHCK replied, now it's confusion about whether the earbud is correct or not. This is what happens when every earbud out there has identical shells
I'm rather amused by this. Dozens of companies making hundreds of earbud models that all look alike and hard to tell apart. Even the same company might have several models that are almost identical. Too much stagnation and not enough innovation.

Apr 8, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #41,278 of 75,540
Apr 8, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #41,280 of 75,540
Then there are cases of similar, thick capsules, such as Toneking Musicmaker or Ourart Ti7, whose bass are quite light. But this feeling is not reflected in the frequency responses. And really, when I press the Ti7s lightly against my ears, the bass increases greatly. I'm sure we've all experienced that feeling.

@cqtek I guess it must be because of the lack of seal. How well the shape of the earbud housing seats has a large effect on how low end is transmitted to our ear drum.

I now double foam (offset donut) my ACG and with EQ have a decent amount of bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back