Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 2, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #35,971 of 75,248
09154F22-D9F9-46AF-BAB4-8EE4B26B6918.jpeg
Please keep theology out of earbud discussions, or else I will let the Norse God of thunder Tor let thunder and lightning pour down on this thread! ( No, not the silly Marvel character, the real stuff!)

Theoretically speaking, the Poseidon cable is truly adorable!

Oct 2, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #35,972 of 75,248
How are the k's samsara compared to blurs? And do the blurs have any high impedance models

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #35,973 of 75,248
And while we're at it, we should only buy MX500 shell earbuds that come from Sennheiser.

I did talk to a senior executive of shozy! Their pk type shell is in the public domain, which means everyone can use it. Nevertheless, I don’t know anything about shell of MX500.

As a end user, or consumer, it’s hard to know whether a product, or its parts, is violating any kind of laws!

Oct 2, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #35,974 of 75,248
ClieOS used to have a great list in the first post of this thread but removed it since people complained to him if they bought a pair of earbuds that he placed high and didn't like it. That's annoying and just stupid so you cannot blame ClieOS for removing the list.

1 year ago @jogawag ceated an earbud survey. It is closed now but over 100 people replied and rated the earbuds they had heard. From that survey you could get an okay idea about some earbuds (based on people's subjective perception of them).

Then there are head fiers who make their own lists on their profile pages. I've got a top 10 (well, top 8) of my favorite earbuds that I currently own. I have not yet included Blox TM9 but it will end up high in the list.

I found that list, I think, I used it to get a couple of buds, I can understand why, they probably didn't like bright or dark signatures, I bought my ty hi z off of that list and am pretty happy with them, I think the list was good but if it had indicated the sound signatures it would have worked better, my problem is every time I get excited on some totl buds and get ready to order, I read a review saying they are missing this freq, or have too much of that freq, basically same list but next to the score it can have a b for bassheavy or n for neutral, v for vshaped sound, b for bright

Because I would like a pair of totl buds but I don't like very bright, need some good sub bass, so far got my sights on k's samsara and k's 500 ohm waiting for 11/11

Oct 2, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #35,975 of 75,248
I did talk to a senior executive of shozy! Their pk type shell is in the public domain, which means everyone can use it. Nevertheless, I don’t know anything about shell of MX500.

As a end user, or consumer, it’s hard to know whether a product, or its parts, is violating any kind of laws!

Yuin has been using those shells since around 2006 or 2007 and MX500 type shells have been used by Blox since 2010, there might be other makers who have used them before. So I think the MX500 type shells also are in the public domain. Sennheiser haven't used them for over 10 years now.

I found that list, I think, I used it to get a couple of buds, I can understand why, they probably didn't like bright or dark signatures, I bought my ty hi z off of that list and am pretty happy with them, I think the list was good but if it had indicated the sound signatures it would have worked better, my problem is every time I get excited on some totl buds and get ready to order, I read a review saying they are missing this freq, or have too much of that freq, basically same list but next to the score it can have a b for bassheavy or n for neutral, v for vshaped sound, b for bright

Because I would like a pair of totl buds but I don't like very bright, need some good sub bass, so far got my sights on k's samsara and k's 500 ohm waiting for 11/11

If I had time I could try to create something, since I have heard most low impedance TOTL earbuds (I gave up on high impedance since I didn't want to bother with portable amps etc).

Personally I found the upper mids on K's 500 ohm to be a bit fatiguing (that was before I gave up on high impedance earbuds) and felt I could not keep them.

Cypherus ZoomFred might fit your preference perfectly. They have the best sub bass I've heard in a pair of earbuds (well, except for Red Dragon) but are not bass head earbuds. They have slightly too much bass though to be called neutral but I still do not think they are bass head earbuds.

Oct 2, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #35,976 of 75,248
Yuin has been using those shells since around 2006 or 2007 and MX500 type shells have been used by Blox since 2010, there might be other makers who have used them before. So I think the MX500 type shells also are in the public domain. Sennheiser haven't used them for over 10 years now.

If I had time I could try to create something, since I have heard most low impedance TOTL earbuds (I gave up on high impedance since I didn't want to bother with portable amps etc).

Personally I found the upper mids on K's 500 ohm to be a bit fatiguing (that was before I gave up on high impedance earbuds) and felt I could not keep them.

Cypherus ZoomFred might fit your preference perfectly. They have the best sub bass I've heard in a pair of earbuds (well, except for Red Dragon) but are not bass head earbuds. They have slightly too much bass though to be called neutral but I still do not think they are bass head earbuds.

Yea I am in the market mainly for high impedance, but that sounds like what I want, I like warm neutral

Oct 2, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #35,977 of 75,248
After trying the VE Zen, high impedance earbuds are kinda great... so much so I'm thinking of investing in a decent desktop D/A. Since I don't use earbuds when I'm out and about anyway, due to the lack of isolation.

That being said, the SWD2+ @ 16/32ohms are great too! But, I'm definitely looking at higher impedance earbuds moving forward...

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #35,978 of 75,248
Oct 2, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #35,979 of 75,248
Damn, didn't know there was going to be a low impedance version of the K's Titanium Ling so never paid attention to it's discussion. Anyone know how low?

What kind of sound profile will the Titanium Ling have?

Metal housing?

A large sum of money recently departed my bank account for some TOTL buds, hope it wasn't premature...

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #35,981 of 75,248
what category do you have in mind? price based?

i think someone did make a survey of earbuds segmented in price and filled via data entries from people here (if I'm not mistaken @jogawag was the one that made it?)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...1GewDzZ4k7aXFMEQNhRu7Vxg3C-9Q2A/viewanalytics

i think it would be great if this survey is made continuously open and be put on the first page of this thread so anyone can contribute and use it

I'd see what I can do :)
Hope you guys can assist.

Oct 2, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #35,983 of 75,248

I once saw a version of that list that did include a note about sound signature. I am happy with what I chose from that list.

Wait, what? Wasnt it supposed to be metal?

The EB2 is metal.

Oct 2, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #35,984 of 75,248
I once saw a version of that list that did include a note about sound signature. I am happy with what I chose from that list.

The EB2 is metal.

Any copies of said list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back