Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 11, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #34,666 of 75,861
How is the Monk Lite 120ohm? Plus $14 from the normal Monk Lite I feel it's abit too much
I actually like it a lot, the smaller shell works better for me, usually prefer Yuin style. I am running it with the Odyssey as well. For $35 shipped both items hard to go wrong.
0911180911.jpg

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #34,667 of 75,861
Can people actually sleep with a bud with the emx500 shell? Mine would be on the pillow in no time... or around my neck

I'm not exactly sure why, but for me the emx500 shells are uncomfortable to sleep with, whereas I can (and do) sleep with the graphenes. I think they shell sizes are comparable, but the graphene stems are a bit thinner, which might be what makes the difference for me.

Btw, thank goodness my better half is trained to accept buds stuffed into my ears when I go to sleep, because I don't think I could sleep very well without them. When nothing is playing, they block out a bit of sound which I find helpful. But when higher volume sound wakes me up and really annoys me (damned cat for example, or better half getting up early to go to work), I just press the power button on my X3 and a few seconds later the trance goodness is soothing me to sleep again :)

Edit: I'll have to try the monk lites for sleeping with - they might have the perfect size shell/stems.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #34,669 of 75,861
Careful... if expectations are pumped too high there will always be people who are disappointed. There always are...with everything:)
True - I was kinda cautious & tight lipped yesterday though....to be fair! lol - maybe being initially underwhelmed was a good sign...akin to not really digging a vinyl LP on first listen...which later transforms into a future classic with repeated plays!

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #34,670 of 75,861
I'm not exactly sure why, but for me the emx500 shells are uncomfortable to sleep with, whereas I can (and do) sleep with the graphenes. I think they shell sizes are comparable, but the graphene stems are a bit thinner, which might be what makes the difference for me.

Btw, thank goodness my better half is trained to accept buds stuffed into my ears when I go to sleep, because I don't think I could sleep very well without them. When nothing is playing, they block out a bit of sound which I find helpful. But when higher volume sound wakes me up and really annoys me (damned cat for example, or better half getting up early to go to work), I just press the power button on my X3 and a few seconds later the trance goodness is soothing me to sleep again :)

Edit: I'll have to try the monk lites for sleeping with - they might have the perfect size shell/stems.

I use soft foam earplugs for that but I try not to use them if I have had iems in my ears all evening already.

I highly recommend these. I am an expert on sleeping with earplugs. I had to in high school because of dogs howling at the moon. Had to in college because of roommates and dorm noises. By then I was addicted to them and I lived on a main road for many years in Michigan.
None of the earplugs I had back then were as good and neither are the ones my husband can get at work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moldex-780...8-1&keywords=Moldex+7800+Spark+Plugs+Earplugs

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #34,673 of 75,861
I use soft foam earplugs for that but I try not to use them if I have had iems in my ears all evening already.

I highly recommend these. I am an expert on sleeping with earplugs. I had to in high school because of dogs howling at the moon. Had to in college because of roommates and dorm noises. By then I was addicted to them and I lived on a main road for many years in Michigan.
None of the earplugs I had back then were as good and neither are the ones my husband can get at work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moldex-780...8-1&keywords=Moldex+7800+Spark+Plugs+Earplugs

But, where's the cable? Where's the trance? Just kidding - thanks for the tip. I might snag some.

Btw, before discovering "sleeping with buds", I used to use foam earplugs. I found though that I was getting ear infections often, and I think that it was maybe due to lack of air flow. Once I discovered iems, I then tried sleeping them, but I had the same problem. With earbuds though, my ears stay happy.

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #34,674 of 75,861
- Just realised I meant the Snow Lotus 1.0 White (- awesome @ £7.61) - chose them for the cool transparent shells & light cable!

Looks like a nice cable. The shell is like my Faaeal Rosemary but my cable, while black, is not braided like yours.

Sep 11, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #34,675 of 75,861
But, where's the cable? Where's the trance? Just kidding - thanks for the tip. I might snag some.

Btw, before discovering "sleeping with buds", I used to use foam earplugs. I found though that I was getting ear infections often, and I think that it was maybe due to lack of air flow. Once I discovered iems, I then tried sleeping them, but I had the same problem. With earbuds though, my ears stay happy.

Just make sure it is that exact model of ear plug if you can get them. And throw them away every few days. Some people would say everyday but who does that. I know of people using ear plugs to make iem tips:)

Sep 11, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #34,678 of 75,861
Looks like a nice cable. The shell is like my Faaeal Rosemary but my cable, while black, is not braided like yours.
Reviews seem to suggest they have a dark sound signature? - might order some for their quantity of bass & sub-bass! - plus it seems like £15 is the sweet spot! haha

Sep 11, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #34,680 of 75,861
Cheers guys! I checked out a couple that were suggested;
- the Edifier is priced low, is it that good?
- emx500 on Amazon is through a Singapore seller.
- Snow Lotus 2.0 and Datura X are again cheap options, I'd be willing to spend up to $200.
- Linsoul BLD says high impedance and I will typically be using these directly with my cellphone or Kujira (cheap lossless portable player).

I should also mentioned that I picked up some VE Monk earbuds a few months back and they are just not in the same league as the Yuin PK3.

Edit. Yes thanks I'll the FS forums but I'll be honest... kinda grosses me out a bit.

Is this a new phenomenon or something? Are earbuds a new thing? Why haven't they made it state-side yet?
They are just more popular in Asia it seems, but they are becoming more popular recently, regardless of location.

Look, the simphonio d2+ on massdrop for $200 (rrp $310) is a high end earbud. I'm not gonna just say get it, but it's going to be easy to resell at that price if you ever needed too.

But its too high quality to use as a beater bud, a sleeping bud etc. And consisering what your cat did to the pk3... I'd be very cautious of spending over$50 in your situation lol...

I wouldn't be too grossed out, they dont insert into the ear canal like iems so its not like they will be getting waxy lol

Also most people use foams from day one so they aren't actually touching the shell off their ear. Plus a simple clean with an antibactieral wipe would do the job.

Be sure to look at pictures in the FS section to see what the condition is, some people sell buds in like new condition for fair prices. Worth a shot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back