Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 27, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #32,401 of 75,871
there are some earbuds that people have claimed to provide a “headphone like experience”. Which earbud would you all say is the best one that does that?
From all the earbuds i have heard the most resembling headphone is the CAX Red dragon. I still cannot forget how that earbuds sound like that. There are only 1 Red Dragon in the world currently and they are in the hands of Mr Danneq.

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #32,402 of 75,871
In the interest of full disclosure, Cypherus Audio is hands down my favorite earbud manufacturer (though it is really just one guy). All the models are different, but to me their products consistently come as close to full sized cans in terms of soundstage and detail as could be expected in an earbud. Not sure what other earbuds you are looking at, but you can look at my profile for a (relatively) up to date list of other stuff I have and don't listen to that often, and I can be more specific if there is something you are considering.

The ZoomFred was initially too bright for me, but the highs have mellowed over time. It took a long, long time too.......... Herry did say that extended burn in is needed for these because of some properties of the cable. (?) Great placement of instruments and really satisfying bass. The cable is weird though. The part between the splitter and connector looks like an ethernet cable. It is also a bit heavy. I do like the different colored wires that make it easy to distinguish left and right. They are revealing and really need a good recording, good DAC, and good amp to do them justice.

If you are looking for buds for portable use, I'd recommend the CampFred 2 over the ZoomFred. I listen to the CampFred 2 more than any of the other buds I have (and more than my full sized cans because I'm rarely home these days). You could also try Blue Darth first if you are new to CAX products and want to get some idea of their house sound before putting down bigger $ for ZoomFred.

I hope this helps!
For likeable sound signature i still prefer campfred 1. But in term of detail and sounstage the zoomfred is still the best in herry regular line up. But even the zoomfred it self and many other totl earbuds are no match for CAX Red Dragon. That thing is in a class of its own.

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #32,403 of 75,871
Thanks for your kindness.

1 I’m an audiophile playing with cables for 30+ years. Powercord, interconnect, digital, speaker cable, all internal cables inside the hifi!

2 the first earbuds that I bought 30 years ago has Litz class 1 lc-ofc ( which is similar to the litz occ copper)!

I knew how important the cable is. Actually when I read pages in this thread, a $5 monk upgraded with great cable become a TOTL. The Shozy Bk uses a common shell with an ordinary diaphragm with superior cable to get great TOTL sound.
What could be special in cables that affects the sound and is there any proof (e.g. changed frequency graph) that one could see? If yes, could anyone show such changed frequency graph?
Shozy stated that BK uses the smallest driver of the world, so it's different to others and not just an ordinary diaphragm. I also can't imagine how Shozy BK's cable could turn something that's not even near the champions to a champions bud.

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #32,404 of 75,871
@kurtextrem : Cross Lambda ever showed me FR graphs when swapping cables. I don't think you will get an answer by keep asking people here. The pseudo ears FR measurement device is not cheap. The higher price the better accuracy and better functions they are. Perhaps you might buy such kind of this device and find answer by yourselves when you go to audio shows such as CANJAM, or etc.

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #32,405 of 75,871
In the interest of full disclosure, Cypherus Audio is hands down my favorite earbud manufacturer (though it is really just one guy). All the models are different, but to me their products consistently come as close to full sized cans in terms of soundstage and detail as could be expected in an earbud. Not sure what other earbuds you are looking at, but you can look at my profile for a (relatively) up to date list of other stuff I have and don't listen to that often, and I can be more specific if there is something you are considering.

The ZoomFred was initially too bright for me, but the highs have mellowed over time. It took a long, long time too.......... Herry did say that extended burn in is needed for these because of some properties of the cable. (?) Great placement of instruments and really satisfying bass. The cable is weird though. The part between the splitter and connector looks like an ethernet cable. It is also a bit heavy. I do like the different colored wires that make it easy to distinguish left and right. They are revealing and really need a good recording, good DAC, and good amp to do them justice.

If you are looking for buds for portable use, I'd recommend the CampFred 2 over the ZoomFred. I listen to the CampFred 2 more than any of the other buds I have (and more than my full sized cans because I'm rarely home these days). You could also try Blue Darth first if you are new to CAX products and want to get some idea of their house sound before putting down bigger $ for ZoomFred.

I hope this helps!

Looking at your inventory, as high end models, I have the Samsara and the Blur 300. I basically want a Blur with Samsara's bass but lately I have come to favor the Toneking TO400s over the Blurs, so I guess now its the TO400s with Samsara's bass. As I understood when you order the ZoomFred you can ask for it to be tuned a bit to your linking, is that true?

I am interested on how their product lineup improves when you move up in price and if its worth investing. I once read that the Blue Darth is a bit muddy and overly dark but there arent really that many reviews of his products out there :frowning2:
I just want to make the right decision as I need to sell almost all of my earbuds to afford one of their products.

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #32,406 of 75,871
I'm afraid to ask, but how much do you think that is going to cost you?

The most expensive one is the mmcx cable. I’m planning to first get a second hand good model listed above. It might cost me us$600-800!

The head of most earbuds are not that expensive. Indeed, I can get someone to transfer the normal one into mmcx, if needed!

This will be a very interesting exercise! Sony did this long time ago. For example, Sony used mdr e212, 222, 232, 242, 252, 262, 272, 282, 424, 434, 444, 454, 464, 484...Sony use different diaphragm, cables, plugs, internal materials, designs to cook the sound signature.

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #32,407 of 75,871
From all the earbuds i have heard the most resembling headphone is the CAX Red dragon. I still cannot forget how that earbuds sound like that. There are only 1 Red Dragon in the world currently and they are in the hands of Mr Danneq.

It seems to me that CAX red dragon uses Nordost cable for it! ( just the feel of the cable)

Seriously, I’m thinking of getting a mmcx version and than unplug the cable for ebx, ps100-600, and Sara pro!

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #32,408 of 75,871
UCOTECH never did earbuds mmcx model, and I afraid the next coming model is still not detachable type. To buy UCOTECH products, you might try to contact the admin of UCOTECH fb page.

By the way, Last Satarday, The oBravo 2018 IEM cable contest was held by oBravo and K Studio in Thailnand. I find that one candidate making unique-appearance cables for earbuds. Take a look~

Source : https://www.facebook.com/obravothai/posts/230259867705764

Me thinks mmcx is the most environmental friendly way to play with earbuds head!

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #32,409 of 75,871
I basically want a Blur with Samsara's bass but lately I have come to favor the Toneking TO400s over the Blurs, so I guess now its the TO400s with Samsara's bass.
What's your opinion of the TO400? I've had mine for a couple of weeks. I find that it provides very good detail and resolution, but the overall sound is bright and completely lacking in bass.

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #32,410 of 75,871
What's your opinion of the TO400? I've had mine for a couple of weeks. I find that it provides very good detail and resolution, but the overall sound is bright and completely lacking in bass.

Yes the sound is indeed on the bright side but imo not that much, and I wouldnt say the bass is weak but rather neutral; compared to other earbuds its definitely there. I have not have played around with foams too much but I found that the donuts improve the bass a bit.

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #32,411 of 75,871
there are some earbuds that people have claimed to provide a “headphone like experience”. Which earbud would you all say is the best one that does that?
For me that would be the Blur White Chocolate. Wong certainly knows how make great sounding ‘buds!

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #32,412 of 75,871

I only listened to the TO400 briefly, but from what i remembered the sound is more dark/warmish with good treble detail, not too bright

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #32,413 of 75,871
I really like the Toneking TO400, well built and designed. Sounds great amped. Comes with a nice cable. Bass is actually rather good, mid and highs are on the good side with good clarity

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #32,414 of 75,871
I really like the Toneking TO400, well built and designed. Sounds great amped. Comes with a nice cable. Bass is actually rather good, mid and highs are on the good side with good clarity
I agree. I see similarities to the Penon BS1. I think a few pages back Sean compared TO400s vs Penon BS1. For me (EDM, German Rap and Gaming) TO400s > Penon BS1 > Shozy BK.

Jun 27, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #32,415 of 75,871
Deleted

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back