Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 7, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #31,922 of 75,870
may I ask how you are tuning them inside the shell? Any standard methods you’re using? Sounds interesting.
Sure...

I am working with the characteristics of the earphone. I test the effects of plugging certain vents to see what kind of effect it has on the sound, then start playing with that. When it gets to the inside I take a look to see what kind of foams are present inside. I also experiment with stuffing the cavity with fiber (I picked this up from speaker building). Depending on the configuration sometimes the stuffing in a speaker can make the volume of the box seem bigger than it is. I have found that it can open up the soundstage, tame mid-highs, with too much stuffing reduce bass... If I don't like a particular aspect of the sound signature I try to pinpoint the corresponding physical element that can affect it, then play from there. Each pair is different in effect. With my Graphenes from Nicehck I couldn't stand the big mid hump... it was muddy and annoying. I gave up on them for a while then took another stab. Right now I have the two larger of the 5 vents on each shell plugged and have settled on think full foams. I also drilled a small hole in the middle of the front face to open up the highs. The result is something that is much more balanced. It doesn't have the sub bass extension my Seahf 64 or HE 150 has (slight L-shaped sound sig), but the forward low-mids/mids have been recessed nicely. Mid/low bass is nice and tight (the muddiness is mostly gone). There is a bit more high-end sparkle (I may try to open the holes a bit more) and overall the buds are now quite enjoyable. The detail and separation of the Graphenes, but with a more neutral balance between low-mid-high/tone that I like. When working this way it is about juggling balance and compromise.

On other pairs, I've experimented with drilling small holes to extend bass (kind of like ported subs) with some success (but when you port my understanding is you lose accuracy).

I'm trying to 'make-do' with the driver that is provided. Ideally, you find a driver with certain characteristics that you desire and build/tune the enclosure to match/bring out the best qualities of the driver... not the other way around (which is kind of what I'm doing)... in my limited experience.

edit - incidentally i found the extra hole in the center of the front cover for the Graphenes rolled the treble a bit... go figure. Plugged it back up and we are good 8)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #31,923 of 75,870
Mine have ‘treble’ but I don’t think I’m sensitive to it and it’s less sharp than the DIY Grapene, another graphene bud I do consider very bright before I modded it.

I find the graphene to be less sharp than the pt15's. But, we've always heard them differently.

Jun 8, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #31,925 of 75,870
Sure...

I am working with the characteristics of the earphone. I test the effects of plugging certain vents to see what kind of effect it has on the sound, then start playing with that. When it gets to the inside I take a look to see what kind of foams are present inside. I also experiment with stuffing the cavity with fiber (I picked this up from speaker building). Depending on the configuration sometimes the stuffing in a speaker can make the volume of the box seem bigger than it is. I have found that it can open up the soundstage, tame mid-highs, with too much stuffing reduce bass... If I don't like a particular aspect of the sound signature I try to pinpoint the corresponding physical element that can affect it, then play from there. Each pair is different in effect. With my Graphenes from Nicehck I couldn't stand the big mid hump... it was muddy and annoying. I gave up on them for a while then took another stab. Right now I have the two larger of the 5 vents on each shell plugged and have settled on think full foams. I also drilled a small hole in the middle of the front face to open up the highs. The result is something that is much more balanced. It doesn't have the sub bass extension my Seahf 64 or HE 150 has (slight L-shaped sound sig), but the forward low-mids/mids have been recessed nicely. Mid/low bass is nice and tight (the muddiness is mostly gone). There is a bit more high-end sparkle (I may try to open the holes a bit more) and overall the buds are now quite enjoyable. The detail and separation of the Graphenes, but with a more neutral balance between low-mid-high/tone that I like. When working this way it is about juggling balance and compromise.

On other pairs, I've experimented with drilling small holes to extend bass (kind of like ported subs) with some success (but when you port my understanding is you lose accuracy).

I'm trying to 'make-do' with the driver that is provided. Ideally, you find a driver with certain characteristics that you desire and build/tune the enclosure to match/bring out the best qualities of the driver... not the other way around (which is kind of what I'm doing)... in my limited experience.
That’s quite interesting and in my also limited diying I came to some similar conclusions. Especially with venting, too much of a change can result in a much more sloppy imaging and unfocused presentation. I tried filling the pk2 shell with loose cotton but the bass punch is lost, but it’s amazing how much more spacious the soundstage can get with the trick of filling a hollow shell (similar theory to the trick used in headphones I guess) so it could be useful for very bassy earbuds.

It’s funny we both did the same thing with our graphenes! I also put venting in the centre which seemed to control the bass much better and balance the sound. Although I’ve yet to try blocking the back ports, might test that out too!

Jun 8, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #31,926 of 75,870
That’s quite interesting and in my also limited diying I came to some similar conclusions. Especially with venting, too much of a change can result in a much more sloppy imaging and unfocused presentation. I tried filling the pk2 shell with loose cotton but the bass punch is lost, but it’s amazing how much more spacious the soundstage can get with the trick of filling a hollow shell (similar theory to the trick used in headphones I guess) so it could be useful for very bassy earbuds.

It’s funny we both did the same thing with our graphenes! I also put venting in the centre which seemed to control the bass much better and balance the sound. Although I’ve yet to try blocking the back ports, might test that out too!

Incidentally, I went back and plugged the center hole in my Graphene as I found the highs got a bit muddy/rolled. Now it is clear again. Perhaps just working with the ports in the back is enough...

I also put a hole in the center of my diy pk1 shell and that definitely opened up the highs, however, regardless of what I have tried I cannot seem to 'add' bass. (I really come to realise that I like 'full range' earphones/drivers. At least I can roll off bass. The opposite seems much more challenging. (If you're looking for a cheap pair to mess with the Seahf 64s are awesome! They are definitely bass extended and SUB'd! Was pretty easy to pull it in a bit and balance it with the nice relaxed mids-highs. Essentially slightly v-shaped with clarity and sparkle and the ability to reach deep.))

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #31,927 of 75,870
Incidentally, I went back and plugged the center hole as I found the highs got a bit muddy/rolled. Now it is clear again. Perhaps just working with the ports in the back is enough...
I used 3 tiny vents in the front, no bigger than the other vents in the front grille, didn't notice any degradation of the highs but ill test it later with some tape to block it.

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #31,929 of 75,870
hmmm... cool! keep us posted!
think i posted a pic lately of it but I’ll post it again later, it removes the bloated mid bass allowing me to use thick foams on the graphene without muddying the sound with excessive bass. That way I can smooth the treble and upper mids enough and have a more balanced sound.

Still not my favourite earbud, but a definite improvement over my stock graphene.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #31,930 of 75,870
With my Graphenes from Nicehck I couldn't stand the big mid hump... it was muddy and annoying. I gave up on them for a while then took another stab. Right now I have the two larger of the 5 vents on each shell plugged and have settled on think full foams. I also drilled a small hole in the middle of the front face to open up the highs. The result is something that is much more balanced. It doesn't have the sub bass extension my Seahf 64 or HE 150 has (slight L-shaped sound sig), but the forward low-mids/mids have been recessed nicely. Mid/low bass is nice and tight (the muddiness is mostly gone). There is a bit more high-end sparkle (I may try to open the holes a bit more) and overall the buds are now quite enjoyable. The detail and separation of the Graphenes, but with a more neutral balance between low-mid-high/tone that I like. When working this way it is about juggling balance and compromise.

Incidentally, I went back and plugged the center hole in my Graphene as I found the highs got a bit muddy/rolled. Now it is clear again. Perhaps just working with the ports in the back is enough...

Are you talking about the new $16 version or the old $29 version? I suspect you have the new $16 version, because the characteristics you are speaking of don't apply to the old $29 version imo.

I'm pretty sure that you have the old $29 version.

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #31,932 of 75,870
Are you talking about the new $16 version or the old $29 version? I suspect you have the new $16 version, because the characteristics you are speaking of don't apply to the old $29 version imo.

I'm pretty sure that you have the old $29 version.

I have the new version. I wonder how different the old and new versions are if @seanc6441 notices similar characteristics with his...?

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #31,933 of 75,870
I have the new version. I wonder how different the old and new versions are if @seanc6441 notices similar characteristics with his...?

They are quite a bit different. I understand your impressions of the new $16 version (although I don't feel as negative about them in stock form as you do - I still like them once my ears get accustomed and if I am not ab'ing with others). But they sound quite a bit different than the old $29 graphenes. My old ones are broken now, but my recollection is that they had nice sub-bass extension, not much of a mid-bass hump, very clear (but not sharp to my ears) highs, nice overall clarity, good soundstage and imaging etc. I really loved them. Sean and I have always felt differently about the old $29 graphenes. But there are others that hear them as he does, and other that hear them as I do, so for some reason there is quite a bit of disagreement about the old $29 version. But, I can't see how the mods for the new version would apply to the old version (or vice versa).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back