Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 22, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #3,136 of 75,872
Thank you sir. If you can get initial impressions up by the anniversary sale, I might bite depending on how they sound. Then again, I might try out the new Audeze instead.

Mar 22, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #3,137 of 75,872

Currently here are some of the comparison I am interested in:

Cygnus vs Ting
Ting vs Tomahawk
Tomahawk vs Cygnus
G400 vs Cygnus, Ting, Tomahawks

Hahaha basically a battle royal of buds!

I would suggest taking the G400 off that list.  While it is not a bad earbud, it is unfortunately not anything special.

I would be most interested to hear the Cygnus vs Ting.

It means i got some homework to do this week :)

Mar 22, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #3,138 of 75,872
  It means i got some homework to do this week :)

Thanks a lot for the effort mate !
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #3,140 of 75,872

I can do a quick sound comparison for you. 

[This does not represent quality, just signature]
~~~ 1-10 (10 Being the Most Prominent) ~~~

Tomahawk: [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]
Lows - 6 / Mids - 8 / Highs - 6 / Soundstage - 8 / [/color]

Ting:
Lows - 4 / Mids - 7 / Highs - 7 / Soundstage - 8

And because someone is going to ask....

Monk[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]: [/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Lows - 5 / Mids - 6 / Highs - 6 / Soundstage - 6[/color]

--

Clarity wise the Tomahawk and Ting are very close, with the ever so slightest edge going to the Ting.

The Monk, while good can not complete with the MusicMaker earbuds, but it is not meant to.  For that, I would need to get my hands on the Asura 2.0.

Thanks for you quick comparation, then with these numbers in mind, should I understand that Tomahack although fun sounding is still a mid centric earbud (similar to what most say about Monks and their fun sound)? Is there any quality new earbud with a sound signature similar to this: [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Lows - 8 / Mids - 6 / Highs - 8?[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]It seems that neither Tomahack, nor Ting, nor Cygnus, nor G400 meet my needs... Maybe Ostry KC08 or DK-Pu/JIN?[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Thanks[/color]

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #3,142 of 75,872
Thanks for you quick comparation, then with these numbers in mind, should I understand that Tomahack although fun sounding is still a mid centric earbud (similar to what most say about Monks and their fun sound)? Is there any quality new earbud with a sound signature similar to this:Lows - 8 / Mids - 6 / Highs - 8?

It seems that neither Tomahack, nor Ting, nor Cygnus, nor G400 meet my needs... Maybe Ostry KC08 or DK-Pu/JIN?

Thanks
zen1.0? :wink:

Mar 22, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #3,143 of 75,872

Thanks for you quick comparation, then with these numbers in mind, should I understand that Tomahack although fun sounding is still a mid centric earbud (similar to what most say about Monks and their fun sound)? Is there any quality new earbud with a sound signature similar to this: [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Lows - 8 / Mids - 6 / Highs - 8?[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]It seems that neither Tomahack, nor Ting, nor Cygnus, nor G400 meet my needs... Maybe Ostry KC08 or DK-Pu/JIN?[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Thanks[/color]

DK-Jin has got plenty of bass & treble, but a very intimate sound with a narrow soundstage (with okay depth).

Also, I think that Tomahawk isn't mid centric. It has got a balanced sound, but the mids are really nice. Asura 2.0 is a good example of a mid centric earbud.

I think that Zen 1 is quite similar to Monk, but much much better in just about everything. I like it better than Tomahawk, but think they are quite similar.

DK-Jin has got more bass & upper mids/treble than it has got (lower) mids. At least it sounded like that to my ears...

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #3,144 of 75,872
Talking about the Ostry KC08, after hearing them with at least 100 hours of burn in (for the specific ones), here's my honest impressions about them as a total earbuds noob:

Fit: Used both the standard and the "fancy" versions of foams. Both fit fine for my picky ears and the "fancy" foam does sound less bright and more engaging yet clear, in my experience. Maybe Ostry can sell packs of the "fancy" foams on Taobao somehow? Sticking with the standard foams myself for now, anyways.

Gears used: Fiio X1 --> Ibasso D12, Sony ZX1.
Pretty easy to drive, but as someone who listen to loud music as well, the ZX1 (I know its problems) is not enough even at max volume. I recommend pairing the KC08 with a setup that is slightly towards the warm side if you really want the KC08 to really show what they are capable of.

Bass: Not the best I have heard, but at least the mids and the lows are presented pretty nicely. Personally, it could have extended much more, but it is pretty fun otherwise, in my opinion.

Mids: From what I have read about earbuds like VE Monk, I can see why the KC08 are not as popular as I honestly think they should be. For me, the mids of these are more of slightly bright and reference type rather than the typical warm and engaging type that most would have enjoyed, unfortunately. I personally like the mids of the KC08 though, as they perform extremely well with complex music like metal, in my opinion. Despite whatever I actually said about the mids, the vocals are very engaging though, for me at least.

High: Beautiful and well-extended for my preferences, but how good can they sound also depends on the recordings as well, in my opinion. Pay attention, cymbals lovers.

Soundstage: For me and as someone who doesn't really care about soundstage and imaging on in-ears, they are good enough. From what I have read though, I am sure there are some who think that they could have extended as earbuds though.

Overall, the KC08 somehow reminded me of the Stax SR009 (total exaggeration, but just something I can refer to) with much dryer mids and more fun but still not-bleeded bass while have a similar presentation otherwise. I personally believe that these will sound better with more listening. For those who like a pair of earbuds that does most genres just well, these will be it. Unfortunately, stay away if you ever like engaging mids and incredible soundstage and imaging, even as a big Ostry fan myself, I admit.

Back to the music and I hope that my brief impressions of the KC08 helped a little for those who wants to get a pair of them.

PS: The KC08 are the standard, or the Mainland version as some of you prefered.

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #3,145 of 75,872

DK-Jin has got plenty of bass & treble, but a very intimate sound with a narrow soundstage (with okay depth).

Also, I think that Tomahawk isn't mid centric. It has got a balanced sound, but the mids are really nice. Asura 2.0 is a good example of a mid centric earbud.

I think that Zen 1 is quite similar to Monk, but much much better in just about everything. I like it better than Tomahawk, but think they are quite similar.

DK-Jin has got more bass & upper mids/treble than it has got (lower) mids. At least it sounded like that to my ears...

Thanks both for your opinions, my main problem with VE earbuds (at least with Monks) is that even with foams they hurt my ears, so after a shot time using them I cannot bear them and then there's the problem to fins now a Zen v1. In the other hand DK-Jin got my interest since I read Danneq impressions but I decided to wait until some reviews for all these earbuds released lately were made. Unfortunately everything I've read so far seem to go away from my preferences, KC08 seemed to be my last option, but after supplehope review (thanks!!) it seems to have the highs I'm after, but their bass would not fill my needs so it seems that I'll have to start looking seriously to DK-Jin.

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #3,146 of 75,872
When talking about the the Ting and Tomahawk, no, I would never use the word upgrade.  I would used "different flavor" to describe them as you say.

For Monitor/Analytical listening I would reach for the Ting.

For Fun/Exciting sound, I would reach for the Tomahawk.

--

Then tomawahk & ting are more like zen v.1 & v.2. Not an upgrade ver, but a total different sound.
I wanna ask something, is it worth to have Ting on its price? (Double tomahawk)
And if i already have tomahawk, is it necessary to have Ting too? Or is it better if I used the money for another earbud?

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #3,147 of 75,872
Then tomawahk & ting are more like zen v.1 & v.2. Not an upgrade ver, but a total different sound.
I wanna ask something, is it worth to have Ting on its price? (Double tomahawk)
And if i already have tomahawk, is it necessary to have Ting too? Or is it better if I used the money for another earbud?

I think it depends on what you are looking for. For me personally i won't be buying ting in the near forseeable future. I prefer something more fun and engaging. I would eventualy buy them but not on my priority list.

Thanks both for your opinions, my main problem with VE earbuds (at least with Monks) is that even with foams they hurt my ears, so after a shot time using them I cannot bear them and then there's the problem to fins now a Zen v1. In the other hand DK-Jin got my interest since I read Danneq impressions but I decided to wait until some reviews for all these earbuds released lately were made. Unfortunately everything I've read so far seem to go away from my preferences, KC08 seemed to be my last option, but after supplehope review (thanks!!) it seems to have the highs I'm after, but their bass would not fill my needs so it seems that I'll have to start looking seriously to DK-Jin.

I also think ve zen 1 could he what you are lookinh for..

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #3,148 of 75,872
I have to admit, if given a chance to buy the Zen 1, I'd probably take it myself.  Too bad I came in too late to pick one up.  Oh well, there will always be another earbud at some point!

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #3,150 of 75,872
  I have to admit, if given a chance to buy the Zen 1, I'd probably take it myself.  Too bad I came in too late to pick one up.  Oh well, there will always be another earbud at some point!

I'm in the same boat as you. I wish I could grab the Zen 1. There are so many great earbuds out right now though at all different price points. I'm starting to enjoy my Gramo One more and more. They are not the best in terms of value, but after listening to them with a few different sources, I really like how they pair with the Aune M2 Pro. I don't know if Zen and the Gramo One are very similar, but I guess they fall into the same "high-end" earbud category. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back