Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 24, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #30,526 of 75,209
Apr 24, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #30,528 of 75,209
try them with those black thin foams or thin donuts and see how it goes
I did and I can say the thin black foams (full) still sound a little dark to my ears and the sound is so forward that I think donuts work better here.

So I tried the thin foams in donut form... Better. More natural placing of vocals etc. But still dark.

So then I tried thin foams + multi hole. Better again. More balanced and the same natural presentation as donut.

But finally I tried the THICK VE donuts (kinda like Hiegi but more foam to make the multi hole in) with 5/6 holes around the edge and this is the best so far. Great balance, only slightly tilting towards dark on my V20. The distance from the ear due to the thicker fom gives you much more space and sense of depth and the seal is much better than the thin foam giving the bass impact and the vocals a full bodied sound.

Also I’m wearing them over ear for now. Improves the seal a bit, not a drastic change in SQ but slightly more punchy bass and fuller mids.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #30,529 of 75,209
I agree, TO400S definitely better with donut foams. I am still uncertain whether the sound is more 3d than with Penon BS1 (in terms of gaming, locating footsteps), but at the moment I feel like it is.

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #30,530 of 75,209
I agree, TO400S definitely better with donut foams. I am still uncertain whether the sound is more 3d than with Penon BS1 (in terms of gaming, locating footsteps), but at the moment I feel like it is.
It’s got a similar imaging presentation in a slightly bigger (wider) soundstage. Overall it’s more spacious but I don’t think the separation is any better. Possibly the BS1 has slightly better separation overall.

Although the separation may be perceived lack of brightness in the TO400S and the overly bright upper mids of the BS1 can definitely help define detail in the mids.

I wish the TO400S had a more neutral balanced signature because it’s pretty stellar in all other departments I’m just missing some sparkle in the upper frequencies.

If you prefer a darker sound but with excellent bass control and extension this bud is for you though.

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #30,531 of 75,209
It’s got a similar imaging presentation in a slightly bigger (wider) soundstage. Overall it’s more spacious but I don’t think the separation is any better. Possibly the BS1 has slightly better separation overall.
You're definitely right. I can better locate footsteps, however I catch myself more often concentrating on listening to the sound carefully to hear footsteps.
However, one advantage goes to the TO400s: With donut foams, it fits me better than the Penon BS1 does with full foams... so slightly better sound overall :)

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #30,532 of 75,209
I think I’ll do a mini comparison of TO400S, BS1 Official and Rose Masya in the coming day or two. All at a similar level and somewhat close enough price wise. May help some buyers looking to get into premium earbuds without spending big money.

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #30,533 of 75,209
You're definitely right. I can better locate footsteps, however I catch myself more often concentrating on listening to the sound carefully to hear footsteps.
However, one advantage goes to the TO400s: With donut foams, it fits me better than the Penon BS1 does with full foams... so slightly better sound overall :)
Same, I dislike the fit of the BS1 shell even if it looks good. Infact I think it’s one of the reasons the SQ is inconsistent. If it had a different design for a better fit I think it would sound better for most.

The fact that the BS1 has a slightly recessed and ‘weaker’ body to vocals if the fit isn’t right doesn’t help either.

TO400s did sound a little hollow until I got the fit right but it was a much simpler process to get it to sound good.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #30,534 of 75,209
EB46.jpg

Polvcdg A6
EMX500
EMX500S

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #30,535 of 75,209
I'm guessing that first one is Taobao only for now. Going to assume it's a budget earbud as I'm not sure I can think of one with a mic that's above $100 USD. Is the 1More E1008 the most expensive earbud with mic, or is there another I'm forgetting about?

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #30,536 of 75,209
@kurtextrem Same foam applied to my bs1 and it’s sounding good to my ears. Good space, vocals sound about right in forwardness and there’s moderate body to them, they don’t sound too weak. Great seal and overall balance is good airy high’s and deep lows.
DC21113D-6FBC-4A68-9BC8-2818B7C545F4.jpeg
Yep this is a good one may have to make another for the TO400S now :D

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #30,537 of 75,209
I'm guessing that first one is Taobao only for now. Going to assume it's a budget earbud as I'm not sure I can think of one with a mic that's above $100 USD. Is the 1More E1008 the most expensive earbud with mic, or is there another I'm forgetting about?

Yep, it is a pretty cheap one on Taobao that I just picked up for fun. Not really worth it though and you can totally skip it.

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #30,540 of 75,209

Users who are viewing this thread

Back