Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 21, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #30,406 of 75,268
To be honest I think if i could i would cancel my r6 order now and get the ibasso dx150 instead. Don't think I can cancel my order though
There’s more than a few impressions though, I’ve read most of the R6 thread and all the DX150 thread. If you prefer the AK dacs then maybe the DX150 will be better, R6 is competing at a slightly higher level detail wise apperantly but has less warmth and thickness to the sound. Although for a sabre dac apperantly R6 is full bodied.

Also many seem to suggest that the DX150 will leave you wanting the superior DX200...

So many opinions :D

Right now I care most about the high impendance effecting my earbuds and the overall SQ. On that grounds I may cancel the R6 or sell it on if I cannot.

Would need an answer in the R6 forum about Rose Masya/Mojito + R6 impressions if anyone has it. If it can play nicely with thise earbuds it can work with any earbud.

Apr 21, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #30,407 of 75,268
You look to be right about the rolled off treble, though it’s easy on the ears for extended listening. Here’s frequency graph I got from the seller, it’s hard to tell much from it since this is earbud graph but the highs do taper off

Hard to tell if earbud graphs are at all accurate. Could the bass reallybe that flat?... High’s look rolled slowly but nicely linear. It all looks like a more linear shozy bk in the lows to mids but slightly falters in the upper frequencies, not too dissimilar to the BK though! Yet in practice the BK has ample treble to my ears.

Although if you cut off from 16khz onwards the BK is just really linear with a slight emphasis on the low end, whereas the TO400 is recessed in the upper mids and mid treble. But overall it’s a good response it seems.

I’d pair it with a bright source and see how neutral it can sound :)

3458D9C5-F05F-4535-8D79-6252738E01BA.jpeg

D4295DAF-6A04-433C-B6C2-BAFB7B032E78.jpegShozy bk (red)

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #30,408 of 75,268
Hard to tell if earbud graphs are at all accurate. Could the bass reallybe that flat?... High’s look rolled slowly but nicely linear. It all looks like a more linear shozy bk in the lows to mids but slightly falters in the upper frequencies, not too dissimilar to the BK though! Yet in practice the BK has ample treble to my ears.

Although if you cut off from 16khz onwards the BK is just really linear with a slight emphasis on the low end, whereas the TO400 is recessed in the upper mids and mid treble. But overall it’s a good response it seems.

I’d pair it with a bright source and see how neutral it can sound :)

Shozy bk (red)

Earbud drivers are generally really good at being flat in the bass - when measured with isolation (IEM style). I kinda think that this ~15mm is a perfect size for DD to show how flat they can get in the lower frequencies - something that appears to be much harder to do with IEM/headphone drivers.

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #30,409 of 75,268
Earbud drivers are generally really good at being flat in the bass - when measured with isolation (IEM style). I kinda think that this ~15mm is a perfect size for DD to show how flat they can get in the lower frequencies - something that appears to be much harder to do with IEM/headphone drivers.
Although it seems to extend flat to and possibly lower than 20hz which is impressive sub bass. I’ll have to hear it for myself and see how deep it sounds :)

Apr 21, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #30,410 of 75,268
I liked the features of the R6. Great screen, spotify and google play store support. Bypasses android sampling rate limitation for streaming apps.
So, it will bypass the sampling rate limitation for lossy Spotify streams? (Sorry, couldn't resist). :wink:
The Hiby6 is a great little player for the price. There are some annoying things about it (lags with Tidal, problems with displaying album art for saved files, very heavy), but its features punch way above its price range. I received the FAAEAL Narcissus a week or so ago, and am really enjoying those buds with the Hiby - they take the edge of the Hiby's brightness.

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #30,412 of 75,268
So, it will bypass the sampling rate limitation for lossy Spotify streams? (Sorry, couldn't resist). :wink:
The Hiby6 is a great little player for the price. There are some annoying things about it (lags with Tidal, problems with displaying album art for saved files, very heavy), but its features punch way above its price range. I received the FAAEAL Narcissus a week or so ago, and am really enjoying those buds with the Hiby - they take the edge of the Hiby's brightness.
Well it may not be pure lossless but if it’s better than the competition that is feed through android limitations it’s on the ‘pro’s’ list for me. How much better I have no idea. But I liked the R6 as a whole package other than the high OI.

You have the R6 in hand right? Got any dual dynamic earbuds to test on it? I’m wondering if my Masya and others will play well on it. If not I’ll be looking for a new dap.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #30,413 of 75,268
You have the R6 in hand right? Got any dual dynamic earbuds to test on it? I’m wondering if my Masya and others will play well on it. If not I’ll be looking for a new dap.
Yes, I do. Not sure about dual driver earbuds; if I do have any, they are not in the current rotation and I haven’t listened to them for quite some time. What is the concern? Output impedance? When using the Hiby as a source at home I use the lineout and an external amp with multi BA IEMs. For portable use the hiss isn’t noticeable to me because of ambient noise. Sound signature? The Hiby has an equalizer. (Personally I don’t use an equalizer, ever, but different strokes for different folks).

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #30,414 of 75,268
Yes, I do. Not sure about dual driver earbuds; if I do have any, they are not in the current rotation and I haven’t listened to them for quite some time. What is the concern? Output impedance? When using the Hiby as a source at home I use the lineout and an external amp with multi BA IEMs. For portable use the hiss isn’t noticeable to me because of ambient noise. Sound signature? The Hiby has an equalizer. (Personally I don’t use an equalizer, ever, but different strokes for different folks).
Sadly the EQ doesn’t work with spotify (atleast currently) but you say there is hiss with earbuds if you listen closely enough?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #30,417 of 75,268

the more I listen to D2 + the more I love what I hear - universal TOTL for a variety of genres of music. Great work from Simphonio!

Very true. The best part of SWD2+ is probably that it is the least genre specific of all the ToTL earbuds currently in the market.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #30,418 of 75,268
Just got my Willsound MK2's about an hour ago.
Obviously not burned in but work on everything so far.

With included foams:
They have a very relaxed natural sound.
They are fairly detailed, articulate enough to hear everything but not clinical.
Plenty of warmth. Prominent bass but not overly done.
Musical not analytical.
Soundstage isn't huge but still wide enough and quite immersive.
Definitely a step up from anything else I've heard under $50, maybe more.

Without foams:
More instrument separation.
More detail but still coherent, enjoyable.
Soundstage is a tad wider.

I'm going to try monk thin foams.
I have a good feeling about that.

No comparisons to anything else for at least a week or two but...
I like 'em. I really do.

Apr 22, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #30,419 of 75,268

the more I listen to D2 + the more I love what I hear - universal TOTL for a variety of genres of music. Great work from Simphonio!

Very true. The best part of SWD2+ is probably that it is the least genre specific of all the ToTL earbuds currently in the market.

Yup, very easy to listen to. That jack of all trade characteristics can be a high point (or low to some people), but to someone who wants only one TOTL earbuds to every genre, this is a great one

Apr 22, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #30,420 of 75,268
Just got my Willsound MK2's about an hour ago.
Obviously not burned in but work on everything so far.

With included foams:
They have a very relaxed natural sound.
They are fairly detailed, articulate enough to hear everything but not clinical.
Plenty of warmth. Prominent bass but not overly done.
Musical not analytical.
Soundstage isn't huge but still wide enough and quite immersive.
Definitely a step up from anything else I've heard under $50, maybe more.

Without foams:
More instrument separation.
More detail but still coherent, enjoyable.
Soundstage is a tad wider.

I'm going to try monk thin foams.
I have a good feeling about that.

No comparisons to anything else for at least a week or two but...
I like 'em. I really do.

I use my MK2 with thin foams. Great detail without loosing bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back