Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 20, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #30,361 of 75,148
I agree with you. But I need more time to decide which I should use as long term.
For me it depends on the earbud in question and there’s no ‘one size fits all’ foam out there that makes every earbud sound it’s best.

Even while multi hole hiegi foam is really good for me at the moment (thick spongy foam + open sound where you choose it to be open) sometimes the thin aliexpress or monk foams just sound better with certain earbuds.

They seem to be my go to choices now though buy still some of my earbuds have donuts on them. So all my new earbuds get foam rolled 4-5 times lol!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #30,362 of 75,148
@waynes world Are you using on the go? I have the VE black Litz cable in 2 pin for iems and sonically its nice but stiff.
The VE espresso is the softest of the bunch so if ergonomics matter but you gotta like brown.

So you are correct. I want a black, flexible cable, and VE's black litz is stiff (like you said), the spc is silver (and springy apparently), and the expresso is not black. And it seems that most of the aliexpress cables are braided and therefore potentially not that flexible (for wearing over ears etc). Hopefully I can find an inexpensive yet decent, black, flexible, 2.5mm to mmcx balanced cable somewhere!

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #30,363 of 75,148
I've only had it for an hour and I don't have anything else in the same price range so I'm not sure I'll be too helpful. HungryPanda suggested the TO400S over the EBX so I went with that. Nice details, smooth vocals, excellent soundstage and bass is to my liking. Very enjoyable so far. It came with all red donuts and all black full foams, kinda weird..I usually like to use red for right ear and black for the left but oh well, I'll dig up some monk donuts tonight.

I am NOT buying any more earbuds. But if I was going to, then it sounds like the TO400S would be a nice option. Or the Willsounds MK2. Good thing I don't have to make that decision, because I am NOT buying any more earbuds :thinking:

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #30,364 of 75,148
chris evans laughing GIF by mtv-downsized_large.gif

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #30,365 of 75,148
So you are correct. I want a black, flexible cable, and VE's black litz is stiff (like you said), the spc is silver (and springy apparently), and the expresso is not black. And it seems that most of the aliexpress cables are braided and therefore potentially not that flexible (for wearing over ears etc). Hopefully I can find an inexpensive yet decent, black, flexible, 2.5mm to mmcx balanced cable somewhere!

Just get the K's 500, chop the earbuds off, and install MMCX connectors on the cable... :wink:

Apr 20, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #30,366 of 75,148
Seanc6441 have you gotten word on when your Ks black Ling might show up? Just saw the post service here thinks by Tuesday for mine.

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #30,367 of 75,148
Just get the K's 500, chop the earbuds off, and install MMCX connectors on the cable... :wink:

Darn, if only I read that earlier lol!

Based on various input I've read and received, I ended up getting the below off of aliexpress. Apparently the cable is flexible (and black!), and the price is right. Wish the interconnect was white, but that's ok:

yinwoo-20180420.jpg

fiio-20180420.jpg

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #30,368 of 75,148
Darn, if only I read that earlier lol!

Based on various input I've read and received, I ended up getting the below off of aliexpress. Apparently the cable is flexible (and black!), and the price is right. Wish the interconnect was white, but that's ok:

Hey doesn’t the Toneking TO400s come with a MMCX braided 3.5mm SE cable?

:wink:

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #30,369 of 75,148
Seanc6441 have you gotten word on when your Ks black Ling might show up? Just saw the post service here thinks by Tuesday for mine.
Hey I wasn’t checking (I usually don’t with aliexpress orders) but it says expected delivery 14-22 April but it’s still in transit. I’ll start to get excited when it arrives in my country :)

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #30,371 of 75,148
Rose Masya buds currently looking like a snack. A couple of Oreos to be precise. Love these things!
Hey turns out the Hiegi foam isn’t 100% necessary to use for the multi hole (unless the Masya’s are falling out of your ears!.. Then they would help).

I made a pair of multi hole foams using regular full foams but the most spongy/thick and pourous black foams I could find.

After grabing the best pair I made a pattern like ShabtabQ has done (5 holes concentrically and 1 in the middle) and popped em on. Loving it. Slightly more light and airy than the deeper sounding hiegi foams. The Masya has a nice quality of putting sound on two flat surfaces left and right and whilst there is depth in terms of the frequency response, the soundstage isn’t very particularly deep so you get the detail up front. I actually like this sometimes as it’s the opposite to some other buds I own. A nice change.

You end up with a very balanced punchy bass, clear mids and extended treble. A vocal earbud with great extension!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #30,374 of 75,148
Nice, the Opus looks like a fantastic DAP from what I read awhile back. I'm a little scared that the dual driver and 12 ohms won't play well with the R6 output impendence but I'll have to what and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back