Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 25, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #28,546 of 75,342
I haven't really spent much time with it and haven't listened to both cables. I just fitted the 102 SSC and burned it in (just finished). I didn't bother with MOE or AOE and haven't heard the Asura or orignal Zens. I wasn't going to bother getting a Zen as opinions vary, but Wild Lee made me an offer I couldn't refuse when I was buying the RA2.0bl. :)

The microphonics aren't an issue when sitting/lying IMO. To be fair, I'm probably not going to use these when I'm mobile anyway. I'll keep them for home listening. I don't have any other cables, unless the Trinity Master cables have the same fitting (haven't checked).

Did you get a free Zen Lite as well, with your RA2.0bl?
Asking only because it would be a useful point of reference to compare the ZOE with. I'm not planning to get a Zen either but have the Lite cos of the RA deal.
If I had the 102 SSC I probably wouldn't use it for anything other than home listening anyway, so that's fine. :)

Though I only tried it briefly, I think the standard cable was much the same. I was surprised the 102 SSC was like that. I don't have many earbuds with that problem. Might be a deal breaker for some.

'Much the same' - in terms of microphonics?

Feb 25, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #28,547 of 75,342
Hi all...

I'm new to this forum, I ended up here because I bought a Monk+ and then I found the budget earbud thread and then via some creepy mass psychosis I ended up buying a bunch of budget earbuds. Monk+, Qian39, **** PT15, Fengru DIY PK2, TY Hi-Z 314P. Vido will probably arrive next week. I think my next purchase will be Monk lite, PK2 Panda and Graphene but I think I'll take it easy until I've sourted out my source.

This leads us to my reason for finally making an account and posting. Like I said, I need a better source and I also just managed to break my phone (an old OP2) so there's that... I'm looking at either LG V30 or Xperia XZ1, naturally the V30 is leaps ahead as an audio source but I can probably get a pretty good deal on the XZ1. However, I'm planning on using it mostly with either a BTR1 or Earstudio and I have no idea if that makes any difference. I'm thinking that V30's main advantage is it's hardware DAC and since BTR1/Earstudio have good DACs it might even things out. Also, both phones seem to support APTX HD. Or am I misunderstanding things, will the V30 + BTR1/Earstudio still be way ahead of XZ1 + BTR1/Earstudio?

If the XZ1 + BTR1/Earstudio will be fairly equal to V30 + BTR1/Earstudio I think I can live with worse sound straight from the phone and save some cash since I like both phones otherwise. Any thoughts on this would be great because I'm kind of on the fence here! Also, in a bit of a rush so I'll probably buy one of them this week.

Btw, I know this is a bit off topic but I know you have discussed both phones and BTR1 earlier in the thread so I figured it would be OK. Just let me know if I should remove it.

I started reading this thread on page 1500 since I wanted to be up to date on what's going on but I've only reached page 1726 so far, trying to hold the questions until I've caught up...

Feb 25, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #28,548 of 75,342
Hi all...

I'm new to this forum, I ended up here because I bought a Monk+ and then I found the budget earbud thread and then via some creepy mass psychosis I ended up buying a bunch of budget earbuds. Monk+, Qian39, **** PT15, Fengru DIY PK2, TY Hi-Z 314P. Vido will probably arrive next week. I think my next purchase will be Monk lite, PK2 Panda and Graphene but I think I'll take it easy until I've sourted out my source.

This leads us to my reason for finally making an account and posting. Like I said, I need a better source and I also just managed to break my phone (an old OP2) so there's that... I'm looking at either LG V30 or Xperia XZ1, naturally the V30 is leaps ahead as an audio source but I can probably get a pretty good deal on the XZ1. However, I'm planning on using it mostly with either a BTR1 or Earstudio and I have no idea if that makes any difference. I'm thinking that V30's main advantage is it's hardware DAC and since BTR1/Earstudio have good DACs it might even things out. Also, both phones seem to support APTX HD. Or am I misunderstanding things, will the V30 + BTR1/Earstudio still be way ahead of XZ1 + BTR1/Earstudio?

If the XZ1 + BTR1/Earstudio will be fairly equal to V30 + BTR1/Earstudio I think I can live with worse sound straight from the phone and save some cash since I like both phones otherwise. Any thoughts on this would be great because I'm kind of on the fence here! Also, in a bit of a rush so I'll probably buy one of them this week.

Btw, I know this is a bit off topic but I know you have discussed both phones and BTR1 earlier in the thread so I figured it would be OK. Just let me know if I should remove it.

I started reading this thread on page 1500 since I wanted to be up to date on what's going on but I've only reached page 1726 so far, trying to hold the questions until I've caught up...
They both support apt x hd? They should should exactly the same using BT. Using analog out the LG v30 has the better dac/amp (I think) but that won’t concern you if you will use bluetooth.

Infact if you plan on only using bluetooth you should buy any phone that supports the best bluetooth codecs like apt x hd, so you are not actually limited to an ‘audiophile’ phone like the V30 or XZ1.

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #28,549 of 75,342
They both support apt x hd? They should should exactly the same using BT. Using analog out the LG v30 has the better dac/amp (I think) but that won’t concern you if you will use bluetooth.

Infact if you plan on only using bluetooth you should buy any phone that supports the best bluetooth codecs like apt x hd, so you are not actually limited to an ‘audiophile’ phone like the V30 or XZ1.

That's what I was hoping to hear, excellent! Thanks for the reply!

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #28,552 of 75,342
Hi all...

Sean is correct, except that the BTR1 does not support APTXHD, whereas the Earstudio ES100 does. If I were you, I'd get the ES100 any phone that supports APTXHD, and call it a day.

Fwiw, I had the BTR1, and it sounded great to me using APTX (and my S7 Edge). I lost the BTR1 though, and am now waiting for the ES100. My phone doesn't support APTXHD, but I am fairly confident that the ES100 using APTX will sound at least as good, if not better, than the BTR1 using APTX.

Fwiw, here's a comparison of the SQ of the ES100 using APTXHD versus the BTR1 using APTX:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/radsone-earstudio.867366/page-17#post-14066024

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #28,553 of 75,342
Yes, even though I tend to keep my phones for a while that's still a bit pricey I think. Feels like the phones have really rocketed in price the last few years lol.
Indeed. That’s why you can buy the best of the last gen to save some money maybe ^^

Anything with apt x HD will do for your needs!

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #28,554 of 75,342
BTW @seanc6441 my foams arrived on Friday, and you weren't kidding; these are probably the most transparent foams I've ever used. I was using some donuts on my Monks which are now serving as my travel buds (I ride my bike to work so I'd rather not risk the BS1s on the way, but on arrival, the BS1 takes over for office listening), and after replacing them with these foams, I literally couldn't detect a significant sonic difference.

It sounded like I was still using donuts; that is, foam that allows good low end, but a cutout for the eardrum-facing holes in the bud that allow clarity and openness.

I really appreciate the recommendation m8 :)

P.S. (and off-topic): Did you end up keeping the Cayin, or no? I've been lurking the N5ii thread as I've been considering buying one as well, and I couldn't help but see your initial impressions.

Feb 25, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #28,556 of 75,342
BTW @seanc6441 my foams arrived on Friday, and you weren't kidding; these are probably the most transparent foams I've ever used. I was using some donuts on my Monks which are now serving as my travel buds (I ride my bike to work so I'd rather not risk the BS1s on the way, but on arrival, the BS1 takes over for office listening), and after replacing them with these foams, I literally couldn't detect a significant sonic difference.

It sounded like I was still using donuts; that is, foam that allows good low end, but a cutout for the eardrum-facing holes in the bud that allow clarity and openness.

P.S. (and off-topic): Did you end up keeping the Cayin, or no? I've been lurking the N5ii thread as I've been considering buying one as well, and I couldn't help but see your initial impressions.
I returned it. I preferred my iphone 6s... lol

Something was off about the tonality in low mids, lacking some emotion and lush vocals. More textures and a little dull imo.

I described it as grainy at the time, it’s more like textured without the lush fullness.

Sticking with my iphone until I find a DAP i love. I didn’t love the n5ii.

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #28,557 of 75,342
I returned it. I preferred my iphone 6s... lol

Something was off about the tonality in low mids, lacking some emotion and lush vocals. More textures and a little dull imo.

I described it as grainy at the time, it’s more like textured without the lush fullness.

Sticking with my iphone until I find a DAP i love. I didn’t love the n5ii.
Ah well, such is the life of the hobby for a lot of people lol.

I'm glad you were able to try it without too much loss though (sadly it's not that easy with the Hiby R6, not yet anyway).

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #28,558 of 75,342

Can you link those foams please

Feb 25, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #28,559 of 75,342

Users who are viewing this thread

Back