Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 9, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #28,186 of 75,266
Your best bet is a low density full foam or doubled thin foams. It’s the most balanced sound.

About the treble I think it’s smooth and slightly rolled (just slightly) but it’s definitely not under emphasised or anything. As you say once you get to a treble heavy track... It will sound treble heavy!

I think after this you will cave a buy the shozy bk and then you’ll truly experience euphoric mids and the definition of analog tuning :)

But for now I’ll say the BS1 is swiss army knife and capable at most genres and can handle anything thrown at it from a technical point of view.
Haha I just might. I've never felt the draw to have a bunch of headphones (a max of 4 if that much), but with earbuds I'm starting to because they're often easier to acquire, store, and use.

Yep, I've tried it with several genres including metal and it's more than capable. Keeps up with drumming just fine, treble isn't too sharp unless the song is, harsher vocals aren't distorted. Haven't tried it with more extreme stuff yet, but so far so good.

EDIT for your edit: I actually used to avoid listening to Fleetwood Mac because a lot of the hipsterish people around me kept raving about it, which naturally didn't invite me to listen to them. I heard a song analysis of the song Dreams and it changed my opinion right then and there.

Video here: Worth the watch, I recommend it.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #28,187 of 75,266
Haha I just might. I've never felt the draw to have a bunch of headphones (a max of 4 if that much), but with earbuds I'm starting to because they're often easier to acquire, store, and use.

Yep, I've tried it with several genres including metal and it's more than capable. Keeps up with drumming just fine, treble isn't too sharp unless the song is, harsher vocals aren't distorted. Haven't tried it with more extreme stuff yet, but so far so good.

EDIT for your edit: I actually used to avoid listening to Fleetwood Mac because a lot of the hipsterish people around me kept raving about it, which naturally didn't invite me to listen to them. I heard a song analysis of the song Dreams and it changed my opinion right then and there.

My dad used to listen to their stuff probably before it was ‘cool’ but that’s what got my intrigued to give them a try. Great music and pretty much align with my tastes of alternative/progressive/psychedelic rock and just damn good music haha.

As for metal I’ve tried I really have but it’s just not for me... The drums are the part I enjoy though quick drum lines are very addictive but I can get that from some other genres without having to listen to the shouty vocals. Although I will say without the right gear metal sounds abismal but with the right setup it can sound much much better. It’s mostly how quick the bass decay and slam is and how the treble is handled. The tomahawk buds were memorable for metal but other earbuds would butcher it.

I may watch it tomorrow when I’m not half a sleep! I will check it out though.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #28,188 of 75,266
My dad used to listen to their stuff probably before it was ‘cool’ but that’s what got my intrigued to give them a try. Great music and pretty much align with my tastes of alternative/progressive/psychedelic rock and just damn good music haha.

As for metal I’ve tried I really have but it’s just not for me... The drums are the part I enjoy though quick drum lines are very addictive but I can get that from some other genres without having to listen to the shouty vocals. Although I will say without the right gear metal sounds abismal but with the right setup it can sound much much better. It’s mostly how quick the bass decay and slam is and how the treble is handled. The tomahawk buds were memorable for metal but other earbuds would butcher it.

I may watch it tomorrow when I’m not half a sleep! I will check it out though.
Well metal is totally not for everyone, so it's understandable. Not all metal is shouty though, I mentioned Opeth before (not sure if you've ever listened to them). They're a very dynamic band (metal or prog-rock depending on whom you ask) whose music has a wide variety of styles. They have some shoutier songs, but a few particular albums are mainly just beautifully played prog-rock with a mix of clean and harsh vocals. Remind me tomorrow to link you a song or two that sounds really good on the BS1 :thumbsup:

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #28,189 of 75,266
I’m glad you are enjoying it though! Now there will be no saving you from the TOTL earbud abyss!

Whaaaaaat? The BS1's are supposed to be the ones sparing me from having to get "TOTL" buds!

That was a worthy watch! Thanks!

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #28,190 of 75,266
Well metal is totally not for everyone, so it's understandable. Not all metal is shouty though, I mentioned Opeth before (not sure if you've ever listened to them). They're a very dynamic band (metal or prog-rock depending on whom you ask) whose music has a wide variety of styles. They have some shoutier songs, but a few particular albums are mainly just beautifully played prog-rock with a mix of clean and harsh vocals. Remind me tomorrow to link you a song or two that sounds really good on the BS1 :thumbsup:
Whaaaaaat? The BS1's are supposed to be the ones sparing me from having to get "TOTL" buds!

That was a worthy watch! Thanks!
No, we are all doomed.

Feb 10, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #28,191 of 75,266
Yesterday I've A/B tested Shozy BK and Penon BS1 Official for gaming. In Rainbow Six Siege, Penon BS1 has the definitive upper hand in soundstage. When switching back to Shozy BK, it feels like the sound hits you from the face (and that is not the case, Shozy BK's soundstage is better than 95% of the earbuds I'd say)

Feb 10, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #28,192 of 75,266
Yesterday I've A/B tested Shozy BK and Penon BS1 Official for gaming. In Rainbow Six Siege, Penon BS1 has the definitive upper hand in soundstage. When switching back to Shozy BK, it feels like the sound hits you from the face (and that is not the case, Shozy BK's soundstage is better than 95% of the earbuds I'd say)

I think it might have more to do with how they position sounds. Some headphones in general can have a solid sound stage potential but still position most instruments close to the center and only with particular sounds do they extend far to the sides.
I guess this is what word 'imaging' contains in itself - how the sounds fill in the sound stage that a headphone is capable of. Or even more precisely, if sound stage is filled with bubbles out of which sounds can come from, more bubbles along the line means better imaging and instrument placement, but these bubbles are also larger and smaller. Perhaps BK has larger 'bubbles' closer to the center while BS1's largest bubbles are more to the left-right.
All of this is just speculation on my part but I thought I might mention my reasoning because I've experienced similar things.

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #28,193 of 75,266
I found the BK to position sound almost inside the head, or just around it but slightly in front yes. I actually liked this for music, for a relatively small stage the BK had excellent separation to make it work.

BS1 is more accurate for games and such, 3D soundstage, more depth for positioning of close/far sounds.

@vladstef I think the BS1 does a good job of accuracy in positioning. Most sounds seem like they are in the right location and only a few sounds are actually reaching to the edge of the soundstage. Compare this to the Masya where it’s obviously pushed out wider and more in front. It’s like listening to the music in a hall or large room which lends to the imaging being less accurate in my opinion, but the stage being more obviously spacious.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #28,194 of 75,266
The soundstage of BS1 Official has a really natural expansion and the magnitude is great. The depth may be slightly closed in but vocals sound intimate and sweet. It displays great finesse too. These days, I use the BS1 Official more than my Masya.

Feb 10, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #28,195 of 75,266
The soundstage of BS1 Official has a really natural expansion and the magnitude is great. The depth may be slightly closed in but vocals sound intimate and sweet. It displays great finesse too. These days, I use the BS1 Official more than my Masya.
Definitely think the depth is ample and more than every other earbud I own. It naturally reaches far but portrays sounds as close or far as the imaging dictates.

Of all my earbuds these are the ones I feel most like I’m missing out on their full potential with my lacking source. I’d love to hear these out of a mid/high end DAP to see what these really can do when asked to push more detail and be more technically proficient.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #28,196 of 75,266
Definitely think the depth is ample and more than every other earbud I own. It naturally reaches far but portrays sounds as close or far as the imaging dictates.

Of all my earbuds these are the ones I feel most like I’m missing out on their full potential with my lacking source. I’d love to hear these out of a mid/high end DAP to see what these really can do when asked to push more detail and be more technically proficient.
I use it with m3s and the low freq is very rich together with the mids being thick .

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #28,197 of 75,266

The BS1 Official performs exceptionally well with my iBasso DX200 (AMP 1). It improves the top end significantly.

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #28,198 of 75,266
What is the community opinion about the moondrop vx-j?
(I bought it accidentally)

You bought it accidentally? You know you are amongst your earbuds brethren here don´t you? No need to hide the truth, compulsive buying is par for the course :)
That being said I might borrow your "I bought it accidentally" line next time I have to face the Grand Jury aka my family for my subreptitious activities.

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #28,199 of 75,266
Interested in which bud ares your favorite for Opeth, they are one of my most if not the most listened bands.

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #28,200 of 75,266
20180210_233642-01.jpeg

Finally able to compare these two. My conclusion: I'll skip the BS1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back