Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 5, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #28,052 of 75,284
I dont know Sean i cant really agree with you on the Masya, iv had them since their release i got them in carbon fiber. There is something very important that a lot of people seem to over look with the masya. They are a dual driver unit with crossover and to me this crossover is very prevalent to the point there is a gap a dead space if you will. For instance there was as song where there is a dog barking in the background on my other earbuds but on the masya there is no sound what so ever no dog barking at all the frequencies simply never made it to either driver because it landed in the dead zone the space between where the cross over happens. This dead space alone made me not like the masya, add in the brighter tonality of the mids (lack of fullness) I just couldn't accept them. They also are very awkward fitting earbuds being that the majority of their weight sits outside your ear which in my instance made them lose their seal and fall out a lot. I also find the build quality sub par given their price point, paint chipping and the cable is thin and same as found on cheapo earbuds.

For the majority the masya is a good bud but i cant really recommend them due to their various issues you have to contend with.

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #28,053 of 75,284
I dont know Sean i cant really agree with you on the Masya, iv had them since their release i got them in carbon fiber. There is something very important that a lot of people seem to over look with the masya. They are a dual driver unit with crossover and to me this crossover is very prevalent to the point there is a gap a dead space if you will. For instance there was as song where there is a dog barking in the background on my other earbuds but on the masya there is no sound what so ever no dog barking at all the frequencies simply never made it to either driver because it landed in the dead zone the space between where the cross over happens. This dead space alone made me not like the masya, add in the brighter tonality of the mids (lack of fullness) I just couldn't accept them. They also are very awkward fitting earbuds being that the majority of their weight sits outside your ear which in my instance made them lose their seal and fall out a lot. I also find the build quality sub par given their price point, paint chipping and the cable is thin and same as found on cheapo earbuds.

For the majority the masya is a good bud but i cant really recommend them due to their various issues you have to contend with.

Is the song West End Girls - P.S.B ? There is definitely barking on the start of Suburbia - P.S.B

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #28,055 of 75,284

Isn’t the idea of cross over the fact that both drivers play the same frequency at a certain point to avoid gaps? That’s the ‘cross over’ of the drivers. I’ve personally never heard a gap in the frequency response but I do think it’s a bright midrange and not for everyone.

Can you give me the name of the song/artist I’d love to test it out on my masya and then my other buds to see if I hear it too.

The most important aspect is the source pairing though, it seems these buds sound different depending on the source and I’ve experienced this somewhat.

I’ve come to appreciate the strengths of the masya but I don’t think it’s an all rounder for every preference or genre.

Classical, instrumental and electronic/edm stuff sounds good to me though. It’s a different sound than my other earbuds but I don’t consider it a bad sound with the right foams.

As for fit, it’s very awkward (as in a loose fit) until I used the double foam method or thicker full foams. They are extremely comfortable for me though and the fit allows great airy qualities for my ear, whilst the strong bass driver keeps the sound punchy and powerful in the low end regardless of a tight seal or not.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #28,056 of 75,284
Well I’m wrong about the term crossover it literally just means the implementation of joining multi drivers to foam a coherent sound. Maybe the masya is missing a frequency but if that’s so I’d be odd if you didn’t atleast catch some of the bark assuming it’s not monotonous and operates over a number of frequencies like most vocal tones.

Feb 5, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #28,057 of 75,284
Think of a cross over like a venn diagram. Depending on the implementation there can be a bigger dip in the cross over area. When i get home i will try to find the song again, has been a little while i did the comparison back when i got my K's samsara and i noted the difference at that time. The reason they use cross overs is to make it so one drive produces one frequency range and the other produces the remaining at least in dual driver configuration. In the instance of the masya the larger driver does the bass frequencies while the smaller driver handles the mid and high frequencies. In very well built crossovers you can minimize the dipping in the frequency range where the crossover occurs but it is impossible to not have a dip at all. Depending on the severity of the dip you may miss out on sounds that reside in that frequency range. For the masya the dip should be between the upper bass region and lower mid region.

Feb 5, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #28,058 of 75,284
I don't think either version of the Raven were Monk mods, just the original Crow earbud. The crafter is friends with the maker of the Edimun & Demun earbuds from my understanding.

As far as sound, the bass peformance is a respectable response to EQ, with the natural tonality being fairly balanced with a little bit of a bass dominance in the spectrum. It's probably L shaped with what I'm hearing. With the EQ I use to test everything's potential for bass, I own maybe 2 earbuds that resulted in a certainly stronger sub-bass, the Zen 1 & Svara L. It's roughly on par with Hi-z 150S for bass, but it's still early on in hours. Details on this outperform Svara L, and I haven't compared vs Zen 1 yet. It certainly feels more sub-bass focus with no bleed into the vocals. As far as overall quality, details feel quite high for an around 100USD earbud, and the cable is lovely albeit a little short.

I really need to take more time to get to know this better, as it's proving for my preferences to be better suited than the Blue Darth.

How would you rate the Svara L to similarly priced ear buds? How is the clarity on them?

Feb 5, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #28,059 of 75,284
Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #28,060 of 75,284
Think of a cross over like a venn diagram.

Essentially correct :D It's like this:

dist_1_433_del_0_allpass_120_pos.png

The top graph shows how a subwoofer and midrange woofer would divvy up the frequencies, and the bottom graph shows how the system overall should sound.

A crossover isn't a right angle, but a curve. If a subwoofer is crossed over at 100hz, it will play tones higher than 100hz, but at lower and lower volumes.

Feb 5, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #28,061 of 75,284
So I went against the advice of everyone here... and pulled the trigger on the Masya.

I've come to terms with the futility of comparing them (or any of the other earbuds, for the matter) with Stax (Staxes?) of any stripe. All I ask is that they acquit themselves favourably alongside the Asura. It's a reasonable target for the Masya... right?

And now I'll try not to buy anything else in the meantime.

For instance there was as song where there is a dog barking in the background on my other earbuds but on the masya there is no sound what so ever no dog barking at all the frequencies simply never made it to either driver because it landed in the dead zone the space between where the cross over happens. This dead space alone made me not like the masya, add in the brighter tonality of the mids (lack of fullness) I just couldn't accept them.

I'd like to know what this song is as well. Might give me something to do with my other buds and IEMs while I wait :wink:

Feb 5, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #28,062 of 75,284
Ha - love your enthusiasm! Glad you're so happy with them. These are the ones that you linked to:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...arphone-HiFi-Bass-Earbuds-DJ/32841881186.html

These are the "DIY MX500" that I have:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...ass-Earbuds-DJ-Earbuds-Heavy/32789378048.html

Do you know if they are the same or different?

Also, what are the NICEHCK DIY that you reference above?

I honestly don't why what differentiates the both other than one has the "S" after MX500

The in-ear difference is that the EMX500S has a wider stage and clearer highs.

The EMX500 does have deeper bass, but throwing on a donut foam on the “S” version does bring in that extra bass that makes it’s damn close to perfect (for me anyway)
So it's for sure an upgrade and better than all the other "budget" ones I've tried.

Feb 5, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #28,064 of 75,284
Also known as "that pesky dog barking region" :wink:

'd like to know what this song is as well. Might give me something to do with my other buds and IEMs while I wait :wink:

I too need to hear this song. I want to hear it on all of the headphones, iems and buds...speakers also.

Feb 5, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #28,065 of 75,284
Essentially correct :D It's like this:

The top graph shows how a subwoofer and midrange woofer would divvy up the frequencies, and the bottom graph shows how the system overall should sound.

A crossover isn't a right angle, but a curve. If a subwoofer is crossed over at 100hz, it will play tones higher than 100hz, but at lower and lower volumes.
Well that confirms my suspicion about the lack of body or ‘emphasis’ in the lower mids.. Does this means an advanced equaliser to bump up the DB in exactly the same region (assuming you have the frequency graph of the masya) would ‘fix’ it?

Is it simply just a drop in db level or is it more complicated than that?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back