Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 16, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #27,181 of 75,277
Agreed. Fitting should be measured rather than individual feeling. I always neglect on 'Fitting' review by many reviewers.

For your information as you might don't know yet, here is the rough summary of the O.D. of the front cover ordering from 'big' to 'small'.
- Astrotec Lyra Shell = Larger than Typical MX500 Shell (I don't have measurement data)
- Typical MX500 Shell = 16.9 mm. plus or minus 0.1-0.2 mm. depend on the front cover thickness.
- Typical PK & Shozy & Docomo Shell, Qian Shell and VE Monk Lite Shell = 16.2 mm. plus or minus 0.1 mm.
- Apple earpod earbuds Shell (very first gen) and Meizu EP-21HD Shell = 16.0 mm.
- Rose Masya & Mojito Shell = 15.5 mm.

A few Asian guy I know of, he can wear only Apple earpod size and below. Mostly guy get perfect fit around 16.2 mm. While many European guys have no trouble with MX500 but they get loose fitting easily on Rose earbuds.
Thank you for these informations.
I ve got the DIY mx760 graphene, and want to use earbuds as an office alternative to my Zeus XR Adel. Not SQ-wise of course, but as I find them less fatiguing than IEMs.
The problem is they don't stay well in my ears. So I'll try the smaller Toneking ROS1 (shipping). If they fit well, I plan to search something with same size and better SQ. That's why I need informations how the size of these several models reviewed here compare...

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #27,182 of 75,277
@ctaxxxx : Why not 4.4 mm. instead since you already placed order AMP4, hehe.:kissing:
2 days ago, I just got AMP4 +CA02 adapter. Every my 2.5 mm. earbuds sound more 3D holographic, wider soundstage and transparency.
For cable, I read some review of Penon OS849, it got 2 quite possitive reviews from Twister6 and Audio123. Also, its price is more affordable than well known and big brand cables. Penon has various connector options that may meet your need too.

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #27,183 of 75,277
@ctaxxxx : Why not 4.4 mm. instead since you already placed order AMP4, hehe.:kissing:
2 days ago, I just got AMP4 +CA02 adapter. Every my 2.5 mm. earbuds sound more 3D holographic, wider soundstage and transparency.
For cable, I read some review of Penon OS849, it got 2 quite possitive reviews from Twister6 and Audio123. Also, its price is more affordable than well known and big brand cables. Penon has various connector options that may meet your need too.

But then I could only use AMP4. I have adapters for 2.5mm that I can use with 3.5mm or 4.4mm. It's not very cost effective for me to go straight to 4.4mm at the moment.

I would prefer pure Copper over SPC for the Svara L. It feels a bit much when the cable will be more expensive than the earphone itself, especially when I will only be using it for that bud.

edit: VE makes a really cheap SPC cable. Wonder if I should go for that, though I doubt the quality...

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #27,184 of 75,277
I've been wanting to hear these. Listening to budget buds with their boosted bass makes me want try something similar, but with higher fidelity. I would need a 2.5mm cable though...

How is this? - LINK

unfortunately i haven't try them with balanced. i mainly use my svara L with a bluetooth wire.
yes, the budget earbuds nowadays does excellent job at bass that make them rival even the TOTL lines. but when it comes to mid to (especially) treble resolution and soundstage, i haven't found budget to mid priced buds that can compete. some mid priced like the red demun have sweet sounding mids though,but i think you already know this:ksc75smile:

for favorite bass sound, i also like the Willsound mk2 beside the Svara L

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #27,185 of 75,277
Nice to know chinmie, I really like my Svara L and just got shipping notice of the Willsound Mk2 today, waiting patiently now

Jan 16, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #27,186 of 75,277
Penon BS1 Official Review Now on Head-Fi

Enjoy! :)

https://head-fi.org/showcase/penon-bs1-official-version.22858/reviews#review-19712

photo_2017-12-10_23-14-44.jpg

Jan 16, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #27,188 of 75,277
I do hope Svara brings back the original L as I imagine many of the glowing impressions concerning it are of this version. I kind of want to baby it as replacement is not likely.

I really should get back to trying Mojito as I did like it a lot but preferred Masya, and replaced that as my top bud with both CampFreds.

Jan 16, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #27,189 of 75,277
Hi, guys!

Just wanna ask your opinions regarding the Shozy Cygnus if it's still a worthy buy especially in this day and age where there are lots of buds offered in every price range possible? Or are there better ones out there with possibly the same warm, accurate, and forward mids signature?

I'm looking for something in between the Toneking Ting and the TY Hi-Z 150s. A bit warmer/bit more low end and has more body on the timbre than the Ting but definitely less bassy than the 150s and has forward and smooth mids. Fit is also a must as I'm planning to use this for sleeping. Looking to hear your suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #27,191 of 75,277
Jan 16, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #27,192 of 75,277
I try to avoid using more expensive buds when I'm in bed, as I know one day it won't be a stray foam that is lying next to me, it will be a detached ear piece (probably with the cable wrapped round my neck)! :)

Yeah, I'm afraid as well to break my babies may it be cheap or expensive. That's why I don't really listen to buds or even iem when sleeping. I just use it 'til I feel sleepy enough then I remove it from my ears before eventually going to sleep.

Jan 16, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #27,193 of 75,277
Yeah, I'm afraid as well to break my babies may it be cheap or expensive. That's why I don't really listen to buds or even iem when sleeping. I just use it 'til I feel sleepy enough then I remove it from my ears before eventually going to sleep.

I use my less expensive buds. Sometimes I take them out before I fall asleep, sometimes I don't, hence my worry :)

I quite like my Seahf F150C for this, but have a load more recently, so spoiled for choice. I'm sure someone will answer your main question though.

Sorry you dislike them so much! :wink: j/k j/k

Sean's hype-train is speeding up! (seems justified though :)

I'm getting tempted, even though I shoudln't. :)

Jan 16, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #27,194 of 75,277
okay...something strange happen with my **** PT-15 or my XD-05 amp I don't know but I wonder if it happen to anybody.

Did someone get ELECTROCUTED by their earbuds? Especially metal one (i guess)? Especially PT-15???

Got some little shock to right ear so I stop using them right away....first time it happen.

Jan 16, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #27,195 of 75,277
okay...something strange happen with my **** PT-15 or my XD-05 amp I don't know but I wonder if it happen to anybody.

Did someone get ELECTROCUTED by their earbuds? Especially metal one (i guess)? Especially PT-15???

Got some little shock to right ear so I stop using them right away....first time it happen.

I have experienced electric shock when using the AuGlamour RX-1 with the Zishan Z1 as a DAC/AMP from the PC at work. I now only use plastic-shelled earbuds with the USB-powered Zishan Z1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back