Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 16, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #27,197 of 74,628
Hi, guys!

Just wanna ask your opinions regarding the Shozy Cygnus if it's still a worthy buy especially in this day and age where there are lots of buds offered in every price range possible? Or are there better ones out there with possibly the same warm, accurate, and forward mids signature?

I'm looking for something in between the Toneking Ting and the TY Hi-Z 150s. A bit warmer/bit more low end and has more body on the timbre than the Ting but definitely less bassy than the 150s and has forward and smooth mids. Fit is also a must as I'm planning to use this for sleeping. Looking to hear your suggestions.

Thanks!
You’ve just described the Shozy BK! Spend the extra on it. Cygnus is not worth $80 anymore maybe $60 I feel that’s why I recommend people buy it used, it’s good but the BK is much better at achieving the ‘shozy’ sound.

Shozy BK is worth the price because it’s exactly what you described and is absolutely the best midrange I’ve heard in an earbud. ForwRd, naturally slightly warm, timbre is perfect, everything in the midrange is perfect.

I love it’s midrange too much lol. But yeah if you have $150 buy it... You will not regret it especially on a good source with separation and soundstage.

If you don’t, get a second hand Cygnus for $50 or under. Don’t overspend on it it’s not worth the retail anymore as it’s getting slightly dated (put it’s still good overall)

But i have both and I’d rather save up for BK and have that as my only choice for this sound signature. Once I got the BK it became my daily choice, that and the BS1

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #27,198 of 74,628
okay...something strange happen with my **** PT-15 or my XD-05 amp I don't know but I wonder if it happen to anybody.

Did someone get ELECTROCUTED by their earbuds? Especially metal one (i guess)? Especially PT-15???

Got some little shock to right ear so I stop using them right away....first time it happen.

are you using them with PC? maybe bad grounding? I've never experience electric shock when using it with battery powered ones like DAP or laptops. i used to get shocked a lot when recording guitars to PC back in the days.. i can imagine getting shocked in the ears :dizzy_face:

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #27,199 of 74,628
Yeah, I'm afraid as well to break my babies may it be cheap or expensive. That's why I don't really listen to buds or even iem when sleeping. I just use it 'til I feel sleepy enough then I remove it from my ears before eventually going to sleep.

I fall asleep with buds in my ears (listening to trance) and my dap shuts off after 45 min. If I wake up in the middle of the night.. then rinse and repeat. So basically I have buds in my ears all night. My sleepy time buds of choice are either the new or old graphenes because (a) they sound great and (b) their stems aren't so thick that they bother me when my head's on the side and (c) they are inexpensive enough that if I break them, it won't be the end of the world. But so far they have lasted like champs.

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #27,200 of 74,628
okay...something strange happen with my **** PT-15 or my XD-05 amp I don't know but I wonder if it happen to anybody.

Did someone get ELECTROCUTED by their earbuds? Especially metal one (i guess)? Especially PT-15???

Got some little shock to right ear so I stop using them right away....first time it happen.

I have experienced electric shock when using the AuGlamour RX-1 with the Zishan Z1 as a DAC/AMP from the PC at work. I now only use plastic-shelled earbuds with the USB-powered Zishan Z1.

During my Christmas vacation, I had my Zishan Z2 and Walnut F1 connected to my Mint Linux Netbook, using a Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Charging Hub with 60W Power Adapter (BC 1.2 Charging Support) - and whenever I used my audio cables with un-insulated MMCX
connectors, my ears were getting small shocks.

At home, when they're connected to my PC and an Anker Quick Charge 3.0 63W 5-Port USB Wall Charger - and not to the Plugable Hub, I don't get shocked.

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #27,201 of 74,628
But then I could only use AMP4. I have adapters for 2.5mm that I can use with 3.5mm or 4.4mm. It's not very cost effective for me to go straight to 4.4mm at the moment.

I would prefer pure Copper over SPC for the Svara L. It feels a bit much when the cable will be more expensive than the earphone itself, especially when I will only be using it for that bud.

edit: VE makes a really cheap SPC cable. Wonder if I should go for that, though I doubt the quality...

VE Basic Cable : Espresso is the pure copper $10. It might be fit your bills as the lowest price. :ok_hand:

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #27,202 of 74,628
During my Christmas vacation, I had my Zishan Z2 and Walnut F1 connected to my Mint Linux Netbook, using a Plugable 7-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Charging Hub with 60W Power Adapter (BC 1.2 Charging Support) - and whenever I used my audio cables with un-insulated MMCX
connectors, my ears were getting small shocks.

At home, when they're connected to my PC and an Anker Quick Charge 3.0 63W 5-Port USB Wall Charger - and not to the Plugable Hub, I don't get shocked.

Lol, sorry for this bad joke from your earbuds, we know were hardcore audiophile when we accept this kind of crualty from our badass earbuds. So its never more than small shock I guess....I really suspect my computer about this, as it make other problem with my DAC-AMP I plug it in....like BIG BEEEEEEP NOISE, another crual treatment that scare the shyt out of me as it litteraly pierce my ears and make me scream What. Thinking getting rid of window crap and install Linux....what a contradictory era we live in were technology created for making our life easier transform it to hell by his obscurantist constraint!

Anyway, just hope to not have brain damage, life is already enough focked up.

PT-15 and Mrz Tomahawk will not be used with my HP laptop anymore.

How do we know a MMCX cable is insulated....its a 30$ one that I use. Not nice that it isnt insulated.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #27,203 of 74,628
are you using them with PC? maybe bad grounding? I've never experience electric shock when using it with battery powered ones like DAP or laptops. i used to get shocked a lot when recording guitars to PC back in the days.. i can imagine getting shocked in the ears :dizzy_face:
Yeah, its little shock like the one you get with the electrified pencil sell in ''funny store'' if you know what I mean.

I think you confirm here my tough about computer....I should not try to find a better to ground it, just put it far under the ground and forget about his existence. HP=Highly Phony.

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #27,204 of 74,628
Thank you for these informations.
I ve got the DIY mx760 graphene, and want to use earbuds as an office alternative to my Zeus XR Adel. Not SQ-wise of course, but as I find them less fatiguing than IEMs.
The problem is they don't stay well in my ears. So I'll try the smaller Toneking ROS1 (shipping). If they fit well, I plan to search something with same size and better SQ. That's why I need informations how the size of these several models reviewed here compare...

For DIY graphene O.D.size, in fact it use Beyerdynamic DP100 shell, not MX760. DP100 shell size is in-between MX500 shell and PK shell. I guess its O.D. around 16.5-16.7 mm. It is compatible with 15.4 mm. driver as same as MX500 earbuds. While Pk shell is compatible with 14.6 mm driver.

P.S. Wow you own summit-fi Zeus, then no earbuds here could beat its SQ especially detail retrieval of Zeus. I would like to try EE legend X, the new one that show-off in Portafest 2018.

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #27,205 of 74,628
Yeah, its little shock like the one you get with the electrified pencil sell in ''funny store'' if you know what I mean.

I think you confirm here my tough about computer....I should not try to find a better to ground it, just put it far under the ground and forget about his existence. HP=Highly Phony.

or you could just sit on a chair with rubber soles, raise your feet of the ground while wearing the earbuds, and also raise your hand to not touching the desk or the PC (head fi - style yoga pose) :grin:

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #27,206 of 74,628
I've been shocked by a variety of buds and IEMs. I think it may be static discharging up the cables. (At work, I have source (phone) and DAC/amp in a lab coat pocket). When the humidity is low, I get shocked all the time when wearing Tyvek lab coats (even without earbuds), so I suspect it is more general static discharge than a particular bud. Maybe the cables are like lightning rods! It is unpleasant though for sure.

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #27,207 of 74,628
IMG_2853.JPG

Share ZoomFred...
After getting input from several member, this has been finalize on the tuning.

I would say it has a big sound stage with authority in every Freq. a bit warm n sweet and fun to listen to.

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #27,208 of 74,628
I've been shocked by a variety of buds and IEMs. I think it may be static discharging up the cables. (At work, I have source (phone) and DAC/amp in a lab coat pocket). When the humidity is low, I get shocked all the time when wearing Tyvek lab coats (even without earbuds), so I suspect it is more general static discharge than a particular bud. Maybe the cables are like lightning rods! It is unpleasant though for sure.
Okay, this is possible too, as its -20 outside and all heating is at max and air is dry as hell and static is out of control to the point that when I go to sleep its my blanket make psychadelic firework.....it make sens. Can it happen with non metal earbuds too?

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #27,209 of 74,628
...PT-15 and Mrz Tomahawk will not be used with my HP laptop anymore.

How do we know a MMCX cable is insulated....its a 30$ one that I use. Not nice that it isnt insulated.

If the MMCX connectors have plastic insulation, like these -

shure-img_1.png

- and the earphones have a plastic shell, then you shouldn't get shocked.

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #27,210 of 74,628
If the MMCX connectors have plastic insulation, like these -

shure-img_1.png

- and the earphones have a plastic shell, then you shouldn't get shocked.

Thanks man.
Did the above Tinaudio T2 cable is insulated then?
**** PT-15 cable don't look insulated....should exchange cable perhaps.
P1160033.JPG

PS: I think that they are, with 30$ silver plated cable it have a little space in conenction, and with the T2 it do not have one....okay, will plug it right away, if I survive, will confirm this!

EDIT: Tinaudio T2 cable solve the problem. No shock treatment anymore. I'm alive! I'm alive!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back