Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 22, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #26,371 of 75,538
Thanks for your great summaries of the TOTL earbuds. The summary is truly detailed and yet succinct.

Reading your post simply put me on top of the whole earbuds market again!

Since I can’t get Kinera, I have to try BS to see if it fits. Then, i would consider BK if BS can’t satisfy myself. K might be too heavy for ears.

Thanks again for the great summary.

@redkingjoe : Recently, there is no many new Pk-sized shell earbuds release. I can think of only 'VE Zen Lite (diameter 16.2mm as same as PK-sized)' that is included when you buy VE RA Amplifiers. However I never tried Zen 2.0 (diameter 16.9mm MX500-sized shell) and other cables version e.g. Oyaide 4n silver, Cardass Litz. In VE closed group, some said Zen Lite is nearly same Zen 2.0 sound with just minor downgrade cause 'Lite' has a smaller-sized driver. I am not confident enough that Kinera buds (which now already out of stock and Kinera say it will not further produce more) is beyond Shozy BK in every aspects since I ever tried Shozy BK just 5 minutes with full stock sponges. Within that 5 minutes, I personally prefer Kinera buds over Shozy BK. Penon BS1 shell size is nearly similar to MX500 shell size. Perhaps a bit 0.1mm smaller than MX500. If shell size is your very first priority concern, I don't recommend it. Even a new released astrotec LYRA collection earbud is around MX500 shell size or might bigger and heavier.. In PK-sized shell category, we have very few choice.

Update : I forget K's earphone brand. They just released 2 their new Flagship earbuds.
1) Poseidon (海神) 457$, Silver housing, 215Ohm, N55 magnet strength (more than 1.3 Tesla), driver diameter 14.6 mm., front cover diameter 16.2 mm., mmcx detachable cable
2) Ling (铃) 229$, Brass housing, 195Ohm, N52 magnet strength (more than 1 Tesla), driver diameter 14.5 mm., front cover diameter 16.1 mm.

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #26,372 of 75,538
Was the Penon BS1 Official a limited edition run? I don't see it available on either the Penon website or Penon AliExpress Store.
The one called the Penon BS1 Experience is available for USD$39. Is that the one being compared to the USD$165 Shozy BK?

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #26,374 of 75,538
Pffft. Who needs the Kinera's or the BS1's... FAAEAL Snow-lotus 2.0's in da house!

Although NewToySyndrome might be in full effect here, they are sounding friggin' great right out of the box.

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #26,375 of 75,538

Thanks! I guess it was crazy of me to expect to find a Penon branded earbud on the Penon website, rather than a completely different domain... :wink:

Since the BS1 Official 2.5mm TRRS is the same price as the K's 500 2.5mm TRRS (which I have, and really like), has there been any comparison of these two earbuds?

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #26,376 of 75,538
@seanc6441 hmmm maybe you're forming opinions based on price too easily, the bs1 does only cost 60$ atm which I'm guessing they're already making a profit off regardless of the marked up price later on.

Which means it cost less than half of the bk but sounds as good if not better

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #26,377 of 75,538
What's daps do you people recommend for the higher level earbuds?

1Z and MX500 original.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-mx500-lightweight-in-ear-headphones-blue.8620/

deast.JPG

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #26,379 of 75,538
The BS1 vocals thicken up nicely if you apply a slight EQ, surprisingly I haven’t noticed any odd tonality like I normally do when EQing ‘balanced’ earbuds.

By applying the EQ bump from around 150-1000 (very wide mild bump) I’ve basically gotten these to a level where they sound more like my shozy BK is thickness of vocals, especially deeper vocals. Strings in the lower frequencies gain more texture and body and mid bass gets a slight bump.

It sounds astonishingly close to my bk now with a bigger 3D soundstage and smoother treble.

Still love my shozy bk but this earbud is making it hard for me to put it down. This earbud will be the highest ranked on the earbud survey soon :)
i have this Bang and olufsen EQ at the taskbar...

but not sure if its works on headphones

Dec 22, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #26,380 of 75,538
@seanc6441 hmmm maybe you're forming opinions based on price too easily, the bs1 does only cost 60$ atm which I'm guessing they're already making a profit off regardless of the marked up price later on.

Which means it cost less than half of the bk but sounds as good if not better

The BS1 Official 2.5mm TRRS is USD$109 on their website - where are you seeing it for USD$60?

Dec 22, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #26,381 of 75,538
I might overrate Kinera Buds, but it is not only me. You can see my previous Eng-translated review from one of my local famous enthusiast and another one from Mr. JaaanJann who usually plays all high-end & summit-fi stuffs inside telegram closed group are as below.

There is PK1 vs Kinera Buds comparison from one of local famous audio enthusiasts in my local forum (comment no.29).
English translated as follow.
"Using FiiO Q1 markII as a source with volume matched (same loudness). Kinera is a tad less bright tonality than PK1. Vocal thickness of Kinera Buds is leaner and a bit more forward than PK1. Kinera Buds has thicker bass note while a bit lower impact, but has a tad deeper sub-bass. For detail retrieval and instrument interval spacing, both are neck and neck. However Kinera has wider soundstage and more depth which make it more 3D holographic soundstage. Furthermore, Kinera Buds has sweeter mid-range frequency especially piano sound is very pleasant for me. It's a pity that Kinera company will not released next earbud product soon."

kinera jan02.png

kinera jan01.png

Are these the Kinera's of which you speak (and which are no longer available)?
Yes, It is limited Kinera buds. No more production. Already sold out.

Dec 22, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #26,384 of 75,538
I might overrate Kinera Buds, but it is not only me. You can see my previous Eng-translated review from one of my local famous enthusiast and another one from Mr. JaaanJann who usually plays all high-end & summit-fi stuffs inside telegram closed group are as below.

Yes, It is limited Kinera buds. No more production. Already sold out.

I do think the bk is superior to the kineras, but I kinda like kineras tuning, just personal preference

Dec 22, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #26,385 of 75,538
If you own the exp version which is 39$ the official only cost 60$
Or you could just Facebook or email them saying you want the 2 for 99$ like I did... pretty nice of em

Thanks! So the reduced price is part of a package deal.

Well, with me getting ready to assemble something like 15-20 sets of earbuds (~50% as gifts - alas not to be ready before Christmas, due to having to re-order wire...), I don't really need to be ordering another $100 of earbuds... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back