Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 6, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #25,711 of 75,423
Am I the only one using Zen 2.0 with an iPhone (+KaiserTone), and being content with the sound? I honestly think comfort is more of an issue than amping. And yes, I did try other/better amps, but I don't think that changed the basic tonality or sound signature. As well, a quick look in the E10K thread seems to indicate the amp is fine with Zen 2.0 impedance and sensitivity.

Funny that you should mention that! A few hours ago I thought that I'd try the Zen 2.0 off of the Fiio BTR1 (connected via bluetooth to my Samsung S7). The btr1 is rated at
25 mW into 32 ohms, so I wasn't expecting miracles when it came to the Zen 2.0, and I basically wanted to verify that the btr1 would not be able to drive the Zen 2.0's to satisfaction.

Well, it's 2 hours later and I've been very satisfied - sounds awesome. So I agree with you that it's not all about amping with the Zen 2.0 (like I also thought it was).

Edit: having said the above, I just hooked up my most awesome little C&C BH amp to the BTR1, and I must admit that the Zen 2.0's really do respond well to amping and they sound more than awesome now - they sound freakishly awesome lol. So yeah, the 2.0's sound great without amping (and with the right synergy) and it's much more convenient, but they do love some good amping to full fill their destiny :)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #25,712 of 75,423
I'll need to dig out my Headroom MS16's and have a listen, if I can give up listening with my K300's and take them out :)

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #25,713 of 75,423
MS16 definitely grabbed my attention and I've been listening to it for about 5-6 hours without stopping pretty much. They have insanely good vocals (even if nasal at times) and details in the mid-range, paired with clean extended treble and bass is present so that you actually get some sub bass as well, truly outstanding sound. Sound stage is mostly perceived as average due to forward vocals, but it's atmospheric - very reminiscent of RX-1 yet again.

These buds actually have more refinement than I could've ever imagined in this segment. They need some proper reviews and a wider audience, quickly.
i may just get this one for next purchase...

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #25,715 of 75,423
This intrigues me. As I just rediscovering my RX-1 with the new porous foam I got form AE. (this fragile foams works miraculously on every earbud I had - great on everything including tomahawk and RX-1, except on vido). I can stress how much everyone should buy 1 or 2 packs.

I used to complain a lot about lack of satisfying "kick" on RX-1 and with new foams it seem to fix the problem for me.

So, I found a lot of ms16 with various price but they look essentially the same? Can someone confirm if they're same?
is there a link to buy these porous foams u are talking about?

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #25,717 of 75,423
I'll need to dig out my Headroom MS16's and have a listen, if I can give up listening with my K300's and take them out :)

You're a bit too prolific with the buds bud! I shouldn't read your posts lol. I don't really need any more buds at the moment, but what does that matter?

Given that I love the graphenes and the Seahf 150C's, what's your recommendation? If it wasn't for my penchance for <$30 buds, you'd probably say the EBX's I'm sure (I might get that one down the road).

Hit me!

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #25,719 of 75,423
You're a bit too prolific with the buds bud! I shouldn't read your posts lol. I don't really need any more buds at the moment, but what does that matter?

Given that I love the graphenes and the Seahf 150C's, what's your recommendation? If it wasn't for my penchance for <$30 buds, you'd probably say the EBX's I'm sure (I might get that one down the road).

Hit me!
I don't want to encourage you any more than you do yourself but FAAEAL Snow-lotus 2.0 64 ohm, K's 300 and the EBX are getting a lot of use at the moment

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #25,720 of 75,423
MS16 definitely grabbed my attention and I've been listening to it for about 5-6 hours without stopping pretty much. They have insanely good vocals (even if nasal at times) and details in the mid-range, paired with clean extended treble and bass is present so that you actually get some sub bass as well, truly outstanding sound. Sound stage is mostly perceived as average due to forward vocals, but it's atmospheric - very reminiscent of RX-1 yet again.

These buds actually have more refinement than I could've ever imagined in this segment. They need some proper reviews and a wider audience, quickly.
does the MS16 have a good of amount of depth ?

Dec 6, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #25,722 of 75,423
Headroom MS16
Dynamic Driver

The Headroom MS16 are special. They are true open-back earbuds (not a decoration, blocking the back mesh will drastically harm the sound) so the sound is airy and spacy. There is no noise isolation, obviously, and people around you will be able to hear your music playing.

These are some of the most natural sounding earbuds so far. Easily comparable to the classic VE Monk. In my opinion? Better mids and gentler highs, but Monk seem to have a bit more stable bass response on high volumes. The eye-catching looks, great build quality and superb sound make these earbuds one of my best and most surprising purchases so far! Even if these won't be your best pair, you will be shocked by the level of quality you can get for less than $10.

Black/silver + blue cable:

Buy on
Silver + white cable:

Buy on
Pros

Cons
  • Very mature and clean sound quality. The bass is punchy and the highs are vivid but gentle.
  • True open-back earbuds, no gimmicks.
  • Solid build quality, especially for earbuds.
  • A very unique design, to say the least.
  • A super attractive price, and a Type-C option for those who don't have a 3.5mm socket.

• On unsafely high volumes, the bass can lose some of its stability (as in, slight distortion).
  • They might sound a bit shouty initially, because of the bump in the mids.
  • Since these are open-back, there is some sound leakage from the back.
Package & Accessories

Package:
Hard plastic (clear) + paperboard

Ear Pads - Foam:
2 × Black

0fAqk22.jpg
DkPgcYc.jpg
yGRRE0V.jpg
CjYQYCS.jpg
elCbN5r.jpg

Build & Materials

Housing:
Metal + plastic (matte), open-back, metal faceplate

Remote:
Metal, triple-button*

Y-Split:
Metal, soft strain relief

Cable:
Silicone-coated (smooth), 118cm, twisted, soft, straight

Plug:
Metal, straight, short, soft strain relief

• The play/pause button is on one side, while the volume buttons and the mic are on the other side.
  • The volume buttons work on both iPhone and Android devices.
9txOfq3.jpg
0NZh5Kd.jpg
8yx0401.jpg
rydd44e.jpg
9vXO2vM.jpg
COQvx7n.jpg
1AW0slj.jpg

Comfort & Fit

Oddly enough, these earbuds are the first actually comfortable earbuds in my collection. I'm using them for several hours straight and my ears don't get sore. Getting a proper fit is very straightforward, no tinkering is required.

Lows / Bass

Excellent sub-bass and an accurate bass response overall, especially on low to medium loudness. Very punchy and yet balanced and not overbearing. On unsafely high volumes, the bass can lose some of its stability (as in, slight distortion).

Mids / Vocals

The mids are amazingly clear and crisp. They are warm, but unlike **** Tank, they aren't too warm. The bass sounds more balanced and more vocal-friendly, while Tank seems to be more bass-oriented. The mids sound a bit shouty/forward initially, especially if you're used to earphones with recessed mids, but your hearing will adjust in just a few minutes and you'll forget that you're wearing these earbuds at all.

Highs / Treble

Extremely clear and subtle highs. Detail is quite delicate and accurate and there doesn't seem to be any kind of harshness. Tonally they are somewhere in between neutral and bright. I found these highs suitable for most music genres.

Frequency Response
MS16.fr.png

Reviewed on 2017-08-09 20:04:44 (UTC)

Dec 7, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #25,725 of 75,423
Anybody know what k samsara sound like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back