Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 12, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #24,781 of 75,149
Any idea of the difference between the Graphene Nicehck old vs. new? The specs are a little different, frequency range. I ordered the "old" 2017 for $22.42 11.11 price. Thanks!

Quiet, the one you have bought is excellent. With the new one we still do not know what differences of sound it will have with the "old".

Dedicate some time to find the combination of foams that best suits your tastes.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #24,783 of 75,149
How do you cut out a donut from the thin monk foams? They seem awful delicate. . .I'd like to try the thin foam donut, so would like your insights into the cutting, please. . .thanks!

Well because I'm a perfectionist when it comes to sound tonality I have since changed to the cheapo thin full foams (also cut into donut) that Golov suggested to me awhile back. They are like a rougher textured VE monk thin (in black) but they block just a tiny bit more sound thus taming the harshness of the treble slightly better whilst retaining the sparkly sound that was lacking with heigi or full ve monk thin foams.

The sound is absolutely perfect now on my stardust since the thin black donut foams give the right balance of bass, tamed treble, mid thickness (not too much as before with heigi/full monk thins) and most importantly an airy quality that is impossible to achieve on the stardust with heigi foams.

As for the actual cutting process it's very easy (just practice once on a throwaway pair of full foams first). Here's what to do.

- Grab a small scissors that's sharp enough to cut with the very top point, make sure the blades are smaller and you can make precise cuts.
- holding the foam under light, with the full front side facing you, you will see through the foam the outline of he circle cut out on the back.
- Stick the scissors through the front gently and start cutting around the outline matching the cut on the back.
- make small cuts and rotate the foam each time until you have a full circle

Voila! now you have yourself a thin donut foam for ultimate clarity.

I'm not using the ve monk donut of the stardust anymore because it was too harsh on the trreble. The foam quality is better on the ve monk the cheap black thin foams, but the sound balance is better on my current configuration.

You can buy 100 of these cheap black foams here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...p-Ear-Pads-Cover-Replacement/32790634729.html

They are dirt cheap, I can't work out how they sell them so cheap and not make a loss lol.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #24,785 of 75,149
if you like treble, you might want to try the Liebesleid. I enjoyed them more than the BK on the treble side. the BK has a harder sounding treble (like hitting a glass with a spoon) while the Liebesleid has a more pleasantly dispersed treble (like hitting a glass with a fork). sorry for the analogy, i hope it can describe them clear enough :ksc75smile:
It's also $100 more expensive so I will have to pass :)

The thing with he shozy bk is the treble is very tame with full or heigi foams, the sound is incredibly thick too, too much for my taste. With monk thin foams it's slightly thinner and slightly better treble, but it's still not right for me. With thin monk's cut into donut it's perfect thickness of sound but the treble is too harsh. With the new cut donut thin black foams the treble is managable and just ever so slightly rough but not enough to be a problem. So now it's very very nice.

Ideally I'd be looking for these black foams but just a better quality grade of softer foam because they are a bit scrathcy... but you can't always get what you want. For now I'm satisfied and the shozy bk is awesome.

For the record though, I think the shozy cygnus does treble right, really crisp and nicely bright but slightly rolled off to avoid any harshness, also the mid bass bump is quite pleasant, altough the quality of the bass is better on stardust. If they took the cygnus treble and mid bass into the stardust toneality and resolution I think I'd prefer it over how the stardust is currently, but it's extremely fine margins as the cygnus and stardust sound so similar overall.

I've never heard a grado headphone but I can imagine the shozy BK is the equivilant in the earbud world lol. Maybe one of the middle of the line versions not the kill your eardrums treble head versions :)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #24,786 of 75,149
Well because I'm a perfectionist when it comes to sound tonality I have since changed to the cheapo thin full foams (also cut into donut) that Golov suggested to me awhile back. They are like a rougher textured VE monk thin (in black) but they block just a tiny bit more sound thus taming the harshness of the treble slightly better whilst retaining the sparkly sound that was lacking with heigi or full ve monk thin foams.

The sound is absolutely perfect now on my stardust since the thin black donut foams give the right balance of bass, tamed treble, mid thickness (not too much as before with heigi/full monk thins) and most importantly an airy quality that is impossible to achieve on the stardust with heigi foams.

As for the actual cutting process it's very easy (just practice once on a throwaway pair of full foams first). Here's what to do.

- Grab a small scissors that's sharp enough to cut with the very top point, make sure the blades are smaller and you can make precise cuts.
- holding the foam under light, with the full front side facing you, you will see through the foam the outline of he circle cut out on the back.
- Stick the scissors through the front gently and start cutting around the outline matching the cut on the back.

I'm not using the ve monk donut of the stardust anymore because it was too harsh on the trreble. The foam quality is better on the ve monk the cheap black thin foams, but the sound balance is better on my current configuration.

You can buy 100 of these cheap black foams here https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...p-Ear-Pads-Cover-Replacement/32790634729.html

They are dirt cheap, I can't work out how they sell them so cheap and not make a loss lol.
Great, thanks!

Nov 12, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #24,787 of 75,149
Great, thanks!
As you can tell, the stardust is more picky than the cygnus but find the perfect source/foams etc and you will be rewarded with a lush, exciting and powerful sound that is amazing. They are so forward though so if that's not your thing look elsewhere, or get the cygnus is only slightly forward and more neutral toneality but equally exciting IMO.

Nov 12, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #24,788 of 75,149

glad to hear the foam work as an alternative to standard full foam and porous ve foam. And 100 pcs for a mere dollar it's baffling. Mine on its way.

Nov 12, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #24,789 of 75,149
glad to hear the foam work as an alternative to standard full foam and porous ve foam. And 100 pcs for a mere dollar it's baffling. Mine on its way.
I mean they aren't the best foams ever but they are so cheap it doesn't matter and can be tried out if you don't have the cash to spend on VE thin foams which are expensive... Kind of wish I could buy VE monk foams without all the eartips and rings, which I don't have a use for.

I'm swapping between standard donut foams (non heigi) and these thin cheap donuts I made. The standard are perfectly taming and smoothing out the rough treble, but the sound is not airy enough and so forward that you are constantly engaged to the music and cannot have it "in the background" so to speak. Still nothing as much as the heigi donut but not airy enough.

The one's i mentioned above are very airy, and whilst they have a more airy quality and tamer high's the monk thin's and a less intense sound than the standard or heigi donuts.... They sound abit rough and harsh as the stardust seem's to be without thicker foams.

I'll be looking out for a foam in between thickness of standard full foam and monk thin foam that's softer and slightly thicker than the cheap black foams.

I feel like when I spent the money on the stardust it would be a shame to not get the absolute best sound out of it in terms of foam choice.

If anyone knows of such a foam in between ve monk thin and standard foam, please please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #24,790 of 75,149
Nov 12, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #24,791 of 75,149

Ty for the foams already placed an order.

Nov 12, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #24,793 of 75,149
I've ordered Headroom MS16 yesterday but the processing time is only 2 more days. Is this a regular occurrence or should I just extend it and not worry about it?

I never really took notice of the processing times previously because the sellers I have used in the past normally ship within 48 hrs. FWIW, I ordered something yesterday and the processing time shows up as 8 days.

Nov 12, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #24,795 of 75,149

Users who are viewing this thread

Back