Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 11, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #23,656 of 75,861
Took the survey. Are we rating earbuds on overall quality (such as including build, comfort, fit, etc), or just on sound quality alone?

Also, submitted a response to add the Blur buds (& Diomnes Lvl 2) since they have gotten some mentions on this forum. I may have to try some of these other buds, depending on the results. Still haven't decided if I want to drop $700 on the CAX Red Dragon... I may keep my limit around $300 honestly.
I was thinking just sound quality since comfort/fit varies from to person to person. I'm not sure if people find build important, though.

Also, I couldn't find the prices (or any information in general) for either the Blur buds or the Diomnes. Could you provide the info?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #23,658 of 75,861
I was thinking just sound quality since comfort/fit varies from to person to person. I'm not sure if people find build important, though.

Also, I couldn't find the prices (or any information in general) for either the Blur buds or the Diomnes. Could you provide the info?

Both buds can only be purchased by their respective creators through Facebook or email (Wong and Abnormal Sound). So I guess that makes accessibility kind of hard and not qualified? The Cypherus buds were like that too though, despite the new website created recently.

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #23,659 of 75,861
Both buds can only be purchased by their respective creators through Facebook or email (Wong and Abnormal Sound). So I guess that makes accessibility kind of hard and not qualified? The Cypherus buds were like that too though, despite the new website created recently.
If you could provide the rough price range, that would be sufficient.

Oct 11, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #23,660 of 75,861
Oct 11, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #23,662 of 75,861
So MX985 ended up somewhere in the middle of your ranking? Do you intend to get graphene anytime soon? I wonder which position you will slot Graphene into?
I don't like MX985's artificial treble so much.
I have just bought Rose Masya, so next time(after a week or month) maybe I may get the graphene.
Everyone praises the sound of graphene, so I'm expecting but I do not know how its sound will feel really.:beyersmile:

Oct 11, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #23,663 of 75,861
Only other ones I can think of would be the Zen Black, I believe Asura Black as well. Perhaps the most expensive Blur model, too. It would kind of be like making a 2k+ IEM category. While there are options, there aren't many.

As far as whether they're better than sub-200: Danneq would put Red Dragon up against most full-sized headphones as far as quality goes, but you can probably count on one hand the amount of people in the world that currently own it. OK1 has been reported to have lackluster value for the cost by a fair margin. Mojito is one of the best classical earbuds made, especially for it's sound stage. Can't comment on the rest, for now at least.

@jogawag I hope you like the Masya, as I still think it's an utterly phenomenal earbud.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #23,664 of 75,861
i tried today mbp 13 -> usb to microusb anker powerline -> pha3 -> dual 3.5mm to 2.5mm balanced peterek adapter with rean connectors/socket and nucleotide wire -> ve zen 2.0 standard 2.5mm balanced.

guess what i did straight away? i contacted lee from veclan to get ve zen 2.0 with dual 3.5 for pha3!

btw what is the major difference between zen v1 and v2? why on old chart v2 is rated lower then v1? looks like we can not get v1 anymore while v1 monk is still available o_O

Oct 11, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #23,665 of 75,861
I don't like MX985's artificial treble so much.
I have just bought Rose Masya, so next time(after a week or month) maybe I may get the graphene.
Everyone praises the sound of graphene, so I'm expecting but I do not know how its sound will feel really.:beyersmile:
Rose Masya needs some real effort spent on getting the right fit and foam combination to bring out a full sound. Clarity is unreal though. I'm waiting for my ve monk ex pack to arrive before giving a verdict of the masya. Also going to burn it in for 50 hours for a fair review.

Most people suggested the full foams but I think you lose some of the magic detail with full foams. Going to try monk thin foam + cut a monk donut foam and put it over the thin to thicken up the seal for better low end.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #23,666 of 75,861
Do you think which Earbuds' Rating will change in particular?:ksc75smile:

Many, but not all of them. I only gave CAX Red Dragon 5 since I think it's much better than all other TOTL earbuds I've heard. Now I can give Shozy Stardust, CAX Black and some others 5 as well. Something like Vido can go up to 4 or 5 among budget earbuds as well as NiceNHK PK2. Those were 3 before.

Only other ones I can think of would be the Zen Black, I believe Asura Black as well. Perhaps the most expensive Blur model, too. It would kind of be like making a 2k+ IEM category. While there are options, there aren't many.

As far as whether they're better than sub-200: Danneq would put Red Dragon up against most full-sized headphones as far as quality goes, but you can probably count on one hand the amount of people in the world that currently own it. OK1 has been reported to have lackluster value for the cost by a fair margin. Mojito is one of the best classical earbuds made, especially for it's sound stage. Can't comment on the rest, for now at least.

@jogawag I hope you like the Masya, as I still think it's an utterly phenomenal earbud.

Of course! I forgot Zen Black! Those are around $350 or something.

I think I currently own the only pair of Red Dragon in existence. It was custom made for head fier ProLOL. When he decided to sell them he offered them to me. It was a bit cheaper than then original price but still a little bit over $600 with shipping. About $200 over my earbud budget I still could not imagine those passing me by. There are perhaps a handful of people who have heard them. The sound is really like full size headphones. The same is the case with CAX Black, just that the soundstage is smaller and more up front on CAX Black than on Red Dragon.

Apparently the cable on Red Dragon is what costs money. It really is like a small fire hose and not very portable at all.

By the way, just got the CampFred2 that I bought from @ricesteam . Thanks mate! Really nice. Need to compare them to my pair of CampFred.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #23,668 of 75,861
@Danneq It's your fault for me owning CampFred, now I have 3 Cypherus. Maybe Black one day, but happy with what I have.

Sorry!

And ProLoL said it was my fault that he custom ordered Red Dragon. My praise of CAX Black is what made him contact Cypherus. He tried the best earbud possible and then moved on to other hobbies. And the rest of us are still here. Heck, I enjoy my Vido and Monk+ despite owning some great TOTL earbuds. It's not just a hobby...

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #23,669 of 75,861
Rose Masya needs some real effort spent on getting the right fit and foam combination to bring out a full sound. Clarity is unreal though. I'm waiting for my ve monk ex pack to arrive before giving a verdict of the masya. Also going to burn it in for 50 hours for a fair review.

Most people suggested the full foams but I think you lose some of the magic detail with full foams. Going to try monk thin foam + cut a monk donut foam and put it over the thin to thicken up the seal for better low end.

Thank you to teach Masya's burn in time.
I have Mojito, but forget about burn in time.

And I'm waiting for my 3 VE ex packs too!

My PK brothers Preparing for Winter?
(all underwears are VE thin pad, and Cresyn Diy docomo PK2 / Diy MX500 PK2 overwears are Hiegi dounut pad,
Yuin PK3's are VE dounut pad[emphasize bass].)
winterWear.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #23,670 of 75,861
Thank you to teach Masya's burn in time.
I have Mojito, but forget about burn in time.

And I'm waiting for my 3 VE ex packs too!

My PK brothers Preparing for winter?
(all underwears are VE thin pad, and docomo PK1 / diy PK2 overwears are Hiegi dounut pad,
Yuin PK3's are VE dounut pad[emphasize bass].)
I always get mixed results with monk foams and thick donut foams above it. Always get a muddy sound or some frequencies too dull.

I hope if i add 2x monk thin foam (1 full, 1 donut cut out) I will get the same sound as heigi donut but with more rounded sound. We'll see!

My Masya's are crying out for a perfect foam to make it full but crystal clear. I will continue the search :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back