Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 11, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #23,641 of 75,861
If you including shipping, the CampFreds are over $200.

I don't think that shipping costs should be included, even if you have got a point.

How are people rating the Monk + higher than the TY (Hi-Z) 32ohm? I've got both those phones and the Monks sound like cheap trash compared to the TY. The TY have really good mids, a much clearer sound and are far more dynamic compared to the Monk+

I think the biggest problem with those particular ratings (and many others I guess) is that people don't necessarily have both because there's no way they'd rate the Monks higher if they did.

Do you own the first or second version of TY 32? The one with straight or L-shaped plug? I have only heard the first one but read that the second is not as good sounding as the first one. I like the neutralness of Monk+. TY32 is more fun but in the long run I might prefer Monk+...

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #23,642 of 75,861
I don't think that shipping costs should be included, even if you have got a point.

Do you own the first or second version of TY 32? The one with straight or L-shaped plug? I have only heard the first one but read that the second is not as good sounding as the first one. I like the neutralness of Monk+ TY32 is more fun but in the long run I might prefer Monk+...
L-shaped plug. I wouldn't even call it a contest to be honest. The Monks I have sound awful compared to the TY 32...dull and lifeless..no clarity to the sound. I got them both at the same time and as soon as I plugged in the TY 32s I regretted ordering the Monks. Normally I have to spend ages switching between phones before I can decide which one I prefer but the difference was so obvious with these and I've checked again a few times since, hoping the Monks would improve. I didn't burn them in at all though - do you think they need it?

Oct 11, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #23,644 of 75,861
I just swapped between the two listening to some hard rock, classical and electronic music. The Monks don't sound so awful on classical but the TY 32 still sounds much better. On rock the Monks have no texture in the mids, i.e. there's no crunch in the guitars. On JMJ Oxygene, the bass with the Monks is boomy and poorly defined. It's still a bit too strong with the TY 32 (it's the 2007 remaster and I think he overdid the bass) but it's quite a lot clearer...I can hear the attack part of the notes.

EDIT: I was using a Cayin N3 when I just wrote that. When I switched to a Shanling M1, the Monks were quite a lot better. Not better than the TY 32 but much closer.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #23,645 of 75,861
How are people rating the Monk + higher than the TY (Hi-Z) 32ohm? I've got both those phones and the Monks sound like cheap trash compared to the TY. The TY have really good mids, a much clearer sound and are far more dynamic compared to the Monk+

I think the biggest problem with those particular ratings (and many others I guess) is that people don't necessarily have both because there's no way they'd rate the Monks higher if they did.

For me Monk+ was my first Chinese Earbuds.
However, when I heard it for the first time, I heard an ambiguous treble and a blurred bass, so I suspected that it was a problem and bought the second one. And it was exactly the same sound, so I could not understand why this sound is popular, and I sold both of them.

The sound of TY 32ohm is V-shaped Sig, and overall it sounds convincing even if it is slightly hazy. So I still own it.

Edit:
BTW, I surprised the high evaluation of Rose Masya, so I could not stand it and I have bought it just now, even though having Rose Mojito!
I need to hate this ranking, for the contents of my wallet!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #23,647 of 75,861
Do you own the first or second version of TY 32? The one with straight or L-shaped plug? I have only heard the first one but read that the second is not as good sounding as the first one. I like the neutralness of Monk+. TY32 is more fun but in the long run I might prefer Monk+...

i have owned both, i like the L plug better. the straight plug is more controlled, but to me there are many more better substitute for it. the L plug is more unique sounding

Oct 11, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #23,648 of 75,861
i have owned both, i like the L plug better. the straight plug is more controlled, but to me there are many more better substitute for it. the L plug is more unique sounding
I really like them. Most of my IEMs are cheap KZs etc. The best I have are TFZ Exclusive 5 and I'd say the TY 32 buds are nearly up there with them, which is pretty good considering they cost 8 times less.

I definitely want to get some more earbuds if these are a good indication of the value out there.

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #23,651 of 75,861
Took the survey. Are we rating earbuds on overall quality (such as including build, comfort, fit, etc), or just on sound quality alone?

Also, submitted a response to add the Blur buds (& Diomnes Lvl 2) since they have gotten some mentions on this forum. I may have to try some of these other buds, depending on the results. Still haven't decided if I want to drop $700 on the CAX Red Dragon... I may keep my limit around $300 honestly.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #23,652 of 75,861

That's one reason why I am hesitant to do the ratings myself. As I get more experienced with earbuds, I feel that my personal ratings are constantly changing.

Also, I would probably give the Monk+'s, Vido's, Qian39's, EMX500's and Graphenes all a general rating of "amazing bang for the buck", and I would be happy to recommend any of them to anyone, so they all get a "5". But my personal ratings based on SQ would be Graphenes>EMX500>Qian39>Vido=Monk+, so based on that, they might get ratings of 5/4/3/2/2. And that's only right now - how about after I've added another 100 pairs to the collection lol.

So yeah, doing the rating is a bit challenging for me.

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #23,653 of 75,861
For me Monk+ was my first Chinese Earbuds.
However, when I heard it for the first time, I heard an ambiguous treble and a blurred bass, so I suspected that it was a problem and bought the second one. And it was exactly the same sound, so I could not understand why this sound is popular, and I sold both of them.

The sound of TY 32ohm is V-shaped Sig, and overall it sounds convincing even if it is slightly hazy. So I still own it.

Edit:
BTW, I surprised the high evaluation of Rose Masya, so I could not stand it and I have bought it just now, even though having Rose Mojito!
I need to hate this ranking, for the contents of my wallet!
You seem to own some high-end earbuds, which earbuds are your favorites?

Oct 11, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #23,654 of 75,861
Really liking the graphenes. Basically it's a Vi(agra)do

They are friggin' awesome, huh! I really love the bass: Clean, impact-full, detailed, and it seems to go lowwww (for an earbud, especially when amped) :) And great clarity and air throughout the FR. Pretty good indeed!

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #23,655 of 75,861
They are friggin' awesome, huh! I really love the bass: Clean, impact-full, detailed, and it seems to go lowwww (especially when amped) :) And great clarity and air throughout the FR. Pretty good indeed!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/nicehck-diy-graphene.22565/reviews

I don't know what they did with the Graphenes but it's one of the best buy of '17.
And it's even better than the Shozy BK ( $165 )

I'm already liking it. I read one needs to run this thing in. Just wondering how many hours does it need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back